Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 07:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,254 times

Advertisements

I was planning to go to the Leander job fair, but last night when I went to their web site it said the job fair had been cancelled. It doesn't say anything about rescheduling. If you've made flight reservations, I hope you can change them. I am just up in Dallas, so it's not a big deal for me to change my plans. None of the other districts have announced a job fair, as far as I've seen. Hopefully they're just waiting until after TAKS to do all of that and it's not that they don't need a lot of new teachers!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 08:06 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
https://jobs.leanderisd.org/Default.aspx#SearchResults

you can see that there are a few opening posted currently but I would not be surprised if the district has major tax crunch limiting the budget--
anyone read anything/heard anything

several districts in DFW area have built new schools to handle homes/population increase in past few years and now find themselves with not enough money to hire teachers/staff to actually open the schools...Crowley is one ISD in that situation...Leander has two elem schools set to open fall of 09--maybe both won't be staffed...
believe me--they knew when TAKS was when they scheduled the job fair--and the people at the job fair are not teaching in the classes for the most part--probably personnel people and asst principals--
don't think that was reason to cancel

Old 02-19-2009, 10:35 AM

1,035 posts, read 4,465,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
...Leander has two elem schools set to open fall of 09--maybe both won't be staffed...
When a new school is opened here, there's always a school that loses a large part of its population. Teachers move around a lot. Then when the dust settles, new teachers are hired.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:14 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
I meant that they could not afford to staff both schools--

the practice when a district opens a new school is that the principal is chosen first and then s/he is allowed input into the asst principal spots
principal is usually allowed to handpick certain # of teachers from his/her old school or other teachers from other schools in district--
then they open it to district teachers who want to transfer to new school--some people don't want to move--some do but they still don't fully staff from within their own district--might really thin out some schools ...
after transferring teachers are settled--vacancies are open to other hires--people from outside the district--people who are new to teaching...
the open hires are usually about half of the total teaching staff--just depends on the size of the school--high schools have way more teachers/staff than elementary schools...

teaching spots that were opened in other schools within the district from people going to new schools are filled either by other district transfers or new hires...
so adding a new school does allow for much hiring/moving of teachers
but not all spots that are opened by moving to new school automatically need to be filled either--sometimes enrollment has dropped and teaching spots aren't replaced

Old 02-19-2009, 12:48 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,465,549 times
I know Sorry, I tend to be brief--maybe too brief for a forum. And we're both also saying that they won't have to hire enough teachers to staff 2 entire schools...just to fill the gaps.

I haven't heard of any "major budget limiting tax crunch." Even if the district has to tighten its belt, I doubt they would let a school sit empty. Both schools are well into construction and principals have been hired. One new school, Ronald Reagan is already on the watch list for transfer moratoriums which means that the projected enrollment is between 700-799!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin