Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2009, 09:33 PM

838 posts, read 3,096,109 times

Advertisements

Is the change going to be too drastic? I am also Asian. Would I have a hard time adjusting? Also what kind of lifestyle can I live for $75k a year as a single person?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 09:37 PM

434 posts, read 1,080,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnparker View Post
Is the change going to be too drastic?
of course!!! absolutely. no question about it.

Quote:
I am also Asian. Would I have a hard time adjusting?
of course!!! absolutely. no question about it.

Quote:
Also what kind of lifestyle can I live for $75k a year as a single person?
I don't think you can make 75K a year here in Austin. And if you could, you wouldn't be coming to Austin in the first place.

best wishes.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:47 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,803 times
First of all, don't listen to the troll above.

If you are making $75K when you get here and you have no dependents you will live very comfortably. Cost of living here is very reasonable compared to other cities of a similar size. We moved back here from Seattle about seven months ago and our quality of life has shot through the roof in comparison. Housing is less, gasoline less, groceries less, entertainment less.

Maybe if you post more specific questions, more people will be able to offer better information than what appeared above. Asking something like will I have a hard time adjusting is difficult for anyone to answer because no one on this board knows you. Do you mean being Asian? Or being from the upper midwest?

Old 07-22-2009, 11:17 PM

874 posts, read 2,892,917 times
From Chicago (Lincoln Park) or from the Twin Cities? Either way, yes it will be a big change, but as jennibc mentioned, more specifics on what changes/adjustments you are concerned about will probably help folks answer your questions.

Weather obviously will be a huge change. We moved back to Texas from Nebraska, in part due to the winter weather in NE, and coming back to the warmer weather has been wonderful for us (but YMMV, of course).

Is the salary 75K where you are now, or will it be 75K if/when you move here? If it is 75K where you are now, sometimes companies will adjust higher or lower due to cost of living, so it might be adjusted down a bit if you are doing a job transfer within your company.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:02 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
The asian will be a non-issue, I am pretty sure.

On 75k, you can live pretty easy. We have done our worst-case analysis, and we (family with two kids) could get by on less than 75k w/o any real issues, other than minimal savings rate .

Not sure if you have lived elsewhere, but long, hot summers will be the hardest adjustment, by far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: