Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 01:29 PM

2 posts, read 7,313 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are ready to make the move from the expensive San Francisco bay area to Austin, TX. We are ready to do it tomorrow (ok maybe a couple of weeks) if a decent paying job offer comes along for at least one of us!

Both of us work in IT - he is a Web Developer and I am an IT Helpdesk Manager. We are both working really hard getting resumes out there via online job boards in hopes we land a job soon.

We are thinking a local recruiter would be a good idea, but so far upon talking to people they say they will call us back but don't!

Does anyone know anyone that is in recruiting that will take us seriously and not blow us off? I know recruiters have lots of job applicants, but there's got to be someone out there that wants to place some good, experienced folks from silicon valley. Ideas?

If recruiters aren't the way to go, any other suggestions or tips on how to land a job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 01:42 PM

2,238 posts, read 8,983,167 times
Are you asking for a raise on your Bay Area salary or a realistic 20% cut to meet Austin wages?
Are you willing to relocate at your on expense and state so?
Are you willing to do contract work w/o benefits to get started?

There's lots of ways to make your resume more appealing to local recruiters.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:43 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,014,420 times
Pray? Burn sage? Consult an astrologer?

I do not know about smaller employers in Austin (or the traditional stalwarts, the University and State government) but nearly every big employer that I know of in Austin is under a hiring freeze, if not already in the midst of planning or implementing layoffs.

Do not give up your job in SF if you still have one! You are wise not to make the jump until you have a job in Austin lined up.

Look at Dallas and Houston too (have you thought of Chicago?).

For Austin, getting a local address, even if it is just a PO Box, and a local phone number can help. But right now, from what I can see, the high tech job market is frozen (which is better than the alternative of free fall).

good luck!

Old 01-21-2009, 02:31 PM

2 posts, read 7,313 times
Thanks - so anyone know any recruiters? And yes we realize the paycut. We are fine with this.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:47 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,045,252 times
Well, it took me 3 months of sending my resume to the managing partners of every law firm in my practice area to get a telephone interview. They've checked references and are flying me out for a face to face. I was very specific as to salary range and many other details up front, so as to not waste either of our time, but they're shopping me pretty hard. I'm going out in two weeks for the interview. And get this, they're going to hold the position for me (hire a temp) until July when my daughter gets out of school!

Yes the economy is bad. But many people are afraid to make a change right now, so the applicant pool is pretty scarce. Finding a job when you have a job is ALWAYS easier, so if you've quit or been laid off, you'll have a harder time. I would never move somewhere without a job (for both of you).

I always also meet with recruiters, they have many connections to bigger companies. Especially if you're specialized in your field. They'll give great feedback on your resume as well. Even though I have an interview with a firm set up, I'm still going to meet with at least 2 head hunters so they can meet me face-to-face in case the other option doesn't work out.

Good luck!

Old 01-21-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieGirl View Post
Thanks - so anyone know any recruiters? And yes we realize the paycut. We are fine with this.

Do NOT assume you'll take a pay cut!!! The offer I got was actually $5K more than I'm currently making, even though the cost of living is almost 44% less and home prices are nearly 70% less than where I live! For me, the whole reason I'm moving is to take advantage of this. I'm not going to take a cut and be in the same economic pinch I'm in now. If that was the case, I'd stick around California.

Cost of Living Comparison:
Mission Viejo, California - Cedar Park, Texas
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed
Cedar Park is 44% cheaper than Mission Viejo.
Housing is the biggest factor in the cost of living difference.
Housing is 69% cheaper in Cedar Park.

Here are some recruiters, but always try the stand by's (Monster, indeed, etc).
Recruiters Austin Texas Executive Recruiters Austin TX
Recruiters Louisiana Texas Recruiters Austin Headhunters TX
Austin jobs search jobs in Austin Texas
Headhunters Directory . com - Austin - Texas - Headhunters / Executive Recruiters - employment agency Directory of employment agencies / headhunters, recruiters, search firms, staffing, and personnel agencies across the USA

Last edited by Yac; 02-24-2009 at 06:28 AM..

Old 01-21-2009, 02:51 PM

Depending on your firm and how much they value you maybe they'll consider letting you work remotely. I know someone that did this so he got to move and keep his California paycheck. Gotta be willing to walk if they say no though!

Old 01-21-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
Depending on your firm and how much they value you maybe they'll consider letting you work remotely. I know someone that did this so he got to move and keep his California paycheck. Gotta be willing to walk if they say no though!
Yeah, I'd love that!!! Unfortunately our firm doesn't offer it. I think everyone in CA is trying to think of something like this!

When I give my notice, I'll first ask whether they've considered opening an office there, that's for sure!

Old 01-21-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
Yeah, I'd love that!!! Unfortunately our firm doesn't offer it. I think everyone in CA is trying to think of something like this!

When I give my notice, I'll first ask whether they've considered opening an office there, that's for sure!
My friend's firm didn't either. He asked, they said no, he said goodbye, and they changed their mind immediately. That's why it's critical you can walk if need be!

Old 01-21-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
My friend's firm didn't either. He asked, they said no, he said goodbye, and they changed their mind immediately. That's why it's critical you can walk if need be!
Good point. I'll definitely try it. Did your friend move halfway across the country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin