Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 02:26 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,250,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Some good points, Axtico, but the same could be asked/said of any other state which is generally considered part of the American South. In other words, when did Mississippi become considered "Southern? Or Arkansas?

All "Southern states" at one time were either territories or belonged to another nation...

The "ethos" of the "South" formed around 1835 or so with the nullification crises. When Texas entered the Union it was considered part of the South just as naturally -- in national mindset -- as was Ohio part of the "West".

No disrespect -- in the least-- intended, but you seem to be suggesting that the "Southern" connection of Texas to the "South" consisted of the Confederate experience, which was a short four years. As it was, Texas was just taken as part of the South from its entry into the Union and was never considered different by national definitions of the time. It culminated in the WBTS.

There are lots of thing about our state that makes it a region of its own. But it is Southern when it come right down to it. The connection with the Confederacy is only a small part of it. We talk Southern American English. We eat catfish and black-eyed peas and love BBQ. Not much of what it taken as traditionally "Texan" does not have Southern roots and origins...
BBQ is an American dish. Talk to Mexico- they call it Carne Asada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 02:43 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,508,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Hey, you can say what you want.
Geographically, Texas is South and West in the continental US.
Texas has more Hispanic and Native American influence than, say, North Carolina or Maine.
Actually, geographically, Texas is South Central! Somewhere between the South and West. Which is why I always liked that old "Tourist Bureau" slogan. Which went something like: TEXAS! Where the South meets the West!

Anyway, yes, Texas does have lots of hispanic influence, for sure. And getting stronger all the time. However, it is a fairly recent development in terms of its actually impact on the state's culture and politics. Very different from the states of the true Southwest. Up until the last couple of decades, Texas was pretty much defined -- in terms of racial culture and politics -- as a black/white duality. It wasn't always pleasant, of course, (i.e. Jim Crow laws) but it was history.

Native American? Very little. If at all. Myths of Walker, Texas Ranger, not withstanding, there are no "Indian Reservations" of note in Texas. Indian culture has very little role in "Texana"...if such a term can be used.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
BBQ is an American dish. Talk to Mexico- they call it Carne Asada.
Interesting! I didn't know that (the Mexican term, that is). Thanks!

Old 01-24-2009, 02:48 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,250,736 times
I guess we can agree that Texas isn't a Yankee state!

Old 01-24-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
I guess we can agree that Texas isn't a Yankee state!
LOL There ya go!

Old 01-24-2009, 06:52 PM

804 posts, read 1,957,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post

Yes, I know that these are broad generalizations but there is an emphasis on speed and efficiency over friendliness and sociability in NE, Texans and southerners in general are almost always willing to stop and chat. As a midwesterner, I love that. I have known more than one person from the NE who finds our "excessive sociability" incredibly annoying, they don't want to talk to the cashier or the mailman, they just want to get out and get on with the next hundred things on their list.
It depends on the situation. I saw plenty of people in New England who were friendly and sociable in the appropriate setting. But in some denser, more populated cities, it's not considered very courteous or respectful of others to block a busy store entrance or hold up a long line.

Personally I'll always talk to the cashier, clerk, mailman, etc. but I try to keep in mind that they are on the job. There may be others waiting for their help, and some whip-cracking managers don't let their employees talk much

Old 02-05-2009, 07:55 PM

9 posts, read 15,023 times
Austin is not like the rest of Texas, much less "The Deep South", Austin has more of a cross cultural ecclectisism. There are a greater number of people who live a holistic lifestyle than rib sucking, meat frying, sweet tea drinking people. This is coming from someone who was born here. I saw confederate flags outside Alabama. Just stay around 78704, go to the Continental Club, you won't encounter anyone who would behave in such a bigoted way. It's cool just chill, with the like minded.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:57 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,583,942 times
I've never seen a confederate flag flying in Hutto. Just sayin'....Just sticking to one area and only going to one club could be the flip side of the same coin.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:44 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,174,666 times
Absolutely brilliant, loves roses! That's exactly what it is!

Old 02-06-2009, 04:01 PM

9 posts, read 15,023 times
I am by no means saying, limit yourself to one zip code or entertainment venue. Anyone who experienced Austin in the 70's has seen the wave of the corporate, private&nbsp; interest&nbsp; sector&nbsp; destroying&nbsp; our&nbsp; cultural&nbsp; avenues&nbsp; of&nbsp; artistic expression. To be more exact, the tearing down of the 1st Antone's in favor of building a parking garage, Armadillo World Headquarters being torn down to be replace by a generic brown carbuncle that was intended to house a bank and some offices, the list goes on. It's sad that these "Crimes Against Our Culture", were even permitted to take place. The point I am making, is all is not lost yet, the soil in Austin has always been a rich fertile place for all musical genres, not just styles endemic to the southern US, to grow and flourish. So support the last bastions of artistic expression that exist. Culturally, Austin music has enlightened so many Globally, not just Nationally, and is one of the greatest gifts Austin has given to the World. This corporate headlock,&nbsp; like overworked soil could cause Austin to become a place devoid of character and culture altogether, becoming a smog ridden pit, where an oasis once was. In short, we can't put things back but we can still support and enjoy what remains. As for The Civil War, have we checked our calender? It's 2009, slavery has been abolished, we have fought a long battle to ensure civil rights shall be respected and upheld and if anyone has been treated unfairly or made to feel they don't belong to the community because they are from a different town, state, country or nation is shameful. Austin needs to remain true to the core values of free expression and kindness.<br>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin