Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 02:49 PM

634 posts, read 1,558,482 times

Advertisements

Oh I meant to ad this to Vector28- drilling out there is limited. When you go deep into the Trinity the water is very hard, it makes your whole house smell like rotten eggs. So, many people do not do it, and have to find alternatives. So this solution:

"We do just as we did in the '50s drought. Go see the driller, arrange for him to deepen the well. Some didn't have to call on the driller because they had hand dug wells. So, out comes an A-frame, block and tackle, digging bars, buckets and shovels, then Dad and the oldest boys take turns digging the well deeper. Problem solved without involving a single government entity!"

is not a good one! It is a different problem, if you have ever smelled this you would know what I am saying. To say nothing of what it is doing to your pipes! YIKES!

Sometimes the water is so hard it will burn out water softeners in less than 2 years. So, yes do the rain dance......but I don't know about the rest (that's your thing).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 03:08 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,018,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenArlingtonPark View Post
When you go deep into the Trinity the water is very hard, it makes your whole house smell like rotten eggs.

This smell is sulphur, and it is indicative of oil on a property.

mixed blessing

Old 01-27-2009, 03:15 PM

178 posts, read 458,861 times
Unfortunately, productive input here pretty much equals rain. Sorry, I can only hope for that. Hoping and praying are about as effective as asking a governmental agency for help.

We could lean on the City of Austin over losing 6.7 billion gallons of water in 2004. Can you believe that's the most recent year they have data for?
Water line break shows how Austin can lose billions of gallons a year (http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/01/10/0110leakywater.html - broken link)

And no, I don't have a fountain. But if I had a million dollar home I would have several...and a pool and hot tub to boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenArlingtonPark View Post
They regulate the water, they usually give some projections, and have been very good about keeping the water flowing, so again what's the word? I have seen the website, but hoping for some productive input, perhaps you have some knowlege of current events concerning the draught? Did I hit a nerve with the fountains?

Old 01-27-2009, 03:46 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Our well water (that we use for the animals) has a faint sulphur smell. Interestingly, given the choice of city water, clear running creek water, or sulphur-smelling well water, they've consistently chosen the well water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin