Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2009, 01:48 PM

468 posts, read 1,220,100 times

Advertisements

I like sunshine. it is second on my list of "I wants" only to sleeping.

I was surprised to find austin is only 115/365 on this list:

[CENTER][SIZE=4]Number of Sunny Days a Year[/SIZE][/CENTER]
[CENTER][SIZE=3]Sorted from Most to Least Number of Sunny Days[/SIZE][/CENTER]
[SIZE=2]* This does not include Partly Sunny or Partly Cloudy days.[/SIZE]

World Facts and Figures - Weather Facts and Statistics

However. SF somehow made it high on this list and I wouldnt think of SF as that sunny (more like.. highly FOGGY and GREY ).

Anyone want to shoot down the list with a local based opinion?

Is it because austin has lots of "cloudy then rains quick and clears up" days or more "a little grey but sun still filters through" days? Which is actually OK in my opinion, because there's still sunshine. Or is it more like "cloudy for days on end in which it seems like the end of the world is near until sunshine finally breaks out and scares the vampires away" days?

EL PASO, TX is #6 on this list. Which I guess could make sense from the "full whole days of sunshine" score.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 03:09 PM

786 posts, read 2,761,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeSmartHippies View Post

Is it because austin has lots of "cloudy then rains quick and clears up" days or more "a little grey but sun still filters through" days?
Austin does not have a lot of rain days, quick or not. At least this year.

The sunny days are one of the reasons we love it down here. Sure beats the 4 months of winter up north when the only time you see the sun is when it is -20 outside.

Full cloud, overcast days are rare. However there is usually some sort of clouds whipping by somewhere.

Ignore the numbers and rankings. You will get plenty of sun, and PLENTY of heat here.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:29 PM

47 posts, read 210,225 times
I just heard on the radio the other day that Austin has 300+ days of sun!

Old 01-26-2009, 05:36 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
It's gotta be how they count partly cloudy days. On the OP's list, the most # of sunny days is Yuma, AZ with 242. That would mean it's not sunny in Yuma 123 days a year! How can that be, when it is basically desert and only rains 2.65 inches per year?

Plus, on that list Miami only has 74 sunny days! So how do they all get so tan?

Old 01-26-2009, 05:40 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,055,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeSmartHippies View Post
I like sunshine. it is second on my list of "I wants" only to sleeping.

I was surprised to find austin is only 115/365 on this list:

[CENTER][SIZE=4]Number of Sunny Days a Year[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Sorted from Most to Least Number of Sunny Days[/SIZE][/CENTER]
[SIZE=2]* This does not include Partly Sunny or Partly Cloudy days.[/SIZE]

World Facts and Figures - Weather Facts and Statistics

However. SF somehow made it high on this list and I wouldnt think of SF as that sunny (more like.. highly FOGGY and GREY ).

Anyone want to shoot down the list with a local based opinion?

Is it because austin has lots of "cloudy then rains quick and clears up" days or more "a little grey but sun still filters through" days? Which is actually OK in my opinion, because there's still sunshine. Or is it more like "cloudy for days on end in which it seems like the end of the world is near until sunshine finally breaks out and scares the vampires away" days?

EL PASO, TX is #6 on this list. Which I guess could make sense from the "full whole days of sunshine" score.

That's a dumb list. According to the OP, * This does not include Partly Sunny or Partly Cloudy days.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:11 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,098,252 times
There is no way that San Francisco should be considered high on anyone's sunshine list. Fog and clouds are a way of life there. The weather is moderate, and that's nice, but it isn't a sunshine city.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:21 PM

322 posts, read 902,697 times
I've seen that list as well as heard the over 300 days of sun a year. I think they don't include partly cloudy days - only days with no clouds. One thing you have to remember is the nearer the equator you get, the more intense the sun is and the higher the angle it hits the Earth. That means a cloudy day further south will provide more light than a cloudy day up north. Here in Fairbanks, if it is cloudy in January, it's pretty dark out even during the hours the sun is up (because the sun is low to the ground). There is a difference between a party cloudy day where the clouds drift by and the sun shines off and on all day and a highly overcast day as well. It might be better to look at how much time Austin actually spends being overcast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: