Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 03:13 PM

66 posts, read 329,873 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I know people ask about schools all the time but I really just want to know if a majority of Austin area schools are safe. Not even talking about ratings or anything else. Basically, do you (or your child) feel safe while in the classroom, attending events or just being on campus? Are there any schools in the area that are not safe?

The reason I ask is that I just had my third student THIS year caught with a weapon at school (in my classroom). They are nice kids but it is a little alarming. This is the seventh student of mine that has had a weapon at school since I started here (just last year!). Also, the student only got 5 days suspension!

Just want to know if where we are hoping to move is at least a little safer than where I am.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 04:04 PM

786 posts, read 2,751,571 times
My daughter is in Dripping Springs HS and I feel that she is safe. There have not been any serious incidents, and the minor ones I have heard about have been dealt with promptly and strictly. The school is very quick to pull privileges from students who either get out of line, or who are not meeting the academic standards.

I notice that the Sheriff's office usually has a deputy out whenever there is a large gathering. They direct traffic at the end of football games and I know they were on patrol during the winter semi-formal. I have also seen them talking to kids in the parking lot during exam times when spirits could be running high due to school holidays.

An ounce of prevention ...

Old 01-26-2009, 09:35 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,586,412 times
I'm in Williamson County and this is the first year my daughter has been in the schools there. There haven't been any incidents like that around here (knock on wood).

Old 01-26-2009, 09:49 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,125,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papillon Mom View Post
Hi,

Just want to know if where we are hoping to move is at least a little safer than where I am.

Thanks!
Based on what you said above Austin and surrounding area schools are alot more safer.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:28 AM

Thanks for the replies. I am glad to hear people feel safe. Can't wait to move (14 months)!

Just an update: While looking for the weapon (which we never found) they found a huge amount of drugs on one of my students! I swear I can't believe this is middle school!

Thanks Again!

Old 01-27-2009, 04:03 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,045,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papillon Mom View Post
Thanks for the replies. I am glad to hear people feel safe. Can't wait to move (14 months)!

Just an update: While looking for the weapon (which we never found) they found a huge amount of drugs on one of my students! I swear I can't believe this is middle school!

Thanks Again!
Where are you located??

Old 01-27-2009, 08:29 PM

I am actually located in Albuquerque, NM right now. It has been a heck of a wake up call coming here after living in Raleigh, NC for 3 years.
I really do like working with the kids I have. It is just hard watching them make such bad decisions. Not to mention the attitudes of the parents. One actually told me at a meeting Monday morning that she can't make her child do his homework (He is failing everything) because Friday and Saturday nights are "bar nights" and she can't stay home with him.

It just drains you at times. I swear these kids don't stand a chance. My mom worked in a school and gave me a word of advice the other day when I was upset. She said, "You cannot undo in 90 minutes a day what they live 24 hours a day."

Sorry, don't mean to rant- but sometimes it helps.

Just looking forward to seeing there are still parents and students who care.

Thanks for listening (or reading I guess)!

Old 01-27-2009, 10:03 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,586,412 times
It stuns me every time I hear that there are really parents out there who think that way. Bar nights? Good grief!

Old 01-27-2009, 10:20 PM

2 posts, read 4,378 times
Default Austin Schools

I taught school in Eanes (Westlake) ISD which has an excellent reputation and I raised my daughters in this school district. They always felt safe. There are three districts I recommend for safety and academics: Eanes ISD (Westlake), Lakeway ISD, Leander ISD, and Round Rock ISD. Austin has a low crime rate. It is a fantastic place to raise children.

I am a realtor/broker and would like to help you relocate. Please email me: jackieaclark@aol.com

Old 01-28-2009, 01:28 AM

717 posts, read 2,798,935 times
Just wanted to let you know that I spoke with a friend of mine that lived by me in 2004 up in Raleigh (Cary). They moved to Austin in Dec. 2005 and absolutely love it. They had an opportunity to go back to Cary and decided they wanted to remain in Austin--even though all of their family is in Virginia and North Carolina. The schools we went to in Cary were excellent--but her kids actually like the schools in Texas better. I believe she said they are in the Cedar Park area.

I am looking forward to visiting Austin very soon--like in Feb. Good luck to you and I think you will be very happy when you get to relocate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin