Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 12:09 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,230,552 times

Advertisements

I know the east side near Riverside is supposed to be going through some sort of gentrification. My question to realtors is: do you think the schools on the east side (78741) will improve within the next 5 years or so?

My husband & I LOVE the east side and we want to have a baby fairly soon. I just worry about the quality of the schools. I sent him a link to a house in 78746, and his response was "Soccer-mom ville!" Neither of us want that. But I know that the schools are probably better. What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 12:14 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,622,212 times
5 years, especially in the early stages of a recession/depression, is probably too short a time frame to expect serious improvement. Direction changes in schools tend to take longer - gentrification is one thing, but you also generally need staff/principal turnover, too.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:09 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,687,302 times
Doesn't Austin let you transfer to different schools within district? I know out here they let you and without penalty of any sort. When we lived in Downtown Denver and had our daughter, schools suddenly became an issue for us. Luckily Stapleton opened and had a school so we were either going to put her there or into the Cherry Creek ISD. You could do the transfer thing there as well, without penalty but you were completely responsible for their transportation.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:12 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,096,785 times
Yes, you can transfer as long as the receiving school has space.

And Campbell and Allison elementary are both exemplary this year and both are on the east side with high poverty populations.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:13 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,622,212 times
You can apply to go to different schools, but I am not sure what the criteria are for approval. Due to overcrowding at some schools, transfers are limited. As an example, Crockett is already 20% underutilized and Bowie 20% overcrowded. I suspect it would be hard to transfer from Crockett to Bowie.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:07 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,464,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samustang91 View Post
Is East Austin the worst place to be at. My dad told me that from he worked in Austin the mid 70s to late 80s.
Has your dad ever been to Amsterdam?

Old 02-22-2010, 06:24 PM

3 posts, read 5,476 times
I am moving to a Eco Friendly loft off Ben White/71 East Austin. Montopolis quarter mile from ben white/71. Some Family members are concerned? Positive feedback please. It's such a nice neighborhood. Seems quiet and beautiful downtown views.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:45 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,096,785 times
Montopolis south of Riverside?

Are you renting? I would worry a bit about the area as an investment but you'll be safe enough. Montopolis north of Riverside can be sketchy, it varies block to block, it is a working class to working poor neighborhood (between Riverside and 183) but even there, there are some surprisingly lovely blocks with well-maintained, small single family homes.

Have you lived in urban areas? Do you consider yourself street smart? (ie can you stay cool if someone asks if you want to buy a stereo or smokable product?) "Eco-friendly lofts" sound like possible crime targets (kick in doors and grab stuff, smash and grab car break ins) but that stuff is going on right now all over town (in some of the very nicest neighborhoods that would make your family glow with pride).

There will be some property crime but like all of Austin, violent crime will be rare. Just tell me you are renting!

Old 02-22-2010, 08:42 PM

Default montopolis

Hey,
Thanks for the response! Yes we are leasing, not ready to bye yet. It is actually right off ben white near some office buildings. Quiet road (deadend). It is actually a townhome loft. The neighbor was really nice and told us it's really quiet here.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:47 PM

South of Riverside..yes.
I feel safe now, thx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: