Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 12:32 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,090 times

Advertisements

i went to Cap Metro site, it seems they have a good system, but everyone seems to say its not good. It seems to have normal buses like other cities and normal routes, why are people trashing Austins system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 01:05 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
I've heard people that think it's just fine. I think the complainers just want it to be up to NY standards and are surprised it's not.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:07 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
Do people trash it? It is inadequate for many folks from the northeast where the density is so great that people can rely 100% on public transportation and not even own a car.

You cannot really live car-free in Austin (at least not without a great amount of effort or hassle).

For a town of our size and degree of sprawl, Cap Metro does pretty well.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:07 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
My brother has used it exclusively for almost 20 years (he has not had a car since the early 90s/late 80s?), and he likes it just fine. He has used it to commute all the way across town for years, too (and sometimes he has worked withing walking distance). The trick is to read the schedules (so much work ) and, more importanly, live close in to town. The further out you go, the coverage/timing is pretty thin.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:27 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
As a Northestern transplant, I agree with the pps. I think people are just used to denser populations where they can walk and where there are subways, etc. It's not the public transportation per se, it's the fact that the city is fairly spread out and isn't really conducive to anything other than buses.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:29 PM

i keep reading in the Austin forum people saying it is bad, but if you go on Cap Metro.org, it seems pretty much like any city this size like Portland Oregon, Minneapolis, Nashville--a pretty good deal and regular routes.

a guy made a thread 21 things to hate about Austin--#7 was public ttransport. If people live downtown, why is it hard to live car free in Austin? Someone just told me Whole foods is downtown, shops and stores are downtown, restaurants and homes are downtown in Central Austin--so why cant one live Car Free in Austin?

Old 01-30-2009, 01:32 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
i keep reading in the Austin forum people saying it is bad, but if you go on Cap Metro.org, it seems pretty much like any city this size like Portland Oregon, Minneapolis, Nashville--a pretty good deal and regular routes.

a guy made a thread 21 things to hate about Austin--#7 was public ttransport. If people live downtown, why is it hard to live car free in Austin? Someone just told me Whole foods is downtown, shops and stores are downtown, restaurants and homes are downtown in Central Austin--so why cant one live Car Free in Austin?
I supposed you COULD live carless downtown, but it would limit you to a relatively small area. If you wanted to do so much as go to the lake, you need to rent a car.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:39 PM

so in Austin a progressive city, they dont have Car Share? they dont have community gardens, food coops, and the buses dont run all over the city?

well anyplace one lives car free will be somewhat limiting, but the issue is whether one can do it or not. do they have a bus system, and yes i am talking about Austin proper not the suburbs, do they have city parks, restaurants, libraries, clubs, shopping, jobs downtown so people can live car free?

sorry i assumed when i said Austin i meant downtown not the outlying areas

Old 01-30-2009, 01:41 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
The city is in the processes of 'densifying', but historically, downtown was only for work and everyone lived outside of downtown, so grocery shopping (for example) was not really available. It is improving, though, so we will see how this plays out over the next few years.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:49 PM

so where is Whole foods located? downtown or out of town? i am confused, one person tells me it is downtown and you are saying groceries are not available downtown. can someone give me the real take on this??

not historically but what is going on right now? are there no places to live downtown? i heard of places like hyde park in Central Austin, but are you saying there are no places to live down there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin