Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 09:14 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,984,180 times

Advertisements

I agree some points in your post, however you could've rephrased them a little better. People talk differently here and seem to take criticism very personally. It's not like California where you are used to it and it doesn't bother you at all.

Anyways, it's true... Texans are blinded by their 'loyalty' to their state. You can't say anything bad about Texas without people getting a knot in their panties. Yet they can say all of the bad things they want about other states and how crappy they think it is there. The funny thing is is that they've probably never been out of state or the state specifically mentioned.

People here believe only in cars, nothing else. "This is Texas, we drive cars, we're not going ride that stupid liberal public transportation for the poor". A real quote by a 'real Texan'. Whoever thinks public transportation is only for the poor is a person of full blown ignorance. I lean towards the Republican party yet I support urban projects and limiting endless sprawl. People automatically shoot me down for being a 'tofu farting liberal' when I actually voted for McCain this election.

Oh and I despise chain restaurants.

Last edited by LiveUrban; 02-07-2009 at 09:25 PM..

Old 02-07-2009, 09:25 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
"Well I find that southerners (and Texans especially) tend to give you plastic smiles while really hating your guts. If a new yorker doesn't like you, you'll know in 5 seconds of interaction. I like that. It's honest.

Complaining isn't a big deal, it's healthy."

Maybe in time it's something you'll get used to. My friends husband has been coming down here for years and is only just now getting over the Texas friendly thing, although he still carries a little misgiving in the back of his mind. But, he doesn't think EVERYONE is out to get him anymore. The last time I was in NY everyone was mostly nice, except the lady in the subway. I'm kinda glad she was short with me because I was starting to doubt the rumor about rude NY'ers

Old 02-07-2009, 09:31 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
I agree some points in your post, however you could've rephrased them a little better. People talk differently here and seem to take criticism very personally. It's not like California where you are used to it and it doesn't bother you at all.

Anyways, it's true... Texans are blinded by their 'loyalty' to their state. You can't say anything bad about Texas without people getting a knot in their panties. Yet they can say all of the bad things they want about other states and how crappy they think it is there. The funny thing is is that they've probably never been out of state or the state specifically mentioned.

People here believe only in cars, nothing else. "This is Texas, we drive cars, we're not going ride that stupid liberal public transportation for the poor". A real quote by a 'real Texan'. Whoever thinks public transportation is only for the poor is a person of full blown ignorance. I lean towards the Republican party yet I support urban projects and limiting endless sprawl. People automatically shoot me down for being a 'tofu farting liberal' when I actually voted for McCain this election.

I don't understand why people find loyalty a negative trait. Why would I live anywhere and hate it and complain all day? Takes way too much energy. People here are just used to cars. We've not really had anything else and to get from one end of the state to the other, that's pretty much the only way to go. Historically around Texas, that opinion was true. When I lived in Houston and took the bus anywhere, it was always full of some pretty shady characters. I think things are changing though and I, as a Texan, would love to see a better transport system in place. Do you support AFFORDABLE urban projects? That's a huge reason many people don't live downtown. Another reason would be that some of us like some green space and don't like living one on top of the other. I personally got spoiled by fantastic bike lanes, super wide sidewalks and great trains and buses in Denver when we lived there. My husband and I both had cars and barely ever used them.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:08 PM

32 posts, read 74,428 times
<Still laughing...>

Thank you, SpreadingTruth. You're a bit more gruff than I am and the whole "Republicans know how to run a biz.." made me laugh too but I appreciate your effort to give a different POV to others considering the move. For what it's worth, I'm definitely moving but I agree with many of your points. I've been lurking around this forum for months as I've planned my move from SF, CA to Austin. All in the name of Love -- otherwise I'd choose to 'endure' the crazy cost of living in the Bay Area. Especially after spending part of December and January moving my Love into our new Austin rental. Knowing my allergy history and about the cedar in Austin did nothing to dampen that lousy experience. After completing my own move, I'll be seeing a doctor about shots or daily medication...

It's obviously in my own interests to make the best of my new hometown so I'll be trying *real hard* to follow-up on some of the constructive suggestions littered throughout these forums. To the inevitable child that suggests the obvious("You could always leave/go back/not come..."), well thanks. Rest assured I know that much... but not all opportunities are created equal and Love has an excellent one in good ole' Austin, TX.

Hopefully it works out for all of us. Good luck to you!

Old 02-08-2009, 12:07 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,018 times
Quote:
People here believe only in cars, nothing else. "This is Texas, we drive cars, we're not going ride that stupid liberal public transportation for the poor". A real quote by a 'real Texan'.
Well, at least you're not painting with a broad, coarse brush.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:09 AM

707 posts, read 1,845,856 times
Quote:

Hmmm, I consider myself a "real Texan" and I don't resemble any of these descriptions. Talk about an overgeneralization. I like public transportation and use it regularly. I didn't even own a car when I went to UT 16 years ago.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:19 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,575,830 times
It is difficult to find anyone as rude and egocentric as your average New Yorker!! And the silicone surely has gotten into the blood stream in OC and LA! Not so much here!

Austin is for REAL people! and yes this is also the smalest city I have lived in and the first one in Texas.

As resteaurants go!!! You surely need to get around then!

Just google them there are actually many that are LOCAL!!!! I bet if you wanted to you could find one locally owned resteaurant to eat at each day for a year!

Last edited by S6Sputnik; 02-08-2009 at 08:29 AM..

Old 02-08-2009, 08:33 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Default Good #&$&!$$ Grief

Quote:
Originally Posted by S6Sputnik View Post
It is difficult to find anyone as rude and egocentric as your average New Yorker!!
Wow! How open and accepting you are! Nasty rhetoric like this surely makes us New Yorkers feel welcome here.

Quote:
Austin is for REAL people!
What does that even mean? Are you somehow more valid, or a more legitimate person? Idiotic.

Quote:
As resteaurants go!!! You surely need to get arround then!
What's your basis for comparison? There are a few good restaurants in Austin. On average, not nearly as good as the areas where are comparing to in this discussion.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:38 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I'm sort of glad it's not the most liberal place in the world I believe a good mix is better than too heavy on either side. Whatdya mean not the coolest place in the world? J/K
You're on a roll, love roses!

Yes, a good mix is actually more liberal in the truest (not political, where it's been co-opted) sense of the word:

"showing or characterized by broad-mindedness"

A city that is extremely "liberal", in the political sense of the word, is most definitely not "liberal", in the original definition of the word, in that it is intolerant of, not broadminded about, anyone who doesn't hold to politically liberal views. Odd, that.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:40 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,575,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Wow! How open and accepting you are! Nasty rhetoric like this surely makes us New Yorkers feel welcome here.

What does that even mean? Are you somehow more valid, or a more legitimate person? Idiotic.

What's your basis for comparison? There are a few good restaurants in Austin. On average, not nearly as good as the areas where are comparing to in this discussion.
1) I was not talking about New Yorkers here just in New York...Just in General like your thread!

2) You compair a city of 8 million with one of 1 million! Sure there is more good food, murderes, Yankees fans there are probably more of everything in New York. I have been there many times and you are right!

3) I am more ligit because I am me (and I have lived on two continents, Three countries and in 5 Cities)..

Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin