Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2009, 02:27 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,988,236 times

Advertisements

hi. i am just wondering how the job market is over there in ANY district for school counselors. i am currently doing my counseling MS and certification in california (yes i know you hate me already), but have certification to teach special education as well (would do it for a job if no availability for a school counselor position). i also know that in texas you need to have 2 years of full time teaching experience OR a valid teaching credential. i assume it is extremely unlikely that i would get a school counseling job without the teaching experience as well correct? i would just imagine that my credential and subbing experience is nothing compared with people who have taught 2 years or more going for the counselor position.

i am heavily debating between austin and nashville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 07:04 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
a counselor has basically a MS/MEd degree in SCHOOL counseling--and yes-- to get admitted to those programs in TX people usually have to have teaching experience--just like for the admin certification
so are you saying that you are getting a general psy MS in counseling vs one geared to school counseling---
you are looking at doing an alt-cert type of program then and I don't about that--most people doing alt certs to get certified in teaching have BA/BS degrees usually and are trying for teaching positions...
there is a program called TTC--Temporary Teaching Certification that requires a person w/o teaching credentials to actually teach for two years in a district and thus earn credentials...

check out links to the TEA site on credentialing
Testing Requirements

</title> <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset="> <meta name="robots" content="index,follow"> <META HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="0"> <META HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma" CONTENT="no-cache"> <META HTTP-EQUIV="Cache-Control" CONTENT="no-cac

CA teachers do not automatically qualify for parity--but if you have taken some national standardized tests and scored high enough that might be the tickets
National Board tests and Praxis II but the state's approved score might vary what what other states require
http://www.sbec.state.tx.us/SBECOnline/standtest/sumcompoos.pdf (broken link)

once you have your certification from another state--it just depends on that state and TX's review of credentials to determine if it will be accepted on parity or if you would have to do remediation classes to get TX certification---

there is definitely a need for special ed teachers in almost any school district in the state--if TX does not give you parity on your special ed certification you can probably get hired under a waver/conditional certification--and take the classes while you are teaching--you usually have a year to clear up any problems with your credentialing...

this article is about two people who have education background and were involved in setting up the alt cert programs in TX
An Interview with Delia Stafford and Vicky Schreiber Dill: About Alternative Certification
some of their comments are very negative (and accurate) about the alt cert programs now available...
lots of variety in quality of training and applicants...
there is NO guarantee in most of these that after paying your 3-4-5K for the training that you will get a job that will complete the certification process...

and I don't know why it would be much different in TN vs TX

Old 03-10-2009, 10:29 PM

447 posts, read 1,849,694 times
Sorry, I'm confused - you are doing your M.Ed in School Counseling but don't have any teaching experience? That's interesting - do they not require it in California?

If you can get your licensure (but yes, I think the lack of teaching will be a tough point to get around) you will find the job market strong for counseling positions here in Austin. I have my Master's in Secondary Ed (English) and Master's in Counseling, and have had many offers since moving to Texas in 2006. Not a lot of educators have their Master's degrees here (in comparison to some parts of the country) so there aren't as many qualified applicants.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traceyr13 View Post
Sorry, I'm confused - you are doing your M.Ed in School Counseling but don't have any teaching experience? That's interesting - do they not require it in California?

If you can get your licensure (but yes, I think the lack of teaching will be a tough point to get around) you will find the job market strong for counseling positions here in Austin. I have my Master's in Secondary Ed (English) and Master's in Counseling, and have had many offers since moving to Texas in 2006. Not a lot of educators have their Master's degrees here (in comparison to some parts of the country) so there aren't as many qualified applicants.

in california and many other states, teaching experience is preferred but not a requirement. our programs for public educators is extremely different than the programs in texas (i applied to ut for grad but didnt get it sadly). my masters is in counseling. it is not a m.ed. it is an MS in counseling with a school counseling credential and a career counseling certificate. many school counselors here do not have teachinge experience. they got hired as school counselors without needing it. i am in a pretty well respected program in california that is approved by cacrep (sp) and all these other agencies for counselors and school counselors. although most people in my program are teachers, a handful are not. some are teacher assistants, computer techs, secretaries, and some volunteer at the ymca and shelters.

had i gone to texas to be a school counselor, you DO NEED a masters.
State Certification Requirements - American School Counselor Association

TEXAS
Educational Requirements: Master’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education; successfully complete a school counselor preparation program
Experience Requirements: Must have two years of classroom teaching experience.
Examination: Minimum score of 240 on School Counselor Exam (TExES #152)
Institution Recommendation Required?: No
Certification: preK-12
Reciprocity: No
Background Check: Yes, national fingerprint-based background check

Old 04-25-2009, 08:04 PM

447 posts, read 1,849,694 times
Hmmm...I think you're going to have a tough road getting licensure as a school counselor BUT many schools employ crisis counselors and/or social worker positions, where you can have either a MSW or a Master's in Counseling. Yes, the job pool is much smaller (whereas there is a real demand for school counselors) but it's a possibility for you.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:17 AM

i realize i probably will have to get full time teaching experience under my belt before ever being considered as a school counselor in texas (crappy because i am fully credentialed and nearly all states will honor it). in austin, are there lots of special ed. opportunities doing resource, cbi, or inclusion? i am not highly qualified yet to do sdc or be a "core teacher" as tea will not honor the exams i took in california (stupid as we have one of the most difficult and lengthy credential programs and "rigourous" exams within the nation). i love austin, but it seems like texas has so much red tape if you are coming from out of state to work in public education. its like the hell with the rest of the country. we are texas lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: