Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 02:57 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrandell View Post

I wasn't an avid boater (at all), but this has enabled me to spend my weekends in Galveston bay fishing, and hopefully not burning up too much gas.*

*That's another thing...once you get the membership, the only thing that stops you from going out every weekend is the gas cost, not the availability (for me).
That pesky 'no water in the lake' thing is a bit of a bother, I reckon.

Lake Travis Water Level
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 03:53 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post

Lake Travis Water Level
Did you look at the Water Web cam on that site? There is still plenty of surface water on the lake even when it is this low, if you avoid the shallow spots. I've seen it much lower and there has always been plenty of room to sail on the lake, its even easier for a power boat with shallow draft to avoid the shallow spots. Most of the original river channel of the lake is still 75' deep when the lake is this low.

The easy way to avoid the shallows, is look at the slope of the land that is above water, if it has a low slope into the water you should assume it will continue at that slope a long way out into the lake. If it has a steep slope, that is also likely. I sailed that lake for 30 years with a 4.5' draft sailboat and only bumped bottom 3 times, only once did I need a tow to get me off the shallow spot, and that was when I let a friend steer for a few minutes while I checked the head.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:17 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Did you look at the Water Web cam on that site? There is still plenty of surface water on the lake even when it is this low, if you avoid the shallow spots. I've seen it much lower and there has always been plenty of room to sail on the lake, its even easier for a power boat with shallow draft to avoid the shallow spots. Most of the original river channel of the lake is still 75' deep when the lake is this low.

The easy way to avoid the shallows, is look at the slope of the land that is above water, if it has a low slope into the water you should assume it will continue at that slope a long way out into the lake. If it has a steep slope, that is also likely. I sailed that lake for 30 years with a 4.5' draft sailboat and only bumped bottom 3 times, only once did I need a tow to get me off the shallow spot, and that was when I let a friend steer for a few minutes while I checked the head.
You could likely make a couple of bucks letting the noobs know of your secrets. Sounds like 'they' could use a few pointers.

Me? I'll take my chances trying to angle park my bicycle on South Congress!

Old 07-14-2011, 06:32 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,532,885 times
And another option if you want to learn a new skill is the Texas Sailing Academy! Robert and Tasha, the owners, are just fantastic and learning to sail opens up more options on the lake year round.

Welcome to Texas Sailing, Located in Austin, Texas on Lake Travis

I would highly recommend them and they have beautiful boats and the price was right.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:38 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post

Lake Travis Water Level
There is lots of water in Lake Travis. If you have your own boat, you may not be able to launch it at a public boat ramp. But a boat service based at a marina probably has no difficulty putting their customers in a boat.

Everyone who keeps their boats at a marina also has no problem getting on the water. They just have a long walk from the parking lot to their slip.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:49 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
If Lake Travis is too low, then we just take our boat to another Lake that still has public ramps open. If it's too far out of the way, we make a weekend of it We haven't hit bottom there really, but we've chewed up a number of props whenever it gets really low

Old 11-15-2011, 10:48 AM

2 posts, read 16,570 times
The water level on Travis is low but it has still lots of water. Getting in by ramp is hard but that will change, it always does. The news media likes to show you photos of empty coves but there is still lots of safe boating to be had.

Freedom Boat Club is the only club in Austin still offering both Lake Austin and Lake Travis access to our members. We also the only one offering Yachts as well as sailing.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:35 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
The news last night said no public ramps were open on travis.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:01 AM

2 posts, read 16,570 times
The public ones have been closed for several months. The private ones are still open.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:30 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,648,843 times
Searay ,
Our friends are members so we go with them but aren't yalls boats already in the water at Rough Hollow?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin