Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 09:13 PM

15 posts, read 105,631 times

Advertisements

While searching online for a boat today, I came across an Austin company located on Lake Austin called "Freedom Boat Club." Does anyone know anything about them? From what I can tell you pay a membership fee ($$?? Length of time??) and monthly dues for the use of any of their boats whenever you want. Seems like an interesting alternative to purchasing a new or used boat. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 07:55 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,123,590 times
we looked into them last year along with another one that I can't remember the name of by the volente beach park. Basically you pay a big initiation fee and then a monthly fee to use the boats. It was too expensive for us but if you want to boat and don't want the hassle of a boat I think it is a good idea to look into. The nice thing is that they have a range of boats that you can use.

What I need is a friend with a boat that I can bribe with BBQ, beer, and fuel to take us out a couple times a year :-)

Old 02-15-2009, 08:39 AM

544 posts, read 1,667,257 times
i sold "time shares" on my sailboat last summer and it worked out pretty good for everyone -- it's great to have access to water recreation without the responsibilities of upkeep and the investment in buying a boat

Old 02-15-2009, 01:53 PM

786 posts, read 2,761,655 times
I looked into these clubs before moving down here. They seem to be a good deal if

a) you will be boating every week,
b) do not want to trailer a boat to the lake
c) want to use a larger or high end boat.
d) These are also good if you want to use different types of boats.

Renting a boat for a day can be about $500, so that is more than 1 month dues with these places. If you are a regular boater they make sense, but for a couple of times a year, renting for a day will be cheaper in the long run.

You also have to look into the fine print. In high season a lot of places only allow you to book 1/2 days, not full days. There is one club, on the more expensive side, that allows for a full day booking.

Most of the clubs are also limited to one lake. A couple have facilities on more than one lake.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:58 AM

477 posts, read 1,580,877 times
I have quite a few friends and neighbors that belong to the club. All of them seem to absolutely love it. One of them took us to the Hula Hut on Lake Austin on a beautiful new Nautique. It turns out that she had taken the kids out earlier in the morning to go tubing from 8-9:30, then got in the car and taken them to straight to their soccer games. After then games ended they loaded the kids back up and meet us the for a relaxing cruise down lake Austin for dinner. I remember thinking what a great choice the club was for busy families.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:03 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,211,454 times
My family looked into here in the Clearlake area. Too expensive for us at the time. They wanted something like over 5,000 down along with a monthly fee. If you have the money it seemed like a pretty good deal but at the time not worth it for us.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:50 AM

114 posts, read 472,013 times
All I can input is we have a set of neighbors that are with the freedom boat club, and they say if you are wanting to get into the boat lifestyle its the way to go. They told me they have owned several boats themselves and feel overall this is a much more economical, convenient and smoother way to go.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:30 AM

1 posts, read 16,898 times
I have been a member of Freedom Boat Club in Austin for two years and it is the best thing I have ever done! Being able to access so many boats on Lakes Travis and Austin has been fantastic. I bought a three-year membership right when the club formed here and never regretted it. You just show up for the boat and take it out. When you come back you just grab your stuff and go. They clean it out and prepare it for the next person. They keep the member-to-boat ratio low enough that getting a boat is not a problem. In all the time that I have been with the club I have always been able to get some boat even at the last minute. If you plan a week or so ahead then you won't have any problems.
Moderator cut: advertising

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 03-24-2009 at 11:22 AM..

Old 03-24-2009, 11:03 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceshots View Post
I looked into these clubs before moving down here. They seem to be a good deal if

a) you will be boating every week,
b) do not want to trailer a boat to the lake
c) want to use a larger or high end boat.
d) These are also good if you want to use different types of boats.

Renting a boat for a day can be about $500, so that is more than 1 month dues with these places. If you are a regular boater they make sense, but for a couple of times a year, renting for a day will be cheaper in the long run.
I think that as long as you go around 12 times/year you will have broken even on ad hoc rentals (monthly instead of weekly)

Old 11-03-2009, 08:35 PM

2 posts, read 26,730 times
I looked into a few boat clubs in Austin, but was kind of turned off by the initiation fees and the low advertised price isn't for their better boats (wakeboarding boats w/ towers). I ended up joining one club on Lake Austin that didn't have an initiation fee, was as low as the lowest advertised price of the other clubs, and that one price ($195) included pontoons and competitive wake board boats w/ towers(Moomba outback and mobius). I joined Lake Toys Boat Club. They even provided the wake boards and rope. So far it's worked out good. They're only on Lake Austin, but I think they might be opening a place on Travis as soon as the lake levels rise to normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin