U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 05:33 AM

40 posts, read 121,957 times

Advertisements

travis is low.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 07:41 AM

8,240 posts, read 16,210,173 times
This is the thing that worries me the most about living in Texas long term. The drought has gotten worse over the years, and I think that with all the 'tinkering' we're doing to the enviroment (not really global warming, more like deforestation) it will only get worse.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:54 AM

7,232 posts, read 14,574,838 times
do you mean the lake? I imagine that it is low. What really gets me is seeing hay on the back of big tractor trailers heading south on I-35. That means that a farmer or rancher somewhere is spending money (that they really probably can't spare) buying hay for their cattle in hopes that it will rain enough so that they don't have to send the foundation of their herd to slaughter.

Long term, Texas is better position to handle drought than Atlanta or Las Vegas but certainly it could put a limit on our growth.

Come on rain!

Old 02-15-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
do you mean the lake? I imagine that it is low. What really gets me is seeing hay on the back of big tractor trailers heading south on I-35. That means that a farmer or rancher somewhere is spending money (that they really probably can't spare) buying hay for their cattle in hopes that it will rain enough so that they don't have to send the foundation of their herd to slaughter.

Long term, Texas is better position to handle drought than Atlanta or Las Vegas but certainly it could put a limit on our growth.

Come on rain!
I didn't think that Atlanta had a drought problem, being on a river (?) and so humid? LV is a mess, it disgusts me to see golf courses and so on in the middle of a desert. Greed and corruption (Calif. developer style...)

Old 02-15-2009, 09:18 AM

8,924 posts, read 15,566,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I didn't think that Atlanta had a drought problem, being on a river (?) and so humid? LV is a mess, it disgusts me to see golf courses and so on in the middle of a desert. Greed and corruption (Calif. developer style...)
Unfortunately, that river(Chattahoochee) is fed by Lake Lanier, which is still at the lowest levels seen since the lake was developed in the 50s. The headwaters of the 'Hooch are about three feet long so the lake depends on rains flowing in from the relatively small basin. The agricultural drought has been relieved to a great extent but experts say it would take a 'couple of years of tropical storms' to replenish Lake Lanier. The drought is worse to the northeast of ATL and into the upstate of South Carolina and the mountains of North Carolina.

Our(Austin) river situation is quite different in that the rains well to the north and west are beneficial even when we get very little precip.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Our(Austin) river situation is quite different in that the rains well to the north and west are beneficial even when we get very little precip.
Please let the LCRA know so that my water bill will reflect that. Oh, and ask if I can water my yard three times a week.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:54 AM

Comptroller Susan Combs Says Future Water Shortages Threaten Texas’ Way of Life

“By 2060, more than 46 million people could be living in Texas, and demand for water will increase by an estimated 27 percent,” Combs said. “According to the Texas Water Development Board, failing to meet this demand could cost businesses and workers in the state approximately $9.1 billion per year by 2010 and $98.4 billion per year by 2060.”

Perpetual Drought Projected for Texas As Early As 2021 - Science - redOrbit

Texas almost certainly faces a future of perpetual drought as bad as the record dry years of the 1950s because of global warming, climate scientists said in a study published Thursday.

The trend toward a drier, hotter southwestern U.S., including all of Texas, probably has already begun and could become strikingly noticeable within about 15 years, according to a study led by Richard Seager of Columbia University's Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory.

Drought conditions are expected to resemble the Dust Bowl years of the 1930s and Texas' worst-ever drought of the 1950s, Dr. Seager said. Unlike those droughts, however, the new conditions won't be temporary, the study found.

"This time, once it's in, it's in for good," Dr. Seager said.

Old 02-15-2009, 01:11 PM

20,887 posts, read 41,569,558 times
mimimomx3, did you see the charts and the historical drought data for Texas that I posted on the other thread where we're discussing this?

I don't deny we're having problems. I've just seen the "the sky is falling" reactions to normal weather fluctuations of whatever kind so often in my life that I think a little perspective is in order. It's happened before; sooner or later it WILL rain again. It's not unprecedented. ("Historical" and "unprecedented" aren't the same thing.)

Last edited by TexasHorseLady; 02-15-2009 at 01:23 PM..

Old 02-15-2009, 04:54 PM

8,924 posts, read 15,566,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Drought conditions are expected to resemble the Dust Bowl years of the 1930s and Texas' worst-ever drought of the 1950s, Dr. Seager said. Unlike those droughts, however, the new conditions won't be temporary, the study found.

"This time, once it's in, it's in for good
," Dr. Seager said.
I'm not much of a gambler, but I would have to call Dr. Seager on this one...
a permanent drought???...after the rains of a couple of years ago??? I'll wager in favor of the 'Texas cycle' I've heard so much about!

Old 02-15-2009, 09:15 PM

3,927 posts, read 5,991,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
I'm not much of a gambler, but I would have to call Dr. Seager on this one...
a permanent drought???...after the rains of a couple of years ago??? I'll wager in favor of the 'Texas cycle' I've heard so much about!
Who knows the climate could change where we do have less annual precipitation and more extreme droughts when they do happen. I think we can handle it however as there is a lot of frivolous water usage that could be cut out as well as more efficient hardware that could be implemented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin