Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 02:58 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,057,838 times

Advertisements

Has anybody else given it a try? My son and I went today and to be honest, I felt a bit underwhelmed. It was packed (near impossible to find parking) and other than good prices on produce and some store brand ready made sauces and marinades, it was surprisingly expensive. I thought I read on here (or maybe in the statesman) that it had great prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 04:44 PM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,706,914 times
I just saw it today, but have not tried it. Glad to get your impression though...may save me a trip.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:20 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
It's a Farmer's Market with local farmers selling there ?
How is it compared to Sunset Valley Farmer's Market ?

Old 02-16-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's a Farmer's Market with local farmers selling there ?
How is it compared to Sunset Valley Farmer's Market ?
No, it's a grocery store. I thought it would be a "farmer's market" in the traditional sense but no such luck.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:00 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,015,074 times
We were underwhelmed also. The meat market had good prices and the store brand was inexpensive also. Other than that the price were equal to or more than Central Market. So, we'll probably just keep doing all our shopping at CM.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:13 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,314,645 times
It's too far for me.
I'll stick with CM, WF and Wheatsville, with monthly trips to Sunset Valley. And of course HEB/Randalls. Ergh.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:42 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,734,241 times
For me it is basically like having a Sun Harvest but 50% bigger and in my neighborhood so I'm quite pleased. The produce is inexpensive and so are the meats. They probably do this so they can make up on the packaged food but those are really no more expensive than Sun Harvest which means it is cheaper than CM. I like it b/c it is the right size, easy to navigate, and their isn't a lot of fluff, i.e. stuff I have no interest in but have to wade through to get to what I want. A lot of the special prices I'm sure are just for the grand opening but looking at my receipt I got some good deals including an $0.83 eggplant, $3.33 wine, 1.69 fresh basil, 1.50 pasta sauce, $3/lb dried cranberries, $0.39 cascade yogurt, etc.

I noticed at checkout that they give you a $0.10 discount for every reusable bag you bring in.

The bulk section is pretty extensive; the deli is small but adequate, and thank goodness they have fresh seafood that is actually priced lower than HEB (or at least the specials compared to HEB's specials).

The one thing that bugged me was the huge Croc displays of footwear next to the smallish beer/wine section. If I want something for my feet I'll go to Southpark Meadows.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:50 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,450,626 times
Those who miss Trader Joes, Sprouts, Henry's, or similar stores will like Newflower! The produce prices are much less expensive, and I've found that produce at regular stores in Austin is what jacks up my food bill (compared to AZ, where we moved from).

Old 02-17-2009, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
Those who miss Trader Joes, Sprouts, Henry's, or similar stores will like Newflower! The produce prices are much less expensive, and I've found that produce at regular stores in Austin is what jacks up my food bill (compared to AZ, where we moved from).
You see, I shopped Trader Joes every week before I moved here (it was my primary food shopping destination) and I don't think this place can compare in terms of prices. I was just at TJs less than a month ago too. Other than produce and some of there store brand stuff, I find HEB to be less expensive and TJ' Seattle prices to be less expensive. I didn't check out meats while I was there so I cannot comment. My sense is that if feel like I can handle the crowds and deal with having to circle the parking lot several times to find parking, it MIGHT be worth it to go there to get produce.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:01 AM

5,865 posts, read 11,920,390 times
I think the crowds is strictly a grand opening thing. I'm pretty sure it will settle down in a week or two.

There was an article about it in the paper and they said that they plan to start carrying more local produce in the near future, hence the "farmers market" nomenclature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin