U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2007, 07:59 PM

20 posts, read 108,576 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,
I am new to Texas. My hubby really wants to move to East Texas (his parents are moving in a few months), and he wants some land. We want to spend under $250,000 so we can simplify our lives. We have teenagers and I really have to have good schools. Any suggestions? We hear Austin and the area is awesome...what are the plusses and minuses to the area? Thanks for any and all suggestions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2007, 08:47 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,027,356 times
hi there!

Well...just so you know, Austin is considered central Texas, not east Texas.

I don't know how big a house you need, but in the really good school districts here in the Austin area, you would probably have a hard time finding a property with some land (I'm saying "some land" is larger than 1/3 acre or so) for under $250,000. I think your best shot at it would be in the Round Rock area. If you're looking for an acre or more, I think that would be a really hard thing to find in that price range.

You can do a search in this forum for Round Rock and get a lot of great info.

Pluses to Austin: great small town feel, fun downtown scene, lots of beautiful topography, great people, housing costs reasonable compared to CA (except keep in mind property taxes here run about 2.5 to 3% of your property value - a significant difference over CA unless you are in an area where Mello-Roos tax is levied), better schools than CA

Minuses: property taxes. Not a great metro-wide transit system. Developments are tending more toward being CA like (small lots). Traffic can be bad (it's relative to where you're coming from). Austin is the most expensive area of Texas to live in. Tough to get direct flights in/out of Austin to other places.

Good luck!

Old 03-18-2007, 08:06 AM

20 posts, read 108,576 times
Default thanks!

You helped a lot. I have heard of Round Rock. Looked at the schools...awesome...you are right. What is the weather like there? that is my hubbys main concern. Thanks again.

Old 03-18-2007, 12:13 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,027,356 times
Weather is like a lot of Austin...pretty hot in the summer, and generally warmer than most of the U.S. the rest of the year. We did have a pretty good cold stretch here this winter and even some real live ice

I wouldn't call it a true 4 seasons kind of place, but it's more 4 seasons than Arizona (where I came from!). Trees lose their leaves, the grass turns kind of brown in the winter and you can feel a difference in the breeze. What part of CA are you coming from? I lived there too, and can probably help compare for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: