Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2007, 10:01 AM

65 posts, read 432,481 times

Advertisements

We want to relocated to Austin area and will probably rent until we know where is our spot. We DO NOT want to move in and have our neighbors all college kids. Is there an area or certain apts. whtat we should avoid?

We are quiet people and like our privacy and are hoping to find a complex that is more geared to "adults" and not kids. We would want one with seperate entrances so we are not all having to pass neighbors when coming or going. Any ideas?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 10:12 AM

106 posts, read 449,415 times
Avoid "West Campus," which is the area west of UT. North Campus is a mix of students and "grown-ups." Also avoid the Riverside Drive/Pleasant Valley area, or as I call it--"The Valley of the Apartments." There's also some apartments south of St. Edward's University in South Austin that tend to cater to students.

Hyde Park is a nice residential area north of campus; it has some student apartments, but mostly pricey, restored Craftsman bungalows.

May I ask what kind of budget you have in mind? I wore out many, many sets of locaters the last time I apartment-hunted, so I practically developed a locater's knowledge of the local market.

I live in NW Austin in the Arboretum area. It's very inconvenient to downtown, but the shopping is great. I have two grocery stores in walking distance, not to mention an art house cinema and Saks Fifth Avenue (not that I use Saks--just saying). And while most of the restaurants are pretty much chains I also have a wilderness belt behind my building and a wilderness park a few blocks away. I'm always seeing deer come out at night.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:31 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,333,657 times
There are so many nice apartment complexes here in Austin. Do you have any idea which part of the city you would prefer? Will you be commuting for work?

Old 03-19-2007, 11:41 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
hoping to find a complex that is more geared to "adults" and not kids.
Fair housing laws forbid that, unless it's a designated "55 or older" community. There are a number of those around Austin, call an apartment locator and they can help you.

Quote:
We are quiet people and like our privacy
Your wants are mutually exclusive. "Quiet and privacy" are incompatible with apartment living. Maybe you should look for a small house or garden home. In an apartment, nobody can ever guaranty you quiet or privacy, it comes with the territory - you have people above, below, beside you, and you can hear them and they can hear you. Dogs bark, kids cry, etc.

Steve

Old 03-19-2007, 12:24 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Another place to avoid is the Far West Blvd area....lots of students and on the shuttle route. For that matter, if the complex is on (or near) a shuttle route, you will have lots of students.

Shuttle route map:
http://www.utexas.edu/parking/transportation/shuttle/austin-bus.html (broken link)

Of course, some places on the routes will meet your criteria, but it is less likely, and places not on the routes will all still have students, just not as high a concentration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin