Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 12:52 PM

110 posts, read 521,753 times

Advertisements

I'm in North County San Diego. We do have a LOT of restaurants around us with lots of variety, all within 5-10 minutes or so. This area is great for that and shopping and other forms of entertainment, but the crowds and people and tinyu homesites and poor quality of education has got us looking elsewhere. We're willing to give up some of this convenience for Austin's benefits, but not TOO much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 02:05 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,261,197 times
Since you're looking at Westlake, hit the 360 north during rush hour to get a feel for that drive. It, too, can get pretty icky.

Old 03-20-2007, 02:18 PM

259 posts, read 1,915,042 times
what is HEB? i see that mentioned alot on here..shopping area?

Old 03-20-2007, 02:21 PM

2,267 posts, read 7,303,064 times
HEB is a grocery store. It's based out of San Antonio so it's very prevalent here. HEB also owns Central Market, which is a GREAT store.

I think the initials (HEB) are the founder's name - can't remember it though. So you say H-E-B, not Heeb!

Old 03-20-2007, 02:25 PM

106 posts, read 448,009 times
It's the leading grocery store chain, founded a century ago by one Howard E. Butt. They have an upscale gourmet version of stores called HEB Central Market, that are absolutely amazing, and for me, better than Whole Foods. The first time I walked into the produce room in the North Lamar Central Mkt. I was almost knocked over by the smell of freshness. There is such a variety of food throughout the store that it intimidates me when I go in, and I usually just wind up getting the same stuff over and over again.

I used to live a few blocks from the North Lamar store, but now that I've moved to an area with just normal grocery stores nearby, I'm just this side of disgusted with the lack of selection and the comparatively puny produce sections.

Old 03-20-2007, 03:14 PM

15,237 posts, read 35,431,654 times
HEB is still a 'family owned' business that practically 'owns' SA (it started in Kerrville, just outside of SA) and is close to taking over Austin. It also is big in Corpus Christi and is growing in Houston.

Historically, it had, by far, the best prices for a good product. Albertson's could compete on price, but not quality, and Randalls has typically had similar quality, but for a much higher price. Now that HEB has become a powerful player in the market, their prices are not as low as they used to be, but still good (for the most part).

Interestingly, when HEB started Central Market it became an almost instant success. Because of that, they now have a new 'green' level store that they are putting in. The newest locally is the one on Slaughter and Escarpment. They have very large organic sections, the 'Cafe on the Run' (where a wide variety of food is 'ready to eat'), a great coffee station, and generally more floor space. These stores are kind of a cross between a Central Market and a regular HEB.

On the negative side, I am not a big fan of the HEB Plus stores that are going in. They carry clothing, have a garden section, have a music area, and have a lot of kitchen hardware, etc. I know that they are intended to complete with Wal-mart, but they look a little too much like a Wal Mart .

From my personal experience, HEBs tend to have much friendlier employees than a lot of the other local, stores, too... Kind of reminds me of SW airlines...I wonder if they run a similar business model .

Old 03-22-2007, 09:40 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,040,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orionid View Post
Hi everyone -

Well we're finally coming to your neck of the woods to see what all of the fuss is about ... my wife and two pre-teen kids in tow. We have a real estate agent to show us some homes, but we really want to see what LIFE in Austin will be like .. not the idyllic stuff but real day-to-day. We want to see the people and how life flows there. Here's what we've got on our list:

- the local HEB
- Austin Dave & Buster's
- Barton Creek Mall (gotta see one at least)
- UT campus
- Zilker Park
- Mt Bonnell
- a local bowling alley?
- restaurants & kid-friendly bars w/music (need recommendations)
- an top Austin pizza place
- a local rec league baseball game

... are there any other places you would recommend we go to get the real day-to-day life of a would-be NW Austiner?

Thanks!!
Instead of barton creek, try the domain (newest outdoor mall). The arboretum is nice, but small (eat at amys ice cream)
You might also want to go north of austin to the outlet malls in round rock
We like mangia for pizza (chicago style) and their fries are awesome (mesa and spicewood springs). Some people like brick oven for thin crust pizza and saccones for new york style pizza.

Instead of HEB, I would try central market or the downtown whole foods flagship store. Although if you live up north you will go to the whole foods up north.

Watch a movie at the alamo drafthouse (they serve food) - my wife is at one doing a singalong right now. Check out their calendar for crazy events. They showed jaws on the lake and had scuba divers pull at peoples feet.

For bowling, a friend mentioned one on I35 which I think is AMF Showplace Lanes - 9504 N Ih 35, Austin, TX which has recently been renovated.

You have to eat bbq, try rudy's, get the extra moist brisket and creamed corn

Esthers follies comedy show downtown

If it is in the summer go swimming in barton springs pool

Rent a boat on lake travis

Go hiking in the green belt

Watch the bats in the evening

Round rock express minor league baseball
Ice bats hockey

Old 03-22-2007, 10:35 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,022,972 times
Quote:
You have to eat bbq, try rudy's, get the extra moist brisket and creamed corn
I had this today.

SO. GOOD.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:07 AM

1,207 posts, read 6,261,197 times
Yup...I had meant to mention Rudy's creamed corn...it is to DIE for!!!!!

I also ate at Shady Grove, finally, yesterday. Green chile fries are AWESOME!

Old 03-23-2007, 08:40 AM

395 posts, read 1,536,210 times
It's the leading grocery store chain, founded a century ago by one Howard E. Butt.

When we lived in Austin my kids were still in elementary school. One time one of them asked what the letters HEB meant. A cashier there told them that they stood for Howard Edward Butt. My husband then said that they couldn't very well call it Buttmart now could they?

From then on my kids called it Buttmart. They thought it was so funny.

I hope my husband gets his administrative law hearing for his disability soon. Then we will know if we can afford the down payment for a home in the Austin metro are (suburbs). I really cannot wait!

Last edited by Floridamom1970; 03-23-2007 at 08:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin