Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 08:50 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,122,230 times

Advertisements

Jeez people, stop bashing.

1) Austin is a great place
2) SF is great place
3) Austin does not equal SF they are totally different.

Everyone has a different perspective on what they want and what floats their boat. Don't hate Californian's they can buy up all the foreclosure's :-) Personally, I like Austin and turned down many jobs in the bay area but that was my choice.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:54 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank0604 View Post
Compared to other cities in the south, Austin is very different and very cool. Compared to places like the Bay area and Chicago, it's very suburban and cookie-cutter. And the heat in the summer is downright oppressive. And this is coming from someone who grew up in Louisiana, so I thought I would be okay because it was a "dry heat." Austin will always be an oasis for southerners looking to escape the conservative craziness that pervades all the rest of the south, but anyone who moves from CA or NY will probably be underwhelmed.
In Texas at least, Houston and Dallas (the cities, not the suburbs) are not super conservative at all. Look at a voting results map, and you'll see Austin is certainly no longer the only "blue" area of Texas.
And several things in Houston (such as most of the Montrose area, and the Art Car museum) are "weirder" and "cooler" than anything I ever saw in Austin.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:29 AM

251 posts, read 1,034,279 times
You cannot compare one city really to another, you have to look Austin or any other city for
what it has to offer...

Some cities are better for others and some cities are better for another group....

All parts of California are not in foreclosures, a lot are, but not all areas...

I also think it is wrong to have an attitude as if SF and NYC for example are the only places
to live, as a native...I think that is wrong...

For families the South offers a better overall quality of life....

In California now your parents need to have given you property or make $100,000 plus...

Old 02-27-2009, 09:35 AM

artsyguy,

She went to grad school there..around the late 70's...she really liked it...

My brother almost went to law school at UT in Austin, he ended up
staying here and going to Cal,

He really liked Austin though...and said he could live there....

Old 02-27-2009, 09:38 AM

98 posts, read 295,187 times
I'm a Californian, but I hate to even say that I live in Northern California in a small college town of 80,000. My brothers have lived in the Austin area my whole life so I spent a lot of time there. I will be making the move soon. This move took a lot of thought, visits, and realization. In my area I will have no chance of getting a job for the next two years, but most likely 5-7. That is finishing at the top of my class. When I do get a job, I will not make enough to get a house, and will probably get laid off yearly. We truly value teachers in Ca. I know that I have to move and I have chosen Austin as where I am going. I hate the cookie cutter so I kept visiting and driving until I found an area that I like. I can't compare it in any way to where I am living now. But, it is something that I am pretty sure I can live with. And guess what if I don't like it I can always move.

However, I have visited Austin at least once a year for the past 10 years and have visited Texas for the past 25 years. When I made the choice to move I took a week trip to go check it out and come April I will be going for 10 days. You can not decide on where you are going to spend the rest of your life in one weekend visit.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:40 AM

jobert,

I don't think it is right to trash every other part of the country...agreed..

I had a girlfriend from Dallas who moved to the Bay Area with her family---she had to move
back to Texas..she just didn't like it here...

All houses in the Bay Area are not shoeboxes either...there is more overall land in the South
especially between houses.....

No comparison though between a nice Southern house ..in Charlotte 10 years ago I visited a $350,000 house and it was almost like a mansion..I thought about
how high the homes are here...but some folks are willing to pay for it..or IF they are lucky they got in when homes were much cheaper....

Housing Prices have gone up in a lot of areas because of Californians--some cousins in
Denver told me it happened there as well...

I know a lot of people who have moved to Texas--to Dallas Area, Houston Area and San Antonio...

Old 02-27-2009, 09:45 AM

mego65,

Yes, you cannot make an assessment of an area in one weekend...agreed..

Good luck on your move....

It also makes a difference when you have family in area that you relocate too...that is priceless

Old 02-27-2009, 09:47 AM

AK123,

There always seemed to be fierce debates on being in either Houston or Dallas....from folks
I knew from Texas..

Kinda of like the rivalry between LA and the Bay Area.....

I worked with a nice lady from Beaumont....she retired there....

Old 02-27-2009, 10:10 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,055,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman99 View Post
No, you're right, and I really agree. I was just shocked at how disappointing Austin was after everything we had heard, even with the pre-conceived understanding that nothing could match the Bay area. We came with an incredibly open mind, and with the expectation that THIS was going to be the place for us to settle down and enjoy a good family life. We were just shocked at how generic the whole area felt. I can't even put my finger on exactly what it was, but it was basically the massive presence of generic, cookie-cutter urban sprawl, coupled with a very generic downtown that couldn't really be differentiated from any other downtown or college town out there. Couple that with what we heard from EVERYONE about the incredibly horrendous summer weather, and we were just left asking ourselves "what?" makes this place remotely special? We just don't get it.

I could understand it if you could get a decent house for $300K, but like I said above, anything even remotely decent that we saw with any character (and by that I mean a house that doesn't look exactly like the house next door and a house that at least has some trees for privacy betwen lots) was at least $450K in any area remotely close to downtown.

So again, I'm really sorry to be a downer. We were just incredibly disappointed in what we saw. We thought after everything we read on this forum that Austin was different, but we just didn't see it. Are we totally off base here?
And a "decent house" in SF near downtown will run you at least 3 times as much! And you're not going to get much privacy with the homes on top of each other.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:16 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,055,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
I agree with the above. Starting/raising a family was the #1 reason I moved here, and I love it. The Austin environment has a certain detachment from pop culture that I insisted my children have while growing up. If you want your children to have a more naturalist world-view, this is the place to be. If you are a recovering hipster with a family who doens't want to be a workaholic corporate sellout to afford a decent life for your children, this place is heaven.
Excellent post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin