Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 11:15 AM

111 posts, read 294,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothercalifornian View Post
I'd like to comment on a couple things that were mentioned in this thread:
The heat here is not horrible in terms of getting into ultra high digits, it's mainly the fact that it lasts for about six straight months, without any break.
Also, what some of us mean by "houses with character" are houses that are perhaps older, historic, or just something that sets it apart from the typical track homes you see in a burb or master planned community. Thats my definition anyway.
Older houses, unless very modernly restored, are not my thing. I have lived in some houses that were 20 years old, and I just cant stand them. Old electricity standards, usually poor heating and insulation, and just lack the "clean" look of many of the newer homes. Sure, they might be "unique" and have a "story", but I plan to live in the house, not write a book about it. :P

Plus, the more hot weather, the better. Bergen, Norway, where I currently live has around 300 rainy days a year. This coming from Sacramento with 300 SUNNY days a year. Bring on the heat. If I could have just summer all year, I would be on board for that. I am not much of one for seasons to be honest with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 11:26 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,012 times
The only "natural disaster" that could affect Austin is drought. That being said, it would make life uncomfortable but you wouldn't die immediately like an earthquake, tsunami, hurricane, tornado, volcano, etc. It would be a managable disaster, and you would have a choice to cope in your own way. You don't have that luxury in other parts of the U.S. Austin is dry now, but we are in the same boat as everyone from Los Angeles to S. Carolina, so that comes with the latitude.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
The only "natural disaster" that could affect Austin is drought. That being said, it would make life uncomfortable but you wouldn't die immediately like an earthquake, tsunami, hurricane, tornado, volcano, etc. It would be a managable disaster, and you would have a choice to cope in your own way. You don't have that luxury in other parts of the U.S.
Well... Lets be honest, Austin has flooded a bit, and has been known to get a tornado or two. However, flash flooding is localized, and can usually be avoided if you don't live in flood areas, and the tornadoes that hit Austin seem to be small and rare.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:31 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,012 times
Tornados has also hit up and down the east coast as well (there were tornados in Delaware and Brooklyn, NYC in recent years). We have 100year and 500year flood plains to cope with flash flood - we call them "greenbelts", and they add to the abundance of nature that can be found here.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:35 AM

322 posts, read 748,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latsabb View Post
I am looking for a decent sized US town with good weather year round (limited or no snow) that has a lower cost of living, nice people, and limited natural disasters. A stable (comparitively to the rest of the US of course) economy and job market are also very high on the list. Compared to any of the Californian cities, Texas is alight years ahead on all counts, minus of course the weather.

Compared to Norway... Yeah, Texas wins hands down. I have heard good things about Austin, so I am going to check it out. If it doesn't work out, I might head to Dallas or Houston, but Houston is too close to the sea for my comfort (hurricanes) and something about Dallas doesn't sit right with me. Austin seems too far north to be effected too badly by hurricanes, and too far south for tornado alley. It has a lot of suburbs, and seems to have at least a pretty good economy and job market.
From the sounds of it, you need to definitely need to consider San Antonio.

Same climate as Austin, but in San Antonio its easier to afford to live near the big box stores, malls, and chain grocery stores.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:59 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,448,062 times
Default How do you know?

For the OP:
So please, can someone set this straight?
Same goes for Austin I think. I think a lot of people that think the place is REALLY great, or REALLY crap just don't have enough perspective.[/quote]

You have never lived there or even visited so how do YOU know? I think what you call bashing is really someone posting what they thought about the city who has either lived in Austin or have visited long enough to make an assessment about the city. I believe that they are just trying to inform others to not believe the market hype. That is all!!! No one is saying it is a bad place to live they are just saying it is not a place that they find interesting or enticing enough to want to live there. Also they are expressing that when they did their research about the city they heard all of sort of incredible things that are just not true and that are used to market the city.

It is a good thing that people have their perspective to share. It helps others to learn more about a city rather than having to rely solely on the marketing. This forum is not only about a one view perspective it is about many different sides of a perspective. Some are going to be able to relate to the perspective and some are not but that is life.

Last edited by TVC15; 03-02-2009 at 12:10 PM..

Old 03-02-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlx View Post
From the sounds of it, you need to definitely need to consider San Antonio.

Same climate as Austin, but in San Antonio its easier to afford to live near the big box stores, malls, and chain grocery stores.
I will check it out. However, I am moving to Austin on March 4th, so the plans are too far in motion. I read some bad things as far as safety on San Antonio, but it is easy enough to relocate if things end up going poorly. Since I will be driving from California to Austin, I can go a bit out of the way and check out San Antonio while on my road trip.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:39 PM

707 posts, read 1,845,856 times
Quote:
The heat here is not horrible in terms of getting into ultra high digits, it's mainly the fact that it lasts for about six straight months, without any break.
Also, what some of us mean by "houses with character" are houses that are perhaps older, historic, or just something that sets it apart from the typical track homes you see in a burb or master planned community. Thats my definition anyway.
Have you even been to some of the older neighborhhods? Of course many of the new homes in suburbs are cookie cutter homes. That's what happens when a city gets bombarded with new residents who need housing quickly. There are lots of older neighborhoods in Austin with character...and trees! Lots and lots of trees!

Old 03-02-2009, 12:44 PM

707 posts, read 1,845,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latsabb View Post
I will check it out. However, I am moving to Austin on March 4th, so the plans are too far in motion. I read some bad things as far as safety on San Antonio, but it is easy enough to relocate if things end up going poorly. Since I will be driving from California to Austin, I can go a bit out of the way and check out San Antonio while on my road trip.
Actually, it would be quite easy to do so. If you take I-10 it takes you directly into San Antonio. Driving through west Texas is FAST -- the posted speed limit is 80 and there are hardly any other vehicles on the road.
Then you can catch I-35 from SA to Austin.

I'm from Austin, but recently moved to SA because of my husband's job. I never thought I'd live here, but I do like it. (Actually I am happy to be back in Texas, period; the past 10 years we've been in ND, CA and CO).

Old 03-02-2009, 12:45 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,000,519 times
Quote:
OMG, it's hot for six straight months??? I'M MELTING just thinking about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin