Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 03:35 PM

10 posts, read 23,917 times

Advertisements

I am currently teaching in a suburban school outside of Cincinnati. We are one of the best school districts in the state and although I love my school I would like to relocate to the Austin area after my next and 3rd year of teaching. I am looking not only for a school district, but also an ideal place for me to live. I would like a school that is culturally diverse, doesn't have to be the best academically, but is a somewhat safe work atmosphere. I teach middle school science and prefer it, but am also certified in Ohio for middle school social studies. I would like to be in a more urban school setting because I myself went to urban public schools all my life, but wouldn't be opposed to working in a suburban area. As far as living, I would like a place that is moderately priced for a teachers salary, culturally diverse, and has areas you could walk to with shops, restaurants, and nightlife. I would like a place that has younger families and singles. Does this place even exist in or around Austin? Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 03:52 PM

123 posts, read 718,237 times
First, from one Ohio-an to another... the weather is much better here!!! I grew up in SE Ohio and moved here from NE Ohio. My niece just graduated from UC and is currently working and living there. My sister-in-law also lives in Cincy.

Secondly, do a search on this forum to find all the other threads dealing with teaching in Texas. There are a lot that myself and others have posted information on.

There are a few factors to think about in your quest to get out of the Buckeye state. First and foremost is the pay cut you will take. I'm not sure about the Cincy area, but in NE Ohio, where I was teaching, I took a huge paycut to teach here. And while there isn't any state income tax and that helps, it's still a big cut. Another thing to look at is health insurance. It isn't as good here as the district I was in. But even with those two things said, I am SO glad we moved.

Your Ohio certificate won't do you any good here other than getting you a one year temporary Texas teaching certificate. Within that first year, you will have to take the appropriate tests to get certified in Texas.

As for teaching in an urban setting, you will want to try Austin ISD, although there are some schools in Round Rock, where I teach that could use some good teachers with an "urban mindset". Just because it's suburbia doesn't mean there aren't any challenges.

Please PM me if you have any specific questions.

Last edited by ohio2texas; 03-02-2009 at 04:13 PM..

Old 03-03-2009, 04:33 PM

264 posts, read 1,001,337 times
Have you even visited Austin or Texas or are you just like the other 500,000 people who are moving here every year because of "what you heard about Austin and/or Texas" on message boards? LOL!!

Seriously, how do people just pick Austin from half way across the country as a place to move to? Yes, I'm one of those native Texans who doesn't like all the changes all this migration is causing, but I still can't understand what is drawing so many here, especially from Ohio, Georgia, California, Oregon, Wisconsin, New York, and Arizona. Why don't you come here and visit a few times, get a feel for the people, culture, surroundings, etc and then secure a job before coming? Sounds like common sense, huh? Try it.....

Old 03-03-2009, 06:31 PM

98 posts, read 295,260 times
The best part of it AustinTexan is the fact that if you look at the bottom of the page, the person posted the same post in several cities.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:36 PM

Thank you Ohio2Texas. I have visited both Austin and Houston, but as a visitor I had no idea what the school districts were like because my intent for visiting was pleasure and not work. You were very helpful and I appreciate the positive post.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mego65 View Post
The best part of it AustinTexan is the fact that if you look at the bottom of the page, the person posted the same post in several cities.

Additionally Mego65, the threads at the bottom of the page are not from me. They are simply similar post that city-data.com has found that others have placed on the website. I have actually only posted this message in the Austin, Houston, and Philidelphia forums. All of which, I have visited and truly enjoyed. It was my understanding that the forums were places for discussion, clarification, and help. Is this not so?

Old 03-18-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTexan View Post
Have you even visited Austin or Texas or are you just like the other 500,000 people who are moving here every year because of "what you heard about Austin and/or Texas" on message boards? LOL!!

Seriously, how do people just pick Austin from half way across the country as a place to move to? Yes, I'm one of those native Texans who doesn't like all the changes all this migration is causing, but I still can't understand what is drawing so many here, especially from Ohio, Georgia, California, Oregon, Wisconsin, New York, and Arizona. Why don't you come here and visit a few times, get a feel for the people, culture, surroundings, etc and then secure a job before coming? Sounds like common sense, huh? Try it.....

I have visited, but thanks for sharing your common sense
By the way.... migration?! That's funny. Who would have thought that as an American citizen, active in society, and a civil servant that I would be critized for wanting to move across state lines to teach the future leaders of tomorrow while creating an environment that allows children to feel safe and cared for. As though I am attempting to create an uprsing of Ohioans moving to Texas. You got me! I'm caught! You should watch out for those Ohio girls trying to change the social and cultural identity of the native Texan (whose ancestors were not even born there) and overthrow the powers that be. But again, thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:40 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Lots of teachers relocating to Austin..here's something to read:

//www.city-data.com/forum/austi...recession.html

Old 03-18-2009, 10:52 PM

264 posts, read 1,001,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincyteacher View Post
I have visited, but thanks for sharing your common sense
By the way.... migration?! That's funny. Who would have thought that as an American citizen, active in society, and a civil servant that I would be critized for wanting to move across state lines to teach the future leaders of tomorrow while creating an environment that allows children to feel safe and cared for. As though I am attempting to create an uprsing of Ohioans moving to Texas. You got me! I'm caught! You should watch out for those Ohio girls trying to change the social and cultural identity of the native Texan (whose ancestors were not even born there) and overthrow the powers that be. But again, thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Trust me, there are more than enough "ohioans" moving here to Texas who think they are doing us a favor for doing so. And I'm not so sure any of us Texans want our kids taught by the rude and obnoxious ways of northerners. I'm not saying that your are one of those "rude and obnoxious" types, but the stereotype is pretty darn accurate for a majority of your peers in the north/northeast. And why wouldn't you be that way? It's cold most of the time, you're miserable, the crime is horrible, the economy sucks, and by Texas standards, the people aren't very attractive. So you see, I can see why most of you fit that stereotype so well. Hell, I'd be pretty pissed off at the world if I lived there too! LOL!!

Old 03-18-2009, 11:01 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,094,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTexan View Post
Trust me, there are more than enough "ohioans" moving here to Texas who think they are doing us a favor for doing so. And I'm not so sure any of us Texans want our kids taught by the rude and obnoxious ways of northerners. I'm not saying that your are one of those "rude and obnoxious" types, but the stereotype is pretty darn accurate for a majority of your peers in the north/northeast. And why wouldn't you be that way? It's cold most of the time, you're miserable, the crime is horrible, the economy sucks, and by Texas standards, the people aren't very attractive. So you see, I can see why most of you fit that stereotype so well. Hell, I'd be pretty pissed off at the world if I lived there too! LOL!!
Now, hold on a minute there Hoss. I can tell you're tryin' to be funny. But it ain't coming across that way. And before we get into tossing around stereotypes...let's not forget where we are, and our stereotypes, which you're filling out just nicely.

What happened to a little southern hospitality and kindness? I'm sure you're doing your momma proud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin