Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 04:06 PM

399 posts, read 974,007 times

Advertisements

I came here from Shreveport, LA - compared to Shreveport, Austin is liberal, but that might not be saying much. There are liberal pockets in Austin, but I think it's just really laid-back more than anything else. Compared to where I grew up, religious conservatism and homophobia are nonexistent here. I generally don't feel uncomfortable mentioning that I have a same-sex partner to most people here, or that I'm a Buddhist. Where I grew up, that would not be the case.

Also, I think it depends on what you mean by "liberal." I consider myself (mostly) liberal, but liberals from San Francisco (for example) might think I was a moderate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 10:28 AM

989 posts, read 2,497,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
They are politically democratic yet socially conservative people (go figure on that one). There are no hippies, major art scene, or out gay scene. Minorities tend to be socially conservative too.
Socially conservative? As in anti-gay rights, anti-abortion, pro-prayer in school, pro-abstinence, etc?

I really disagree with that analysis.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:28 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,871,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXIronHorse View Post
Socially conservative? As in anti-gay rights, anti-abortion, pro-prayer in school, pro-abstinence, etc?

I really disagree with that analysis.
It's true, and artsyguy is right about minorities; that's one of the reasons why the anti-gay marriage amendment passed easily in California, to everyone's surprise (shouldn't have been a surprise). You will rarely find Hispanics or AAs that are atheist or even agnostic; Hispanics are mostly Catholic, so they are pro-abstinence, anti-gay marriage, pro-prayer, and anti-abortion. AAs are very chuch-oriented too, from everything I've seen and heard. These groups vote democrat for other reasons, but are indeed socially conservative.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:14 PM

193 posts, read 481,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guffb View Post
I would say Austin is more a middle ground town compared to a liberal one. Especially in regards to the in your face left wing Liberalism that such places as Berkley are known for. Someone in a separate forum said it perfectly:

"You can express your conservative opinions in a leftist coffeehouse and you won't feel like everyone wants to kill you. And you can say something liberal in a conservative place and you will probably be just as safe."

I think Austin has a true type of tolerance that left wing liberals think they have (as long as you see things their way) and that right wing conservatives pride themselves on not having.
Come as your are be it blue or red or god or darwin gay or straight and accept that there is more than one way to see things in life.
LOVE this. And that's a huge reason I'm moving to Austin. I love politics and I love people having different opinions, but being liberal myself, I wanted to move somewhere where I would find many people like me, and many people different from me. It's frustrating to live in an area where you feel like an outsider politically, but I can imagine it must be even more frustrating to live somewhere where every single person you meet is a carbon copy politically of yourself.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:35 AM

640 posts, read 1,731,587 times
Quote:
I would say Austin is more a middle ground town compared to a liberal one. Especially in regards to the in your face left wing Liberalism that such places as Berkley are known for. Someone in a separate forum said it perfectly:

"You can express your conservative opinions in a leftist coffeehouse and you won't feel like everyone wants to kill you. And you can say something liberal in a conservative place and you will probably be just as safe."

I think Austin has a true type of tolerance that left wing liberals think they have (as long as you see things their way) and that right wing conservatives pride themselves on not having.
Come as your are be it blue or red or god or darwin gay or straight and accept that there is more than one way to see things in life.
haha I just realized I'm the third person to repost this quote! But its so on target. Austin truthfully isn't really "liberal", it's more libertarian and that is what makes Austin culture so great. It would really suck for Austin if it turned into a commune of hypocritical "progressive" hipsters/urban professionals. See: San Francisco.
I also have to agree with what artsyguy mentioned that minorities are more conservative here. I know quite a few Hispanic and Asian conservatives who vote Republican. I myself after visiting some more left-leaning states have had to reconsider some of my political beliefs. I think it was because growing up in Texas I THOUGHT I was a "liberal", but really I was more a libertarian "live and let live" type.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:07 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,100 times
Quote:

This is what I'm definitely looking for. I've nearly had it w/ hypocritical liberals where I am in the Northeast where although they're "liberal" in their political affiliation, the ideas, tolerance to different opinions, dealings w/ racial issues, and treatment of those who don't fit the typical "liberal" image and has a mind of their own, is horrid. This is one of the main reason why I just want a place that's more live-and-let-live & libertarian-like.
(But my thread turned into some "Texas is Flat/Texas is not flat" sub-thread. Not that I don't appreciate the information, but I couldn't give a damn if I'm in a desert, as long as the people aren't completely narcissistic and shallow A-Types who live for power trips and bashing other people.

If Anyone ever lived in the DC area (or in the Northeast in general), you would understand).

Old 03-07-2009, 10:31 AM

193 posts, read 481,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
This is what I'm definitely looking for. I've nearly had it w/ hypocritical liberals where I am in the Northeast where although they're "liberal" in their political affiliation, the ideas, tolerance to different opinions, dealings w/ racial issues, and treatment of those who don't fit the typical "liberal" image and has a mind of their own, is horrid. This is one of the main reason why I just want a place that's more live-and-let-live & libertarian-like.
(But my thread turned into some "Texas is Flat/Texas is not flat" sub-thread. Not that I don't appreciate the information, but I couldn't give a damn if I'm in a desert, as long as the people aren't completely narcissistic and shallow A-Types who live for power trips and bashing other people.

If Anyone ever lived in the DC area (or in the Northeast in general), you would understand).
That's the unfortunate problems with forums... opinions clash in threads about random things and an argument ensues... just take what you find helpful from this thread and let the rest of us battle out the issues that came up! We know you don't care too much about weather or not it's flat (as I don't either, I've lived in flat areas and mountainy- terrain doesn't bother me much- for some people I know it does), but sometimes threads just take weird tangents.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:51 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,929,154 times
The way he described DC is how I experienced Austin. No offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchoverme View Post
That's the unfortunate problems with forums... opinions clash in threads about random things and an argument ensues... just take what you find helpful from this thread and let the rest of us battle out the issues that came up! We know you don't care too much about weather or not it's flat (as I don't either, I've lived in flat areas and mountainy- terrain doesn't bother me much- for some people I know it does), but sometimes threads just take weird tangents.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:21 PM

804 posts, read 1,964,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueseas123 View Post
It would really suck for Austin if it turned into a commune of hypocritical "progressive" hipsters/urban professionals. See: San Francisco.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
I couldn't give a damn if I'm in a desert, as long as the people aren't completely narcissistic and shallow A-Types who live for power trips and bashing other people. If Anyone ever lived in the DC area (or in the Northeast in general), you would understand).
We do encounter these in Austin from time to time.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:33 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,929,154 times
Very very true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore07 View Post
We do encounter these in Austin from time to time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin