Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2009, 09:14 AM

14 posts, read 34,054 times

Advertisements

My wife and I currently live in Florida with my 2 year old daughter. We have been looking into moving to the Round Rock are for some time now, I am looking to transfer there with my current job. It seems like a safe family friendly area that we would enjoy.

My concern is that my wife has severe allergies to many types of grass, molds, trees and weeds. Living on Florida where much of the things she is allergic to grows is a heavy bruden for her on a daily basis. Does anyone know how allergy sufferers do in Texas, in particular the Round Rock area? I would think that because the climate is a little more dry that it would be better for allergies, but I dont know. Any insight would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 09:16 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,056,886 times
google "cedar fever"

Old 03-05-2009, 09:20 AM

14 posts, read 34,054 times
We lived in Atlanta for 3 years and there was a HUGE pollen problem there. She actually didn't do to bad with the pollen. Is that the only problem in that area is the pollen count from Dec to Feb?

Old 03-05-2009, 10:04 AM

426 posts, read 1,673,828 times
My honest answer is if your wife has allergies that severe, Texas really isn't an option then. It's pretty much year round with the extreme periods end of winter/early spring - especially in all of Central Texas.

I was allergic to all of the same stuff as your wife when I was a child and I outgrew it eventually, but I had to have shots/take daily medicine year round for years to combat the allergies.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:04 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,303 times
The Austin area including Round Rock is not the best place for allergy sufferers. Also, some of us that have never suffered allergies can develop them after moving here. That being said, it's still worth it for us to live here as there are so many other positives for us.

Here are some links to some local news websites that will give some additional information:
News for Austin, Texas | KVUE.com | Allergy Forecast (http://www.kvue.com/allergy/seasonal/ - broken link)

News 8 Austin | 24 Hour Local News | Allergy Forecast

Old 03-05-2009, 02:29 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,652,329 times
MY dh and one o my sons have severe allergies and its not easy living here. Every season something is in the air. We are from here so we love it here and have lived other places but still came back to the area. They do have to be on meds 365/24/7.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:19 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
My spouse has severe allergies, particularly to mold, and he takes medication every day of the year. Regular allergy shots help too.

Expect all year allergies. Although we are in a drought this year and our air is dryer than normal, generally there can be very high mold counts at any time throughout the year. Tree pollen is heavy in the spring and fall and cedar season runs from November to March! Even if you do not have a specific allergy to cedar, the sheer number of particulate in the air during that time can cause problems in people with allergies and sinus trouble.

Plus side, Austin is full of excellent allergists and doctors take it all seriously. Missing work because of allergies will not raise eyebrows!

Old 03-05-2009, 10:48 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
I agree with all of the above. We're a family of allergy sufferers too and our daughter is asthmatic (infection induced) but allergies can also exacerbate it. But, on the plus side for us, they aren't as bad in Central Texas as they are when we visit the grandparents in Houston or in Tyler.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:41 AM

264 posts, read 1,001,337 times
If you're already prone to allergy issues, Central Texas is NOT your best option. I've lived here all my life and my allergies seem to be getting worst every year. Instead of just the seasonal Cedar from Dec to Feb, I'm now on allergy medication through the summer. Most other parts of Texas aren't anywhere near this bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin