Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2009, 12:42 PM

4 posts, read 24,649 times

Advertisements

I'm in the process of building a new Toll Brothers home in Lakeway and am alarmed to find a number of complaints online about Toll Brothers. If you live in the neighborhood would you share specific problems that have occured to date? Advice on what to be on the lookout for in this neighborhood? Any info on a class action on Sebastians Run and Hensley Circle that I've heard rumors about?

Thanks -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 11:34 AM

475 posts, read 1,094,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbuyerin09 View Post
I'm in the process of building a new Toll Brothers home in Lakeway and am alarmed to find a number of complaints online about Toll Brothers. If you live in the neighborhood would you share specific problems that have occured to date? Advice on what to be on the lookout for in this neighborhood? Any info on a class action on Sebastians Run and Hensley Circle that I've heard rumors about?

Thanks -
I can't answer specific questions about Toll Brothers or that development, but you will find complaints from someone for just about every builder in the country, and the bigger the builder, the more likely there will be some complaints. In my reading of complaints of many builders, much of the comment is valid and right on the mark, but some of it is also overblown or more of a vent by an individual. In general, home builders will try to work with you, but they are looking to make the most money. In Texas, consumer protections for you and I are for the most part meaningless as the state sold consumers out a while ago. The contract and your relationship to the salesperson and builder is most important to ensure a smooth process.

From what I understand, Toll Bros. is a luxury production builder which means they are premium priced, but not quite the quality and price level of a custom builder. Still, this also means that they subcontract all the work and even a good superintendent (aka builder) will not find every little mistake and resolve it if he (or she) is building 6+ homes at once.

The best thing to do is the use your own inspector to inspect the house at different stages of the build, but especially at foundation, framing and final before close. That will hopefully minimize any issues with the house.

Any issues with your contract (e.g. earnest money, arbitration) is another story and a good Realtor or Attorney would have been helpful before signing any contract.

Keep an eye on the work and hopefully you will be fine.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:16 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,066,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbuyerin09 View Post

Thanks -
If you know what you're doing as a buyer, and are being properly advised, and have an inspector lined up for phase inspections, I'd just carry on and you'll be just fine.

If you don't know what you're doing, don't know about the construction process and don't have proper expectations, you're in for a lot of disappointment.

Your best action plan is to make sure you are educated about the process, know what to expect, and have the right inspector and agent.

Steve

Old 04-10-2010, 04:17 PM

1 posts, read 9,850 times
From my own experience with many builders and from many of my friends. I would not mess around with Toll Brother builder at all. Go out to Alta Vista in Lake way and asks those home owners there and you will know what I mean. That is all I can say. Do your home work before it is late.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:38 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,566,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmvn30 View Post
From my own experience with many builders and from many of my friends. I would not mess around with Toll Brother builder at all. Go out to Alta Vista in Lake way and asks those home owners there and you will know what I mean. That is all I can say. Do your home work before it is late.
Since this thread is over a year old, I would imagine the OP now knows the score. Would be nice to get an update, I suppose.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:02 PM

1 posts, read 9,640 times
i am interested in buying a house built by toll brothers on valleyview drive, grafton,MA. But heard many complaints about bad construction quality. any truth about it.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:50 AM

4 posts, read 24,649 times
I have lived in Alta Vista for 3 years, first in a condo by Toll, now in a home built by a different builder. Toll built most, but not all of Alta Vista. Several homesites were built by Gehan and others have custom builders. Never had problems with the condo by Toll. There are many unique homes with walk-out basements that have been customized, so I don't agree with the cookie cutter comment. As for finding problems with Toll, look around and you'll find it about any builder. All builders have complaints. It's a great neighborhood with a very social community and it's very family oriented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: