Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 09:09 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,066,308 times

Advertisements

I know most people on this forum are newcomers moving here from places where the economy is much worse but I am afraid that March is going to be a terrible month for layoff announcements here in Austin.

Does no one else sense this?

Austin has a high number of manufacturers (high tech and traditional) and orders in all sectors are down, catastrophically down, down to levels never before seen. And with oil at $40 a barrel, green energy alternatives can't get funding and traditional energy companies are hurting too. Many big employers have already done wage cuts and involuntary vacations, layoffs are next.

I am afraid that the other shoe is dropping this month.

Please tell me, I am wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 09:16 AM

3,787 posts, read 6,984,573 times
Who is announcing lay-offs?

Old 03-07-2009, 09:19 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,252,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
I know most people on this forum are newcomers moving here from places where the economy is much worse but I am afraid that March is going to be a terrible month for layoff announcements here in Austin.

Does no one else sense this?

Austin has a high number of manufacturers (high tech and traditional) and orders in all sectors are down, catastrophically down, down to levels never before seen. And with oil at $40 a barrel, green energy alternatives can't get funding and traditional energy companies are hurting too. Many big employers have already done wage cuts and involuntary vacations, layoffs are next.

I am afraid that the other shoe is dropping this month.

Please tell me, I am wrong.
I think its going to get so bad the that USA will fictionalize in a few years. I think Texas will become the Republic of texas again. Austin will fold and all jobs will be headed for Houston. Arizona and Newmexico Nevada Washington and Oregon will become its own nation. No one will want to live in the midwest, not sure what will happen to it. The south will nationalize. the North East, I suppose could make it but it might become part of China. I think the End of the USA as we know it is at hand. Thank you President Bush.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:23 AM

3,787 posts, read 6,984,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
I think its going to get so bad the that USA will fictionalize in a few years. I think Texas will become the Republic of texas again. Austin will fold and all jobs will be headed for Houston. Arizona and Newmexico Nevada Washington and Oregon will become its own nation. No one will want to live in the midwest, not sure what will happen to it. The south will nationalize. the North East, I suppose could make it but it might become part of China. I think the End of the USA as we know it is at hand. Thank you President Bush.

But what I want to know is will housing prices go down? Oh, and I'm dense...what does fictionalize mean?

Old 03-07-2009, 09:32 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,066,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
But what I want to know is will housing prices go down? Oh, and I'm dense...what does fictionalize mean?
The under $300K and under $250K markets will stay strong. It is the mid-high end (400-800K) that will see price drops.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:35 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,301,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
The under $300K and under $250K markets will stay strong. It is the mid-high end (400-800K) that will see price drops.
That's already happening and has been for a while.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:36 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,252,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
you know I hit the ol spell check, and it changed. I meant Fractionalize. Sorry, or split up

Old 03-07-2009, 09:42 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,004,297 times
factionalise, as in become multiple factions. american spelling with a "z"

Old 03-07-2009, 11:17 AM

8,000 posts, read 10,380,366 times
First off, this is not all President Bush's fault. He didn't help the cause, that's for sure, but there are plenty of Democrats (including Clinton) who encouraged the bad loans. Also, Obama is set to approve a spending bill that contains 8,500 (yes, you read that right) earmarks. So much for his campaign promise of vetoing any bill loaded with pork. Frankly, I think everyone in Washington, Republican and Democrat, are responsible for this mess, and making it worse.

But on to the question at hand. I think Austin will definitely see a huge number of layoffs, but I don't necessarily think it will be in the next month or two. Even smaller, local companies, like the one my husband works for, are at the breaking point. They have done everything to prevent layoffs, including pay cuts, getting rid of 401K benefits, etc. And executive staff has also all taken even more paycuts voluntary. If customers don't start placing more orders soon, they won't have a choice but to let people go. And seeing that their customers (all businesses) don't have any money either, the chance of them doing that is pretty much slim to none. It's scary.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:30 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,301,933 times
The other problem for the small businesses is, even if they have work, getting paid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin