Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 08:24 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore07 View Post
There's a reason why governments are putting "Nanny State" laws into effect. Too many adults are behaving like brats nowadays. If that weren't the case, there would be little support (or excuse) for such laws.

Years ago these types of laws would have been laughable.
I disagree on cause and effect here. I think the "Nanny State" laws (pushed in by a few) have caused the problem of people behaving like the children they're treated like, and have come to expect to be. In other words, the Nanny State exempts people from the responsibility of being adults and making reasonable decisions, and thus creates the problem. (And, of course, makes jobs for legislators and encourages people who want to make the rules for everyone else.)

Old 03-11-2009, 08:42 PM

804 posts, read 1,964,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I disagree on cause and effect here. I think the "Nanny State" laws (pushed in by a few) have caused the problem of people behaving like the children they're treated like, and have come to expect to be. In other words, the Nanny State exempts people from the responsibility of being adults and making reasonable decisions, and thus creates the problem. (And, of course, makes jobs for legislators and encourages people who want to make the rules for everyone else.)
If there was no correlation between cell phone use and traffic accidents, exactly how would these laws ever get passed? It would be hard to justify Besides there are enough people around who disregard these laws or behave irresponsibly long before they're passed.

Cell Phones - A Growing Road Hazard | Insurance.com

Old 03-11-2009, 09:45 PM

804 posts, read 1,964,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Are you suggesting that adults always behave and make responsible decisions, and respect the safety of others around them? You must be living in a wonderful place, is this within city limits? Don't post your location, or tons of Californians will invade you

From everything that's in the news, it doesn't appear that we're surrounded by adults making reasonable decisions. But we've digressed from the OP's message. A little ride without talking never killed anyone My family used to take long drives in the country and imagine, there were no cell phones back then.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:53 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
I'm not talking about cell phones in particular, except as an example. And you're using current examples of behavior that I'm saying were caused by a steadily growing attitude of "We're not responsible for our behavior, and the government should be our Mommy."

Of course, if you have a strong desire to be someone's Mommy in that you want to dictate their decisions based on your own preferences, then, yes, you wouldn't see a problem with that.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:05 AM

739 posts, read 3,057,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTexan View Post
The sooner the Texas legislature passes a law against Californians moving here and trying to make it just like California (i.e. a worthless state), the better!!
Geez.... get over it.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:08 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore07 View Post
Are you suggesting that adults always behave and make responsible decisions, and respect the safety of others around them? You must be living in a wonderful place, is this within city limits? Don't post your location, or tons of Californians will invade you

From everything that's in the news, it doesn't appear that we're surrounded by adults making reasonable decisions. But we've digressed from the OP's message. A little ride without talking never killed anyone My family used to take long drives in the country and imagine, there were no cell phones back then.
We already have laws in place for reckless and dangerous driving. Targeting cell phones (and not radios, eating, ipods, kids, makeup, newspapers, laptops- yes, i've seen them being used in traffic) is silly. Let's have the police enforce the rules that we already have.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:50 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,124,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaxs View Post
Geez.... get over it.
I've never understood why people are so against Californians moving here. Is it really any different from people in Austin moving to the suburbs? Why should people be forced to stay in one place?

Old 03-12-2009, 10:53 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,926,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodinvilleguy View Post
I've never understood why people are so against Californians moving here. Is it really any different from people in Austin moving to the suburbs? Why should people be forced to stay in one place?
I don't think that's the general sentiment - most of the people on city data have been friendly and helpful towards transplants (from anywhere). But there are always a few.....

Old 03-12-2009, 11:03 AM

739 posts, read 3,057,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodinvilleguy View Post
Because some, not all, but definitely some California transplants are....I'm trying to think about forum okay language, but jack asses. Some of us, like me, I hope, are not. But it gets rather annoying to have us all stereotyped the same way. Like it must be for Texans who Californians think are all rednecks (not true).

It gets tiring having to put up with the people in Texas who don't like me because I am from California and putting up with the idiots in California who can't understand why I would move to a bass akward state like Texas (which again, it isn't and I love it here).

Old 03-12-2009, 04:46 PM

21 posts, read 65,809 times
As someone who currently lives in California (San Diego) I am kind of indifferent to the cell phone law - I don't use my phone that much, and if necessary, I now have an ear piece. I still see many people here talking on their phones anyway.

I agree with the posts about all of the other unsafe things we do in vehicles - a little consistency would be nice - I think phones just make an easy target because most people have been annoyed at one time or another by someone yacking on a phone at a time when it is not appropriate. To be clear, while I am from California, I am not generally in favor of laws restricting personal choices of safety (helmets, seat belts, phones, beach closures due to high surf) accept as they apply to children (although I think child helmet laws for bicycles are excessive).

That being said, I am considering moving to the Austin area (pending job interview results) and I certainly do not feel like I would be less safe in Austin with people talking on their phones while driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin