Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 05:59 PM

804 posts, read 1,964,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I'm not talking about cell phones in particular, except as an example. And you're using current examples of behavior that I'm saying were caused by a steadily growing attitude of "We're not responsible for our behavior, and the government should be our Mommy."

Of course, if you have a strong desire to be someone's Mommy in that you want to dictate their decisions based on your own preferences, then, yes, you wouldn't see a problem with that.
Let's all put the tin foil hats away Please explain which "nanny state" law encourages rear ending and weaving in traffic while using a cell phone? And who is responsible for the driver who smashed into me at a red light while talking on the phone? (Hint: Ask an insurance agent or police officer)

Last edited by nomore07; 03-12-2009 at 06:31 PM..

Old 03-12-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaxs View Post
Because some, not all, but definitely some California transplants are....I'm trying to think about forum okay language, but jack asses. Some of us, like me, I hope, are not. But it gets rather annoying to have us all stereotyped the same way. Like it must be for Texans who Californians think are all rednecks (not true).

It gets tiring having to put up with the people in Texas who don't like me because I am from California and putting up with the idiots in California who can't understand why I would move to a bass akward state like Texas (which again, it isn't and I love it here).
Funny but true. I'm neither native Texan nor Californian, so I sit back, drink my tea and watch the irony. All of the whining about Californians is more annoying than the actual Californians

Besides, there are a growing number of Dallas transplants here whose attitudes and behaviors are worse than those of any Californian I've ever met

Last edited by nomore07; 03-12-2009 at 06:30 PM..

Old 03-12-2009, 06:38 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
The question is, where are those Dallas transplants from originally?

As shaxs can attest, I have no problem at all with Californians (or anyone else) who moves here and loves the place, or at least doesn't tell us all about how much better it was wherever they came from and how we should make over Texas to be just like there.

I have problems with people from ANYWHERE that move to ANYPLACE and DO tell the locals how much better it was where they came from and how their new home should be made over to be just like their old home.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:02 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,316,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore07 View Post
Let's all put the tin foil hats away Please explain which "nanny state" law encourages rear ending and weaving in traffic while using a cell phone? And who is responsible for the driver who smashed into me at a red light while talking on the phone? (Hint: Ask an insurance agent or police officer)
Why does government intrusion into a person's private life imply a 'tin foil hat'? We have good laws on the books, let's enforce them.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:41 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
More laws! More laws! Please protect us! It's SCARY out there!

Old 03-12-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
More laws! More laws! Please protect us! It's SCARY out there!
Phones! More phones! We need more accidents!

Old 03-13-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore07 View Post
Phones! More phones! We need more accidents!
I long for the day when Big Brother decides that driving around kids is dangerous and prevents me from doing it.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:22 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,383,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I long for the day when Big Brother decides that driving around kids is dangerous and prevents me from doing it.
That will probably not happen. However, many children will probably die on Austin roads as a direct result of cell phone use in cars.
Sure, they will also die because the driver is distracted by other legal things, too or maybe drivers are just stupid - can't legislate that. I don't see a problem with attempting to make roads safer in any small way that might help. Everything deserves an individual cost/benefit analysis and I just don't see how cell phones are worth it.
Regardless of the law - I agree with the title of this thread - just hang up and drive because you're driving worse if you don't.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
That will probably not happen. However, many children will probably die on Austin roads as a direct result of cell phone use in cars.
Sure, they will also die because the driver is distracted by other legal things, too or maybe drivers are just stupid - can't legislate that. I don't see a problem with attempting to make roads safer in any small way that might help. Everything deserves an individual cost/benefit analysis and I just don't see how cell phones are worth it.
Regardless of the law - I agree with the title of this thread - just hang up and drive because you're driving worse if you don't.
Well, what about those kids who might die if someone is eating a sandwich? Are their lives less important? Let's ban eating while driving. And music. And of course, no talking. I mean, it's for the children.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:57 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,383,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Well, what about those kids who might die if someone is eating a sandwich? Are their lives less important? Let's ban eating while driving. And music. And of course, no talking. I mean, it's for the children.
I'm only talking about cell phones.
I addressed the children who will die by sandwich eating, talking, and such. It all happens - why not chip away at what is killing people even if the death can't be stopped completely?
Anyway, I will back away from this because I am not interested in having a political debate and I'm not excited about the "nanny state" and all of that, either - I just think that cell phone use while driving is irresponsible. I guess I would suggest that people not eat sandwiches while driving as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin