Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 04:34 AM

1 posts, read 2,325 times

Advertisements

Hi, I live in the Piney Woods Region of Texas, in a small conservative town called Conroe. My wife and I love Austin and its "weirdness." We are Elementary teachers and were looking at some of the different school districts in Region 13.

Here are the schools we're interested in:

Austin ISD

Round Rock ISD

Del Valle ISD

Lake Travis ISD

Bastrop ISD:

We would like to buy a house and live in Austin, but I am used to big treed lots/land, so that is why I am considering Bastrop. Is this town conservative or are they as open as Austin?

Also, Austin ISD seems to have a high turnover rate. Is it a problematic school district?

Thanks for your help,
Joseph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 12:46 PM

102 posts, read 384,862 times
Lived in Bastrop Co for 6-7 years, but no kids.. the Austin vibe "leaks" out and many iconoclasts (including myself for a while) seek refuge there.

It's a nice extension, ecozonologically speaking, of East TX. My dad is from the Neches river valley and I know it well. No dogwoods in TX, but lots of pines.

Not sure what the culture is up to these days.
Defer to people who are there.

Edge

Old 10-07-2007, 07:16 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
I think Bastrop should be fine, and it will feel similar to Conroe as far as the trees/topography are concerned. I live in Hutto, but go to or through Bastrop quite a bit. The schools aren't the BEST in the area, but are good/acceptable. I think in some cases, better than some AISD schools. My little sister lived in Conroe for a while when she was going to college.

Old 10-27-2007, 07:18 PM

27 posts, read 107,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I think Bastrop should be fine, and it will feel similar to Conroe as far as the trees/topography are concerned. I live in Hutto, but go to or through Bastrop quite a bit. The schools aren't the BEST in the area, but are good/acceptable. I think in some cases, better than some AISD schools. My little sister lived in Conroe for a while when she was going to college.
Bastrop ISD surpasses most Austin ISD schools.(not all of course)

Old 10-27-2007, 08:23 PM

314 posts, read 1,230,058 times
Default Come visit

Bastrop is starting to grow by leaps and bounds. There are some great areas. You would also be a very short drive from many school districts. Since you are so close, I would suggest visiting. You can get alot of house in Bastrop for the money. Pricing is closer to the pricing of homes in Conroe.

You do have some of the "East" of Austin stigma, but I think that is changing as more and more Houston retirees are moving to Bastrop. It is also becoming a big young family area.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:52 AM

I think the "East of Austin" stigma thing should forever be delegated to the trash heap of history! Things have changed and it's very nearly irrelevent, except in topography terms.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:01 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,432,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I think the "East of Austin" stigma thing should forever be delegated to the trash heap of history! Things have changed and it's very nearly irrelevent, except in topography terms.
Okay, so maybe you should go walk in French Place late at night by yourself. That area is still drug/crime infested. I would never live East. I think that Mueller people will be disappointed when they see what feeds into their schools, shops, etc. Yuck, I'd never buy East of 35.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:31 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,973,903 times
I can take you for a drive and show you some less than desirable neighborhoods West of IH-35 as well as some North and South of the River.

I also agree that the East Austin stigma should be considered to be horse crap. I have a number of friends in East Austin and they have cool homes, nice neighbors and an easy commute downtown. East Austin has a great deal of history and does not deserve the stigma that some folks apply to it.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:35 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
I think you are confusing East Austin with "east of I35". There's plenty of nice neighborhoods and cities east of I35.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:36 AM

HappyTexan is right. East of 35 is a huge area. I've also been to East Austin, several times. Like car957 says. I could find you some places west of 35 that are less than desirable as well. I lived that personally in Denver. I lived in a place that was only slightly being gentrified, and was historically the wrong side of town. At the time we left, almost every other home there was being flipped, new business had come to town, and the Stapleton development improved the area a lot. Home prices were also increasing. It could happen with Meuller too. I've gone to businesses in East Austin and never had a problem. I just can't agree that West of 35 is a utopian bubble with no problems and total perfection, no matter how much money is there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin