Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 12:36 AM

979 posts, read 2,955,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
Are you "scongress1234", an old poster who used to post here? You sure sound like him from the way you post.
Yes, it is definitely him. He even has been attaching the crazy pictures to some of his posts like scongress1234
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 11:20 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,897,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
Are you "scongress1234", an old poster who used to post here? You sure sound like him from the way you post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by car957 View Post
Good lord, I hope not. That troll was a dweeb.
Well, I for one say welcome back! I don't have to agree with someone's opinions to read their offerings or engage in debate. Dissent is good, I say, even if it's often uneven and/or galvanizing And I can say that personally, he's reached out in many friendly ways...he seems to know when he's gone too far. I'll take his posts ANY day over a "Certain Austin Native" who always alienates, disrespects and stereotypes anyone who either disagrees with him or is from another state. That guy is the consummate "Anti-Austinite".

Now THAT is a troll.

Oh, and btw, when we moved here, our nest egg consisted of enough money to get into an apartment, buy a few humble furnishings and pay for our car tag. Not exactly "movin' on up". We've only achieved progress here by working hard and paying attention. Just like most people.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:10 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,370,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Well, I for one say welcome back! I don't have to agree with someone's opinions to read their offerings or engage in debate. Dissent is good, I say, even if it's often uneven and/or galvanizing And I can say that personally, he's reached out in many friendly ways...he seems to know when he's gone too far. I'll take his posts ANY day over a "Certain Austin Native" who always alienates, disrespects and stereotypes anyone who either disagrees with him or is from another state. That guy is the consummate "Anti-Austinite".
Now THAT is a troll.

Oh, and btw, when we moved here, our nest egg consisted of enough money to get into an apartment, buy a few humble furnishings and pay for our car tag. Not exactly "movin' on up". We've only achieved progress here by working hard and paying attention. Just like most people.
I agree 100%! (Too soon to rep you again, my friend!)

Last edited by TexasGirl@Heart; 03-15-2009 at 03:29 PM..

Old 03-17-2009, 12:13 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
...perhaps Austin could be THE energy center in Texas if energy goes completely green....
I've heard Houston's already doing it.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:06 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,036,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
I've heard Houston's already doing it.
They have little choice....either they become a dinosaur(no pun intended (re the fossil fuel thing), or they thrive.....they SHOULD have been doing it
since the Carter Malaise speech in '79, but they got cozy with the car manufacturers and put an end to that..........I still think Austin, with its tech and creativity reputation, COULD beat them to it, and become the energy center of Texas if they move quick......that(Green) would de facto become Austin's largest economic sector........I think it would be a great move........

BTW, it would be a good chance to re-create Austin as a 21st century model city, if they could get people out of their cars and fast food/riverside dr. chicken steak crap eateries, and onto rapid transit.....
it could happen.......

Old 03-17-2009, 04:16 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,897,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
They have little choice....either they become a dinosaur(no pun intended (re the fossil fuel thing), or they thrive.....they SHOULD have been doing it
since the Carter Malaise speech in '79, but they got cozy with the car manufacturers and put an end to that..........I still think Austin, with its tech and creativity reputation, COULD beat them to it, and become the energy center of Texas if they move quick......that(Green) would de facto become Austin's largest economic sector........I think it would be a great move........

BTW, it would be a good chance to re-create Austin as a 21st century model city, if they could get people out of their cars and fast food/riverside dr. chicken steak crap eateries, and onto rapid transit.....
it could happen.......
The next couple of elections (governor and mayor) will have a big influence on whether or not these things happen in Austin.

But in the meantime, stop trying to change Austin! Everything here was perfect before all of the greedy, rude people from California, Georgia, Ohio and Illinois started coming here in droves.

This is Texas, right? Not the United States. We hate public transportation, love our cars and fast-food chicken-steak crap eateries on Riverside. This is a distinctly "Austin thing" didn't you know? Stop trying to steal the city's soul.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
The next couple of elections (governor and mayor) will have a big influence on whether or not these things happen in Austin.

But in the meantime, stop trying to change Austin! Everything here was perfect before all of the greedy, rude people from California, Georgia, Ohio and Illinois started coming here in droves.

This is Texas, right? Not the United States. We hate public transportation, love our cars and fast-food chicken-steak crap eateries on Riverside. This is a distinctly "Austin thing" didn't you know? Stop trying to steal the city's soul.

Twange is being facecious!........I have read many of his posts, and he really means that he HOPES that Austin can start walking, eating right,
using rapid trans, and become the green city it can and should be.....the intelligence is very much there.......but, as George Clinton says,
"free your mind and your @ss will follow"!.......think right, and the body will stop lusting after Hut's superburgers and Chicken Fried Steak.....

MMMMMMM, sure does taste awful good though, with a good ole swallow of Shiners.....LOL!.....See, I can be silly and facecious as well!

Hello Twange!

Old 03-19-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
I do agree, partially, with the last sentence. Texas' economy is still relatively good, so I really think Austin will come out of this thing in one piece. In fact, I predict eventual continued growth in Central Texas even if many jobs are not necessarily high-tech-related. There may a lull right now, but it doesn't always mean sharp decline.

Again, no doubt about Austin's long term growth vector.......I DO think that a "Green Energy" sector will develop in Austin soon, and it may become the largest sector, eclipsing general tech........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: