Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 05:24 PM

257 posts, read 946,136 times

Advertisements

I am flying in to Austin on April 8th for a big interview (fingers crossed) and plan on looking at houses with a realtor while there. With three kids and a love for master-planned communities, I was certain Steiner Ranch was it. But beings my job would be downtown, all the talk about traffic is scaring me.

My realtor also suggested the Lake Travis area, because it also has nice houses in my price range ($300-375k for 3+ bedroom) and a good school district. How is the commute to downtown from this area? Are the schools really good? I have liked the listings I have seeen on-line because the houses all seem to look different, something you don't get in a master-planned community so much. Which neighborhoods in the Lake Travis area are the best for my price range?

He also mentioned Dripping Springs, but my husband is in the Tech field and will likely find a job on the north side, so that won't work.

Thanks for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2007, 05:37 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,279,897 times
Lake Travis??? I find it odd your realtor would suggest that given your work situation....

It's really not any closer in to downtown than Steiner Ranch - Steiner Ranch basically is across the street from Lake Travis. I'd say you'd have the same, or longer commute, depending on what part of the Lake Travis area you're in. One way you'd be going past Steiner and down the 620 to 2222 to downtown; the other direction would be 620 to 71 and around....unless I am missing the obvious??????????

The good news is the Lake Travis school district is supposed to be very good...

I would suggest that if you have to get downtown and your husband's working on northside, you look in the south parts of Cedar Park or west Round Rock. In that price range you can get something pretty large. You can also afford River Place, which is 10 minutes closer in than Steiner. There's also the Balcones area.

I'd say Dripping Springs would be a nasty commute up north!!! But Circle C might not be as bad. You could definitely afford something nice there. It certainly wouldn't be any worse commute than Lake Travis!

Old 03-23-2007, 06:40 PM

I think he suggested the Lake Travis area because I was talking about top schools being my priority, which it still is. So he brought up Steiner Ranch and Lake Travis because of the schools I think. I am willing to drive extra to have my children get access to good schools. So are you saying Lake Travis areas would be a worse commute, or just a similar commute than Steiner?

Old 03-23-2007, 07:37 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,279,897 times
It would kind of depend where exactly in the Lake Travis area you're looking, I'd say in almost every case your husband for sure would have a worse commute than in Steiner. The only place you would *maybe* have a shorter commute would be if you lived much farther down the 620 toward Lakeway and the 71, so that you could come up to downtown from that direction instead of across 620 and down the 2222. I'm still not sure it would be a great commute. At best, I'd guess it would be about the same to downtown as Steiner.

I'd say for the combination of where you AND your husband will be working, staying in NW Austin (Steiner, River Place, maybe Grandview Hills) is your best bet. The schools in this area are excellent, so you're not really giving up on that front, either. You could go farther east, as I said, into the Balcones area as well which is more toward the 183 and downtown. Possibly Great Hills also.

Good luck with the search, and with your interview, too!

Old 03-23-2007, 09:14 PM

361 posts, read 1,163,800 times
Take a look at the LakePointe neighborhood in Lake Travis ISD. It's in your price range, very good schools, and your commute downtown would be better than if you were in Steiner. You would take 71 a couple of miles to SW Parkway, then take that to Mopac. As previously mentioned, most other parts of Lake Travis ISD would not be closer to downtown.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:33 AM

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Old 03-27-2007, 10:53 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masalamomma View Post
My realtor also suggested the Lake Travis area, because it also has nice houses in my price range ($300-375k for 3+ bedroom) and a good school district. How is the commute to downtown from this area? Are the schools really good? I have liked the listings I have seeen on-line because the houses all seem to look different, something you don't get in a master-planned community so much. Which neighborhoods in the Lake Travis area are the best for my price range?

He also mentioned Dripping Springs, but my husband is in the Tech field and will likely find a job on the north side, so that won't work.

Thanks for all your help!
Round rock schools are pretty good and some parts of north austin are actually in the RR school district. Great hills will be your best bet.

300-375K should get you around 3000 sq feet. In westlake (the best schools) it seems like prices are $200+/sq ft

Old 03-28-2007, 01:12 AM

I have heard alot about Steiner Ranch and River Place, but nothing about this Grandview Hills. What is it like? Is it a popular development, meaning, is it a good investment?

Old 03-28-2007, 06:31 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masalamomma View Post
I have heard alot about Steiner Ranch and River Place, but nothing about this Grandview Hills. What is it like? Is it a popular development, meaning, is it a good investment?
Great Hills, it is area code 78759. It is bordered on the east by 183, on the south by 360 and on the west by yaupon. The north border is not quite as concrete, but if you take a ruler from the intersection of duval and 183 and draw a line straight west, that is kind of the northmost border.

Not all of great hills is in the RR school district and some of the area north of it is older homes yet is in the RR school district. If you drive on rain creek parkway you will get a feel for great hills. If you drive down yaupon between dk ranch road and spicewood springs rd on the south that is a newer development.

The heart of great hills is by the great hills country club which you can see on google maps.

It is not a masterplanned community like steiner, but the houses are modern, larger and some ares are in the RR school district. Most of the people I know live in steiner because it is/was affordable, and despite the bad location.

Great hills is a much better location because there is easy access to 360, mopac and 183.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:06 AM

Thanks, but I was interested in hearing about Grandview Hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin