Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 04:16 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
I agree with Steve's opinion that buying a home in a "new neighborhood" with new homes competing (& adjacent new neighborhoods competing) will see far less appreciation (or more depreciation if the economy tanks) than established neighborhoods (particularly established neighborhoods in a "good" location or with superior schools).

And there are dozens of neighborhoods that are bounded by Mopac (on the east) / 183 (on the northeast) / 620 (on the northwest, west & southwest) that have seen significant increases in value over the last 4 years. Most are "built out" & have a perceived good location AND superior Schools:

Texas School Performance Maps

(look at the schools in the area bounded by these highways)

No argument regarding the neighborhoods that are not built out(I live in one and certainly do not expect significant appreciation any time soon, if ever--not why we bought the house).

My question would be, in those neighborhoods with the blue symbols, are those houses actually selling this year/month for significantly more than they did 4 years ago? My guess is one year ago(when we were looking), the 'inflated' prices in those neighborhoods drove us to look farther out and newer...BUT, given today's market, are those prices still realistic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 04:54 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
Quote:
My question would be, in those neighborhoods with the blue symbols, are those houses actually selling this year/month for significantly more than they did 4 years ago?
Yes, most mature neighborhoods in Austin are up considerably from 4 years ago. I don't have time at the moment to run some quick stats, but basically, almost anything that attends a good school in a built out neighborhood is well above 2005 prices. Even Steiner Ranch resales in the older sections are going to be above 2005 prices.

It's the newer sections and neighborhoods you have to be careful of, thus my wariness of Ranch at Brushy Creek vesus Canyon Creek.

Steve

Old 03-24-2009, 10:22 AM

7 posts, read 22,897 times
Thanks for the great responses regarding a newer versus older, more built out neighborhood. At this point, our plan is to stay in the house for the next 10-15 years...but of course, unforseen events could cause us to move earlier. The location/road access at the Ranch at Brushy Creek is more convenient for my husband's job (since he will be working near Anderson Mill/Palmer). Of course, the commute from Canyon Creek seems pretty doable and shouldn't be a major issue if it is really our best neighborhood bet (I'm thinking the Canyon Creek commute would be about 10 mins w/o traffic and 15 minutes w/traffic whereas RABC commute might be 5-10 minutes). If you have any additional thoughts on the traffic, feel of the neighborhood, amenities, etc., please let me know. It sounds like the schools are somewhat better in Canyon Creek. However, it seems like the school districts are still being modified as new developments come in (and our first child is only a couple months old so we definitely have time). Thanks in advance for your great thoughts on where you would pick and why (or if there is somewhere else with a simliar feel, lots of trees, parks, pools, etc. that you'd choose instead).

Old 03-24-2009, 11:00 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,571,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie3430 View Post
(and our first child is only a couple months old so we definitely have time). Thanks in advance for your great thoughts on where you would pick and why (or if there is somewhere else with a simliar feel, lots of trees, parks, pools, etc. that you'd choose instead).
It sounds like the Ranch at Brushy Creek is a good fit. While it might not be the best "value for the money" right now, you're buying into a good area to raise kids. The Brushy Creek Regional Trail would definitely be your hangout as your kids grow. Living near that trail is a good trade-off for not getting the best short term investment value in my opinion.

Brushy Creek Trail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin