Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 07:01 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,204,406 times

Advertisements

Hi all, is there anywhere in or around Austin that I can take my dog (preferably off-leash) swimming? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 08:19 PM

477 posts, read 1,574,446 times
I'm pretty sure they can go in Bull Creek. You can see it from 360 between 2222 and Spicewood, but I think you access it from the road that goes behind Sienna/Waterloo. Also, check this out for more info about Dog places Dog Parks - Austin - Tools (http://www.independencetitle.com/tools/Dog-Parks---Austin - broken link)

Old 03-21-2009, 10:05 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,879,730 times
Below the Zilker Pool dam.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:44 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,166,931 times
Dogs can, indeed, go swimming in Bull Creek, and below Barton Springs Pool.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:36 PM

Cool, thanks! Is below Barton Springs pool that area that looks really green & gross (on the right facing Barton Springs when you first walk in)? Or is there another area that I don't know about? I'll go check it out today.

I have to admit, I'm a little confused about the differences between Barton Springs pool, Barton Springs Creek, Zilker Park, etc...

Is Barton Springs pool part of Barton Springs Creek which is in Zilker Park?

Old 03-22-2009, 01:18 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,782,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
Cool, thanks! Is below Barton Springs pool that area that looks really green & gross (on the right facing Barton Springs when you first walk in)? Or is there another area that I don't know about? I'll go check it out today.
Yes, that's it -- you can see it from the fence. It goes north up to Ladybird lake, but most of the people seem to hang out fairly close to the fence with Barton Springs Pool.
Quote:
I have to admit, I'm a little confused about the differences between Barton Springs pool, Barton Springs Creek, Zilker Park, etc...

Is Barton Springs pool part of Barton Springs Creek which is in Zilker Park?
Here is my lame attempt at explaining it:

Barton Springs Pool is within Zilker Park. It is along and connected to the Creek, but the water comes from the springs which are in the area of the pool (it's dammed up on either end to keep the surface water of the creek out, and the spring water in). The surface water runs through some tunnels, and I think it comes out right at that gross/green part you describe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barton_Springs_Pool

Barton Creek (there is no Barton Springs Creek) and the surrounding greenbelt terminate in that same general area, with the creek connecting up Ladybird lake. You can enter the Barton Creek greenbelt from an entrance there at Zilker, and then follow it southwest against the flow of the creek. The trail is about 7 miles, and along the way there are Barton Creek swimming holes like Twin Falls and Sculpture falls. The closest entrance to twin falls is off S Mopac right across from the 360 intersection (you'll see a bunch of cars parked). This might help a bit more regarding the creek/springs:

Handbook of Texas Online - BARTON CREEK

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sushicircus/531675159/ (broken link) - pics of twin falls by Sushicircus on Flickr. It won't look anything like these pics until after the spring rains (assuming they are pretty decent), so you may want to wait to visit. It's been dry over this winter (but that is not uncommon).

Bull Creek, BTW, is a completely different area. It's also a creek with a greenbelt which flows from the hills NW down to Lake Austin where it terminates near the former Scout Island (now the Courtyard subdivision). The dog park is located off Lakewood drive east of 360. The dog park is adjacent to some huge boulders and a somewhat wider area as a swimming hole (humans & dogs, but mostly dogs).

Here's another dog/people swimming area for you. Off-leash, lots of water and kept at a constant level:

Park Profile: Red Bud Isle

Last edited by atxcio; 03-22-2009 at 01:33 PM..

Old 03-22-2009, 06:19 PM

awesome... thanks so much! We tried going to Barton Springs, but there was this massive line to get in, so we went to Bull Creek instead. It was AWESOME! We had so much fun! It's so beautiful and there are tons of dogs, and our dog had a blast swimming. I highly recommend it. I definitely want to check out Red Bud Isle too.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:06 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,449,473 times
readymade, all kinds of pets go swimming in Bull Creek. Last time I went hiking there, we saw a family with a boa constrictor!

Old 03-23-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastea View Post
readymade, all kinds of pets go swimming in Bull Creek. Last time I went hiking there, we saw a family with a boa constrictor!
HAH! It's a good thing that didn't happen yesterday... my dog would make a tasty little snack for a boa!

Old 03-23-2009, 03:43 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,327,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
HAH! It's a good thing that didn't happen yesterday... my dog would make a tasty little snack for a boa!
What kind of dog do you have?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin