Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 10:23 PM

42 posts, read 158,109 times

Advertisements

Mangia's Lake Austin Blvd. location is good...I didn't even know they had a RR location...I mean don't get me wrong it's no Giordano's but it was good pizza and Conan's is good too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 10:13 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,289,450 times
Chicago deep dish pizza in general is just kind of bland and weird. I think the main pull of it is tradition instead of taste, as small towns throughout the country have "New York Style" pizzerias and even in large cities like Austin there are really not many Chicago options.

I was recently in Chicago, and it seems like New York style is actually eclipsing Chicago style there. I went to this place called Lou Malnati's and was just not impressed. Too much breadiness and not enough cheese, sauce and spice. Anyway, good luck in your search.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:09 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
Chicago deep dish pizza in general is just kind of bland and weird. I think the main pull of it is tradition instead of taste, as small towns throughout the country have "New York Style" pizzerias and even in large cities like Austin there are really not many Chicago options.

I was recently in Chicago, and it seems like New York style is actually eclipsing Chicago style there. I went to this place called Lou Malnati's and was just not impressed. Too much breadiness and not enough cheese, sauce and spice. Anyway, good luck in your search.
My favorite chicago style pizza is Nancy's (in chicago). It is so thick and stuffed that you can only eat one slice. You almost choke on the cheese.

Mangia isnt actually that bad. But mostly I go there for their fries.

Old 09-05-2007, 02:03 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,280,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post

If there's too much bread and not enough sauce or spice then it's just not authentic. Really good deep dish is wonderful - not bland and weird at all, IMO. Also, while Chicago is primarily associated with deep dish, there are some very good thin crust places all over the city. They aren't pie shaped pieces like you get in NY. They are cut grid style with not a huge end piece of crust. personally I like that style even better than deep dish. But it could be that my dad owned a pizza restaurant for 20 years in Chicago and that's the style he cooked

As a native Chicagoan, Lou Malnati's OR Uno's aren't the places you go for really good deep dish. Those are just really well marketed places, not places that have good pizza. My Pie in Lincoln Park - THAT is really good deep dish pizza.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:34 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,616,925 times
Only chi-town pizza in Austin that I knew of that really was that style pizza was Bud & Walts.

There pizza is so damn good! They were cut in small squares and the paste sauce they used was sweet and man,,, its making me hungry.

They were located in Cedar Park, but for some odd reason they Poof'd. They competed w/ Pizza Hut, Dominoes and PapaJohns and none of the 3 come close.

The only other real style aka NEW YORK pizza I had was Sacones and it was just OK good.

I want Bud and Walts pizza!!

Bud & Walt's Square Cut Pizza

Old 09-06-2007, 12:12 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,719,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi927 View Post
My Pie in Lincoln Park - THAT is really good deep dish pizza.
My Pie pizzas have no bottom crust!! Or at least they didn't the two times I went there, which dissapointed me.

I like my pizza doughy, so I prefer the deep dish. Lou Malnatis can be bland, and they are not consistent when they make it. I've had some with a lot of sauce and some with hardly any at all. My favorite is Genos East. Unfortunately, the only one I know of that still exists is in Arlington Heights. Just don't ask for the vegetable pizza! You will get green beans on it!

Nancys is gooey! Too much cheese for me!

I also enjoy the NYC style slices having eaten them in Brooklyn and Manhattan on more than one occasion. I can't seem to find anything like it in Chicago, but if someone does pizza right in Austin, I'll be happy.

Old 09-06-2007, 02:01 PM

225 posts, read 851,303 times
I have not heard of Bud & Walts, looks yummy, thanks for the tip

Old 09-06-2007, 02:55 PM

118 posts, read 561,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi927 View Post
If there's too much bread and not enough sauce or spice then it's just not authentic. Really good deep dish is wonderful - not bland and weird at all, IMO. Also, while Chicago is primarily associated with deep dish, there are some very good thin crust places all over the city. They aren't pie shaped pieces like you get in NY. They are cut grid style with not a huge end piece of crust.
mmmm!! That sounds like the pizza I used to get at Noble Roman's when I lived in the midwest. Except it was a thick crust... That was the BEST and I still miss their breadsticks to this day. My bf gets tired of hearing me bring it up. I haven't found good pizza anywhere (NC, CA, and now TX) since I left Indiana. We found a place here in Georgetown with decent pizza, but I guess it's more New York style.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:23 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,280,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78613 View Post
Only chi-town pizza in Austin that I knew of that really was that style pizza was Bud & Walts.

There pizza is so damn good! They were cut in small squares and the paste sauce they used was sweet and man,,, its making me hungry.

They were located in Cedar Park, but for some odd reason they Poof'd. They competed w/ Pizza Hut, Dominoes and PapaJohns and none of the 3 come close.

The only other real style aka NEW YORK pizza I had was Sacones and it was just OK good.

I want Bud and Walts pizza!!

Bud & Walt's Square Cut Pizza
Wow, what a bummer. I live 10 minutes from Cedar Park. Would've loved to try that!

IT Chick - My Pie always had a bottom crust for the two years I lived down the street from it....how could it not have a bottom crust? wouldn't it then just be a bowl of sauce with cheese on top?

Old 09-06-2007, 03:51 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
I'd eat it that way...If they gave me a bib
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin