Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2009, 03:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,457 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody, My name is Corry and I am currently living in Abilene TX and I hate it. There is nothing good to look at, nothing to do, there are no jobs, and to be quite honest there is flat out nothing at all. I have been considering moving for a while but recently it has seemed like the best thing to do. I'm turning 18 in a month and I already have my GED. I might also be interested in going to a Jr. College for 2 years. I have been to Austin 2 times and when I went I loved it.

So what I'm asking is considering my age and education, would Austin be a good place to move to? It seems like things are buzzing down there but I just kind of want some input from some people that live there. One of my concerns is also trying to find a decent apartment at a decent price in a good area. I moved out at 16 and got robbed at gunpoint my first day in so I am obviously going to be a little concerned about crime ect.

I just want to completely start a new life with a new job.

Also, if anybody has any info on other places such as California please let me know about that as well.

Any info would be great :]

Thanks a bunch - Corry Jones
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 04:02 PM

648 posts, read 1,964,387 times
Alrighty, I'm putting on my mom hat. Is college out? What about bar tending school? How about becoming a plumber or electrician? Both professions that are needed and pay decent. Look for schools and a way to build your career....not necessarily a place to live.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:00 PM

4 posts, read 15,332 times
You know there is a very artsy feel about Austin that attracts most people, but Austin has a really high cost of living. aprtments are expensive unless u are in not so good side of town which can be at times dangerous. My cousin got mugged several times in plain day light. It is a very well educated community as well with UT being a top university in Texas. there is plenty of community colleges. Make a plan becasue traffic is awful too!! Its a diverse place and i love to visit but i wouldnt like to live there unless i could afford all it has to offer and was making bigger bucks for the high cost of living! they do have great tex mex and cheap eateries too though! Make aplan before you go is my advice.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:47 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,036,040 times
It might be a bad time for that California move, but at least that one might even out the population disparity per all the relos from Cal....I do congratulate you on the dubious honor of being the only Texan looking to move to California.......for what that's worth...

Old 03-30-2009, 07:25 PM

8 posts, read 17,512 times
Default You want to move to Austin

I wanted to move to Austin and found this forum to be very helpful. I am here in Austin. Even on Good Morning America and CNN said Austin had jobs. What they didn't tell you is that the jobs are paying $10 and $12 an hour. I was completely shocked....what have I done. I have a $12 an hour job and thank goodness I still have it during the banking meltdown and the economy downturn. This is a university town which means you will be competing for positions of people who have college degrees. The $10 and $12 an hour will not get you a nice place to live or even money to save but it is what it is. I am looking for a way out. Save money before you come, because I had to live off my savings for 2 months. I have only been here 6 months...oh I forgot to tell you...the allergies....they report the percentage of cedar, mold, ash...and yes you will get an allergy if you live here for 2 years....my sinus has been bothering me since I arrived. Good Luck!!!

Old 03-30-2009, 11:43 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,036,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcorvette View Post
I wanted to move to Austin and found this forum to be very helpful. I am here in Austin. Even on Good Morning America and CNN said Austin had jobs. What they didn't tell you is that the jobs are paying $10 and $12 an hour. I was completely shocked....what have I done. I have a $12 an hour job and thank goodness I still have it during the banking meltdown and the economy downturn. This is a university town which means you will be competing for positions of people who have college degrees. The $10 and $12 an hour will not get you a nice place to live or even money to save but it is what it is. I am looking for a way out. Save money before you come, because I had to live off my savings for 2 months. I have only been here 6 months...oh I forgot to tell you...the allergies....they report the percentage of cedar, mold, ash...and yes you will get an allergy if you live here for 2 years....my sinus has been bothering me since I arrived. Good Luck!!!
Austin was never a place people moved to to make big bucks..it's always been a sacrifice per almost every sector except possibly tech., even in good times......more demand than supply has always kept the local pay base low.......and that hasn't changed as things have slowed down.....actually, many people across the nation would be thrilled to have a steady 40 hour a week job....even at 12 an hour.......

I mean, at least you can survive on your own sharing rent with someone.......and have fun with free events and such......try doing that in Flint, Mich...
or, these days, pretty much anywhere in Oregon or Florida......

Last edited by inthecut; 03-31-2009 at 12:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: