Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 11:57 AM

2,185 posts, read 6,411,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Wow. Broad brush. I do most of the things you seem to find 'anal', live Central and have 3 pretty wonderful kids. We have our own version of perfect order and harmony. Yes, I do consider our world to be sophisticated, we drink our share of Pinot on the porch and have remodeled a time or two. Do the kids mess it up? Yes, they do. Do I love it? Yes, I do. Would I live in the suburbs and get a 'bonus room' and an extra garage space? No, I wouldn't.
I just find it rude how you constantly criticize the suburbs. I have friends in SW Austin and friends in Central Austin. Why can't you just keep your negative thoughts to yourself?

Old 04-10-2009, 12:21 PM

675 posts, read 1,897,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
I sincerely hope so, and if that's true, then I apologize. I could be wrong but I didn't think the poster was trying to be funny or irreverent or tongue-in-cheek. But, then, it's the end of the week and I'm tired & ready for the weekend of living my selfish childless lifestyle
Strange how you took my post and made it into a totally different topic. Who knows why people decide to have kids. I just know that those neighborhoods that once were suburbs, like Clarksville, with front porches and big yards crawling with children and neighbors going next door to borrow sugar a few decades ago, are now urban hipster environments. How did this occur? Why is it totally unappealing now for a family with 2 or more children? And no, the answer is not "more house". Although having a house that isn't falling apart around me is a factor. The reasons for me were afforability and the lack of other children; and the sense of elitism. And yes I was certainly trying to be funny, and to say its the most idiotic thing you've ever read on these boards is a bit much.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:24 PM

15,237 posts, read 35,431,654 times
Okay, everyone, take a step back from the keyboards and take a deep breath.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:46 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,014,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Honestly, I was a little disappointed to see the sign there the last coupe of days and was hoping that it wasn't being placed on the corner of slaughter and Mopac where the sign was. There is already so much development there and it seems like the green space is disappearing. I like the Alamo drafthouse, at least the original one (haven't been to the others - is it true the original closed down?) but at the cost of open space, I am not a big fan of it.
Not much choice to like it or not...the deal is done.....just have to learn to live with it, I guess.....sad that those choices are made with essentially zero input from the residents whose dollars are earmarked to be spent there....along with the cost of footing the bill for infrastructure improvements and extra traffic.......

Everything has a price...

Old 04-10-2009, 01:08 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,207,448 times
... right, and it was MY opinion that THEIR opinion was idiotic, heh . Whatever. They were trying to be funny, and it pushed my buttons. "Elitism" is being thrown around these days a lot, like it's the worst thing in the world. I guess I'd rather hang out with an elitist who drives a hybrid, eats organic food, and has no kids than someone who doesn't care about the planet, thinks global warming is made up, and feeds their spoiled/rude kids pepsi and candy bars for dinner. I'd take elitism over ignorance ANY day. And, of course, neither is ideal.

Personally, I would love to live in Central Austin but I want over 2000 sq ft & under $250K so that ain't gonna happen. I like certain suburbs and greatly dislike others. I don't think you can lump them all together.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:46 PM

3,202 posts, read 5,984,502 times
Quote:
Personally, I would love to live in Central Austin but I want over 2000 sq ft & under $250K so that ain't gonna happen.
Trying throwing "new construciton" on that list, and you have priced yourself out of every neighborhood west of 35. Dual-income career-driven people with no kids have been bidding against each other for central neighborhoods for at least the last 20 years. Try having a kid for 10K, then shell out 1K a month for daycare, 500 a month for healthcare. then repeat... you will see that suburbs aren't really a "choice". If you don't have kids, that's cool, it's not for everyone. I love my children and there will never be a day that I wake up regretting they were born. I can't say likewise if I was 50 years+ with an overpriced house and no one to leave it to. Hey, maybe you can sell it to one of my kids...

Last edited by jobert; 04-10-2009 at 01:54 PM..

Old 04-10-2009, 02:43 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,256,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
It depends upon the central neighborhood. But tell me I'm not right about Clarksville. Drive through Hyde Park sometime too. Now Allendale I think actually does have some people who chose on purpose to have multiple children. But in general the world of certain 'cute' and hip central Austin bungalow hoods is a world that is subtly, unconsciously anti-family. (Especialy more than one child). Go to the park in Clarksville sometime, and sit there, and watch how the playground equipment is never ever used. But watch how all the cool people who live in the neighborhood bring their expensive dogs to the dog park, and drink wine while they watch the dogs run around and play. Drive through those awesome historic streets and notice how perfect the houses look.

Not that there are policies in place. But there are enough people who need to have their lives perfect living there, that I didn't feel comfortable spending half a million dollars to live in a tiny bungalow in a neighborhood where people like me aren't particularly welcome. Where I won't really have the sense of community I am looking for. IT's so ironic because people in central Austin decry the death of community and think suburban folks just go inside and ignore their neighbors, but in the burbs where I live I get to stand outside and hang out with neighbors and watch kids play together.

In most of the places in Central Austin where kids used to be during the 1940s... in fact, there are not kids there anymore. If they do have kids, its one and the baby is going to be living in the burbs by the time they are 6 or 7. Because the parents will realize they live in a place where no trick or treaters is the norm.... and where people might even give you ugly looks when your kids are running around... and I am talking about little kids here.

As I said I do think it was different about 10 years+ ago.
I can't argue your view of reality, but - no offense- it sounds like the problem is yours not theirs. I really don't think that there is any kind of bias against large families. I do see single kid families more and more, but that might be because of fertility or economics, or maybe just kids that are spaced out more. I've always found people to be a lot friendlier than we give them credit for, especially in Austin. In fact, your post makes you sound kind of judgemental....how do you know a dog is 'expensive' or even if they're not drinking Arbor Mist in those wine glasses? I just don't get the whole suburbs = good for kids and central = kid hater vibe.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
But in no way did I mean to imply that parents who raise kids in a central neighborhood are not making their kids a priority. They just don't have some of the aforementioned advantages that are important to me personally and which I value.

Steve
Thanks for making that clear, Steve.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
I sincerely hope so, and if that's true, then I apologize. I could be wrong but I didn't think the poster was trying to be funny or irreverent or tongue-in-cheek. But, then, it's the end of the week and I'm tired & ready for the weekend of living my selfish childless lifestyle
I didn't get an irreverent vibe at all either, but to each his or her own, I suppose.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
I just find it rude how you constantly criticize the suburbs. I have friends in SW Austin and friends in Central Austin. Why can't you just keep your negative thoughts to yourself?
Thanks for the suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin