Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 03:01 PM

428 posts, read 1,064,828 times

Advertisements

We're considering using PODS to move to Austin, but at my age, I'm really tired of moving furniture (I've moved too many times & was a foreman for a moving company in my 20s) and would love to just let someone else do the work. However, I've seen far too many "cones" (what we used to call bad-at-their-job moving company employees - because they're as useful as the traffic cones we used to set out around the truck if we were blocking traffic) tear stuff up to feel comfortable with just any company.

So, for those of you who've moved long distance and used a moving company that you liked, can you give us a rundown?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 03:07 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,230,888 times
I used Allied to move from CA to Austin. I think PODS quoted me almost 2 times what Allied did.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:02 PM

477 posts, read 1,580,805 times
Hands down, the best is Square Cow Moovers. People think they're local only, but they do long distance. Family owned and operated. Every time I have referred them, I get hugs because people love them so much. Google them and talk to the owner, Wade. You will NOT be disappointed!

Old 03-30-2009, 08:07 PM

433 posts, read 1,657,470 times
Whichever company you use, make sure you get a GNTE estimate (Guaranteed Not To Exceed). In other words, they can't charge you more than the estimated cost on the contract upon delivery to the final destination, even if they underestimated the weight/volume.

They underestimated our long-distance move by almost $1,000, which they had to eat because I had a GNTE.

There's an extremely popular site about moving scams that has ratings. Google it and you'll find it with no problems.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATXTransplant View Post
Hands down, the best is Square Cow Moovers. People think they're local only, but they do long distance. Family owned and operated. Every time I have referred them, I get hugs because people love them so much. Google them and talk to the owner, Wade. You will NOT be disappointed!
Love the name. I just checked out their site and as an ex-mover myself, it was very impressive. I'll be giving them a call. Thanks!

Old 03-30-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
I used Allied to move from CA to Austin. I think PODS quoted me almost 2 times what Allied did.
We have someone from Allied giving us a quote. I already have one from PODS so I'm curious to see now that you've pointed that out.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbnj07 View Post
Whichever company you use, make sure you get a GNTE estimate (Guaranteed Not To Exceed). In other words, they can't charge you more than the estimated cost on the contract upon delivery to the final destination, even if they underestimated the weight/volume.

They underestimated our long-distance move by almost $1,000, which they had to eat because I had a GNTE.

There's an extremely popular site about moving scams that has ratings. Google it and you'll find it with no problems.
That I knew about. The first movers we ever used here in AZ waited for me to leave to go to the new place and cornered my wife in the kitchen and basically demanded she tip them before they finished loading the truck, then when they got done off loading (two hours later than they should have been because they were on the truck horsing around between every trip into the house) they tried to up the bill by several hundred. Needless to say, they didn't get a tip or anything above the estimate.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:12 PM

648 posts, read 1,964,146 times
I think we did Atlas. No complaints.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:02 PM

4 posts, read 14,801 times
I've used Square Cow Moovers for local deliveries and my customers love them because they show up on time. And they're all very pleasant and polite. And their prices are very competitive, which is a bonus! Wade and his business partners actually do the moving, so I feel confident that they'll do a great job. Unlike the guys who are paid minimum wage by large companies who don't care if they damage anything.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:31 AM

3,787 posts, read 6,998,241 times
considering UPACK at the moment. They drop off the bed of the truck, you pack it, they come and haul it to where you're moving. Just throwing another one out there. I've never heard of Square Cows before so I might get an estimate from them as well. We're starting to think that just leaving it all here is an option for what it costs to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: