Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 04:20 PM
m22 m22 started this thread

139 posts, read 586,203 times

Advertisements

We moved to San Antonio a year ago and have visited Austin with our three kids under 6 years old when something fun was going on (street fair, music, etc.)

We recently had visitors come with their kids (also six and under), and were hard pressed to find anywhere to take them in Austin on an ordinary Saturday. They said they just wanted to walk downtown & see the shops & restaurants, may be eat outdoors and peoplewatch. So we ended up parking around 6th Street and walked about two filthy blocks before heading back to the cars, as our kids stepped over sleeping bums and I was called a **** by an angry looking, potsmoking gangster with six scary friends. Our usually easygoing guests were pretty rattled, as were we.

We also were told to try SoCo but didn't feel we are the target demographic for those shops either (tattoos, etc.) unless we're going to eat at Guero's. In which case, we park, eat, leave.

I should preface that I lived in a college town while a student (Go Michigan State!), and raised my children in an urban setting up north. I have visited many major metropolitan cities but am still a little baffled by Austin. Is it so "weird" that two professionals and their kids can't window shop comfortably on a Saturday afternoon? Or may be we haven't found that area of Austin yet?

Is there anywhere CLEAN, safe, walkable and interesting for a young family to visit and be outdoors in downtown Austin? We have more relatives coming in May and they mentioned Austin, much to my apprehension!

I do not mean to offend and hope to be able to enjoy your city with my family and friends in the future!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 04:33 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,036,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m22 View Post
We moved to San Antonio a year ago and have visited Austin with our three kids under 6 years old when something fun was going on (street fair, music, etc.)

We recently had visitors come with their kids (also six and under), and were hard pressed to find anywhere to take them in Austin on an ordinary Saturday. They said they just wanted to walk downtown & see the shops & restaurants, may be eat outdoors and peoplewatch. So we ended up parking around 6th Street and walked about two filthy blocks before heading back to the cars, as our kids stepped over sleeping bums and I was called a **** by an angry looking, potsmoking gangster with six scary friends. Our usually easygoing guests were pretty rattled, as were we.

We also were told to try SoCo but didn't feel we are the target demographic for those shops either (tattoos, etc.) unless we're going to eat at Guero's. In which case, we park, eat, leave.

I should preface that I lived in a college town while a student (Go Michigan State!), and raised my children in an urban setting up north. I have visited many major metropolitan cities but am still a little baffled by Austin. Is it so "weird" that two professionals and their kids can't window shop comfortably on a Saturday afternoon? Or may be we haven't found that area of Austin yet?

Is there anywhere CLEAN, safe, walkable and interesting for a young family to visit and be outdoors in downtown Austin? We have more relatives coming in May and they mentioned Austin, much to my apprehension!

I do not mean to offend and hope to be able to enjoy your city with my family and friends in the future!
A song by Emerson, Lake, and Palmer....with different lyrics...

"Welcome, back my friends, to the show that never ends...
The Austin PR machine is kicking in, so come on by....
We're so glad you can attend, come inside, come inside..
Step over all those bums, while a hippie plays the drums,
There behind the glass, stands a water pipe and grass,
Be careful as you pass..move along..move along.."

"Come inside, the show's about to start,
Guarateed to scare the kiddies, and blow your head apart,
Rest assured you'll get your monies worth,
The greatest show on Earth,
You've got to see Austin's PR show,
It's a dynamo.."

"Right before your eyes,
See panhandlers begging, those same six guys..
Performing on a stool,
is a college kid, a fool,
watch him as he drools...not so cool....not so cool...

So the Austin Pr machine sells a city as family friendly...
with no museums, amusement parks, or rides,
oh so snide, oh so snide.....

We would like it to be known the exhibits that were shown
Were exclusively our own, all our own, all our own...
just for what that's worth,
as Austin's PR machine spreads mirth.....NOT!!!!!!!!"

Hope you all enjoyed that little ditty!

Old 03-30-2009, 04:37 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
6th street isn't really kid friendly, night or day. Someone in our mom's group just recommended a place called "Freddie's Place" that's kid friendly. It's downtown, but not on 6th. They have a website. South 1st looks like a good shopping area. I've walked past at night and really wanted to walk down it a ways, but we were leaving downtown, so didn't get a chance. There's also a website you could look at for a place called Little lounge lizards. It's like a dance club for litte kids and their parents (but kid oriented, not adult). Some of the moms are going there for a playgroup. It's downtown somewhere. Sorry I keep telling you that these places are "somewhere downtown", but I just don't remember the exact street names. Hence, why I tell ya' they have a website

Old 03-30-2009, 04:38 PM

106 posts, read 376,174 times
The children's museum is downtown on Colorado (there's shops around there). Then there's lots to do at Ladybird lake with the park and you can even rent a canoe. We also like to go shop around Whole Foods on Lamar. The Central market area on N. Lamar is nice, too, although not downtown.
Also, one of my favorite places to take my son is the Arboretum. It isn't downtown, but he loves it. Then again, I also take him to S. Congress and Barton Springs Rd. There are some toy stores on South Congress and lots of family-friendly restaurants on Barton Springs. I have always found there is alot to do, but I wouldn't just park my car on sixth street without a specific destination, because I know it is mostly bars, not shops...until you get towards Lamar, and then there are shops.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:42 PM

106 posts, read 376,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
A song by Emerson, Lake, and Palmer....with different lyrics...

"Welcome, back my friends, to the show that never ends...
The Austin PR machine is kicking in, so come on by....
We're so glad you can attend, come inside, come inside..
Step over all those bums, while a hippie plays the drums,
There behind the glass, stands a water pipe and grass,
Be careful as you pass..move along..move along.."

"Come inside, the show's about to start,
Guarateed to scare the kiddies, and blow your head apart,
Rest assured you'll get your monies worth,
The greatest show on Earth,
You've got to see Austin's PR show,
It's a dynamo.."

"Right before your eyes,
See panhandlers begging, those same six guys..
Performing on a stool,
is a college kid, a fool,
watch him as he drools...not so cool....not so cool...

So the Austin Pr machine sells a city as family friendly...
with no museums, amusement parks, or rides,
oh so snide, oh so snide.....

We would like it to be known the exhibits that were shown
Were exclusively our own, all our own, all our own...
just for what that's worth,
as Austin's PR machine spreads mirth.....NOT!!!!!!!!"

Hope you all enjoyed that little ditty!

Wow, good thing to know I should NEVER buy their music.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:17 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,058,660 times
I took my seven year old to the boutiques on South Congress and he LOVED it. It probably would be okay for kids around that age but not much younger. As someone else already pointed out, town lake is a winner as is Zilker Park. He also enjoyed walking around the capitol grounds.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:57 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
The capitol tour, Bob Bullock museum and Zilker Park.
Someplace for lunch and maybe a stroll in the UT campus.
That's about it for kids unless you like going to specific places (store, restaurant, etc).

Old 03-30-2009, 05:58 PM

979 posts, read 2,955,108 times
I would stick closer to the Children's Museum, the capital, Ladybird Lake and the new park with the fountains, and the 2nd street area with children.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:20 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,100,141 times
Shoot! I don't consider myself old enough for 6th street! Nasty place.

Children's museum downtown, walk around 2nd street and City Hall. Capitol Tour, Bob Bullock Museum. Zilker Park, Zilker train. South Congress is great for kids. Eat a cupcake at Hey Cupcake, go to Big Top candy, Kid Genius toy store, Lucy in Disguise with Diamonds (my kids have gone there since they were toddlers), wander down to Little Stacy park and playscape. Head over to Freddies on S. 1st and relax under the trees and have a drink (kids can play in the sand). Town Lake Park with the play fountain is great too.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:32 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,318 times
I agree. Downtown isn't really kid friendly, especially 6th St. 6th Street is the adults' and college kids' playground. You're better off having lunch at Whole Foods or even better the Central Market Cafe on N. Lamar. There's a nice playscape right off the patio there.

You're really best off eating someplace and then driving over to one of the great parks in the Austin area like Zilker for the kids. Austin is definitely not a window shopping kind of town in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin