Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 06:26 PM

45 posts, read 109,027 times

Advertisements

So I will be moving to Austin in Sept with my lady and we are coming down to visit in late May to do some reconnaissance.

First off a little about us
25 and 26 years old, college graduates from Milwaukee, Wi
Liberal, like the outdoors, like to walk vs. drive
Moving to Austin because we can't stand the cold (there is snow on the ground right now and that depresses me to no end) and Austin in many ways seems very similar to Milwaukee with a few notable exceptions, as well as a multitude of other reasons.

1. Neighborhoods to look at.

We don't need to be close to downtown but I don't want to be surrounded by a bunch of strip malls and chain stores. Are there any funky neighborhoods with mom and pop/locally owned stores and restaurants so we can get that but don't have to be paying the prices of downtown living? We will be renting and would like to keep it between $600-1000 max for a one bedroom.

Should we contact an apartment locator? I'm used to going on Craigslist in Milwaukee, but all of the listings have the addresses which it seems like almost none of the Austin CL ads do.

Areas I have heard that seem interesting so far include:
Clarksville, Tarrytown, Travis Heights, Bouldin Creek and Barton Hills.

2. Bars, Restaurants, Things to do

I know this is very broad, so apologize in advance. I would like to really be able to get a feel of what Austin is like, talk to locals etc. I have read a lot about the friendliness of the people and I'd love to be able to experience that. What are on your list of must do's when you have friends and family visit you in your city?

3. Also can anyone comment on the parking situations. Milwaukee has so many god awful restrictions on parking that we joke that paying parking tickets is just another tax levied on the citizens because they are pretty much unavoidable.

Do most apartments include off street parking? If not is parking on the streets an issue? I'm assuming like most downtowns, Austin's can be dicey to find parking?

Also are there any things you would suggest we do when we are down here that I am not thinking about in preparation for our move?

Thanks so much. CD has been an invaluable resource so far in my research and I'm hoping to hear lots of great things from all of the posters out there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 07:18 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,433,493 times
Forget Tarrytown with your price range. That is an upscale exclusive community.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:56 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,316,631 times
I think there are some older houses in Tarrytown that you could rent for 1200. Not the nicest, but hey...
Spacious Apartment w/ Wood Floors + Paid Cable + Pool + UT Shuttle (http://austin.craigslist.org/apa/1099451777.html - broken link)

Old 03-31-2009, 08:08 PM

139 posts, read 450,984 times
might want to also look in brentwood, allandale, and crestview - close to downtown, funky, and very walkable, but better prices than the downtown neighborhoods

Old 03-31-2009, 08:55 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,433,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I think there are some older houses in Tarrytown that you could rent for 1200. Not the nicest, but hey...
Spacious Apartment w/ Wood Floors + Paid Cable + Pool + UT Shuttle (http://austin.craigslist.org/apa/1099451777.html - broken link)
Yuck. They can do much better in another area. 1200 is a rip off for that, just to live in Tarrytown?? No thanks!

Old 03-31-2009, 11:32 PM

322 posts, read 902,926 times
They've lowered the rent to $1,025 when I clicked on it. It's still more than I'd like to pay for rent because I'd like to rent temporarily and then buy a house(but less than my mortgage payment in Alaska and a 2 bedroom apartment in town that looked that nice would probably be close to that here), but being in that location, having hardwood floors and a dishwasher and allowing pets, makes it tempting to call.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:35 AM

45 posts, read 109,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgal78 View Post
might want to also look in brentwood, allandale, and crestview - close to downtown, funky, and very walkable, but better prices than the downtown neighborhoods
Where exactly are these neighborhoods as far as streets go or maybe zipcodes if you will? Its always hard because I hear about neighborhoods but can't really place them on a map.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:01 AM

139 posts, read 450,984 times
78757 is the main zip there - basically north of 49th, south of 183, east of mopac and west of Lamar.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:07 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Brentwood (78756, 78757) and Allandale are a bit north, around the Burnet Road/Allandale Road intersection area. Crestview (78757)is a bit north of them, south of Anderson Lane, east of Burnet. Older neighborhoods that are becoming more popular.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:20 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,316,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
Yuck. They can do much better in another area. 1200 is a rip off for that, just to live in Tarrytown?? No thanks!
The OP asked specifically for Tarrytown. I think they wanted to be central, not everyone wants to live in the suburbs. Me, for instance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin