U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2007, 08:50 PM

2 posts, read 50,242 times

Advertisements

My husband, 3 kids and I are looking to relocate to The Austin area hopefully before school starts up again in the fall. We took a quick trip to visit the area this weekend and found some beautiful homes in the Round Rock area. Finding work will not be difficult for me, as I am an RN. Coming from Chicago, I believe my husband working as a union painter may not be so fortunate. I found the ph # for Painters Union Local 1008 on line, but the # was disconnected.

Does anyone have info on a Painters Union in Austin, if one exists, and what the pay scale is - as I've been told won't come close to Chgo's $36/HR. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 06:50 AM

6,276 posts, read 16,521,046 times
Painters in Austin make $8 to $15/hr.
There is no union that I know of.
Steve

Old 03-28-2007, 07:27 AM

14,383 posts, read 31,573,326 times
Texas is a 'right to work' state, so you cannot be forced to join a union; as a result, unions are very weak (or nonexistent) in the state in many professions. There ARE unions...the electricians, the pipefitters, teachers, etc, but I don't think there is a painters union - at least not in the central Texas area.

Steve is probably right on the pay for painters working for a painting company; however, the man I hired to paint my house before I sold it was an individual and I think he made pretty good money. He is an EXCELLENT painter and did top notch work and provided good service. He had managed to carve out a nice career painting (he was also picking up carpentry, as it often is associated with the painting) and was only in his mid-twenties. I believe he was probably averaging much better than the typical painter, so it is possible to make a career of it.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:24 AM

Trainwreck is right. Good painters can earn more doing high-end or custom work. The prices I gave are what the paid help generally receives.
Steve

Old 04-18-2007, 07:31 PM

1 posts, read 7,268 times
there is a painters union but it is difficult to find work in places like austin i run a union shop GC but work mostly in dallas and if your husband does not do finish sheetrock it is going to be hard but the union rate is up there in the cities even much of the work is non union remember it is near Mexico. Call the building trades council in the capitial there will help you.Good luck to him

Old 08-30-2007, 07:25 AM

2 posts, read 9,440 times
Good Question
I just moved here from chicago as well looking for Austin local ( Painting ) union as well. Thought of just contacting a Union company to find out. Please let me know what you and your husband find out.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:27 AM

389 posts, read 1,468,003 times
Union??
Talk the truth here... from what we see, painting, construction, landscape and indeed even wal-mart are totally saturated with immigrants. I dont have any opinion on this side of the discussion, they work hard, do great work for the most part, and no-one else will do it.. but perhaps this could be why there's no union, and lower pay. Furthermore, if you are from Chicago and think you can do EXTERIOR painting work in the summer here... well, better you than me! ...........sizzle ...........sizzle............
Cheers

Old 08-30-2007, 09:21 AM

Just curious, if there was a Painters Union in Austin, what would they make possible for you that you can't accomplish on your own? Is it a presumed higher wage, job leads, networking?

Old 08-30-2007, 12:50 PM

485 posts, read 1,995,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Just curious, if there was a Painters Union in Austin, what would they make possible for you that you can't accomplish on your own? Is it a presumed higher wage, job leads, networking?
Very good question and one that I'm sure a union steward would have a stock answer for.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 6,013 times
The international union of painters and allied trades (IUPAT) is Dallas local 88 @ 214-824-3564 ask for Tim Gonzalez.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: