U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-02-2009, 08:00 PM
 
Location: Coffee Bean
659 posts, read 1,681,491 times
Reputation: 819

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cls88 View Post
My question might be a bit out of topic. But I was wondering any of the cities (RR, Georgetown, or Pflugerville) has a good retirement community? We are going to retire in a few years (well, maybe like 10 years). I want to get ready by purchasing a house in a good quiet neighborhood that is convenient to resteraunts and groceries. We can rent it out until we retire. We currently have a house in Austin. But it’s too noisy for me. I would like to retire to a smaller community.
Have you thought about Sun City (Georgetown)? It's kind of pricey, but nice and more of a small town environment, but with convenient access to lots of stuff - including Austin if you want to visit the "big city."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-02-2009, 08:09 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
20,964 posts, read 42,498,835 times
Reputation: 24655
Georgetown has several retirement options. Sun City is the most obvious one. Then there's Heritage Oaks, and Texas Traditions, Estrella (Wesleyan just recently opened their assisted living facility there), Oaks at Wildwood, are some.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2009, 08:20 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,052 posts, read 80,669,869 times
Reputation: 27699
Pflugerville has some retirement, "assisted living" apartments but not a community in the sense of Sun City in Georgetown.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2009, 07:45 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
326 posts, read 728,164 times
Reputation: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinitegirl View Post
Have you thought about Sun City (Georgetown)? It's kind of pricey, but nice and more of a small town environment, but with convenient access to lots of stuff - including Austin if you want to visit the "big city."
Thank you very much for the info. It sounds like just the things we are looking for. I will take a ride this weekend.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2009, 07:49 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
326 posts, read 728,164 times
Reputation: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Georgetown has several retirement options. Sun City is the most obvious one. Then there's Heritage Oaks, and Texas Traditions, Estrella (Wesleyan just recently opened their assisted living facility there), Oaks at Wildwood, are some.
Thank you very much. Do you happen to know the zip codes of these areas?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2009, 07:58 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
326 posts, read 728,164 times
Reputation: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Pflugerville has some retirement, "assisted living" apartments but not a community in the sense of Sun City in Georgetown.
Yes the regular retirement community is what we are looking into for now. It feels like the "assisted living" is still so far away.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2009, 08:05 AM
 
Location: Central Texas
20,964 posts, read 42,498,835 times
Reputation: 24655
Quote:
Originally Posted by cls88 View Post
Thank you very much. Do you happen to know the zip codes of these areas?
They're all in 78633 or 78628, I believe. The only other zip code in Georgetown is 78626, and that's east of IH35 - these are all west of IH35. Sun City is 78633.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2009, 08:34 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
326 posts, read 728,164 times
Reputation: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
They're all in 78633 or 78628, I believe. The only other zip code in Georgetown is 78626, and that's east of IH35 - these are all west of IH35. Sun City is 78633.
Very helpful. Thanks.

I was just looking at one house listed in Heritage Oaks and one of the requirements is "50+ yrs of age". Does that mean the buyer's ago has to be that or the person/people live there has to meet that requiremnts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2009, 08:50 AM
 
Location: Central Texas
20,964 posts, read 42,498,835 times
Reputation: 24655
It should be 55+, I believe, according to the Fair Housing Act (I'll have to go double check that), and per that law, depending on what kind of community they qualify for the exemption as, a certain percentage of the people living in the homes in the community have to be 55+. Presumably that means that you could purchase it for later retirement and lease it to someone who qualifies, but, as said, I'd have to double check that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2009, 09:01 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
326 posts, read 728,164 times
Reputation: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
It should be 55+, I believe, according to the Fair Housing Act (I'll have to go double check that), and per that law, depending on what kind of community they qualify for the exemption as, a certain percentage of the people living in the homes in the community have to be 55+. Presumably that means that you could purchase it for later retirement and lease it to someone who qualifies, but, as said, I'd have to double check that.
Please don't worry about it. Great to know. I looked online some of the properties in Sun City. They look good too. And no age restrictions. Thanks for everything.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top