U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2009, 11:05 AM

4 posts, read 9,520 times

Advertisements

We are considering buying a home that feeds into this elementary school.

I have heard that it is 'recognized', but, not 'exemplary' like Lakeway, or, Steiner Elementarys.

I have heard this may have something to do with their large ESL program at this campus.

I have heard from some that it is great, but others that it is disorganized and it's playing a large part in our home buying decision for our now 13-month old baby boy. I know we have a ways to go, but, schools are so important...

Would love to hear from anyone with firsthand knowledge and experience of Lake Travis Elementary especially. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 12:08 PM

7,234 posts, read 13,867,309 times
Are you local? Can you arrange a visit?

Frankly, the ratings are very arbitrary and very small group of students can impact the ratings. Plus, exemplary now is no guarantee that they will have that rating when your child enters school. The ratings are given each year, demographics can change, teachers can change, principals can change.

My local elementary school is rated unacceptable but anglo students pass the TAKS at 99%. The ratings reflects the fact that hispanic and low income fifth graders failed to met the standard on the science section of the TAKS. That's it. One grade, two subgroups, one test = the whole school is rated as "unacceptable."

Large numbers of ESL students can definitely impact testing as can large number of "mobile" students. The school I am referring to has more than half of the student body turn over each year. So the teachers could do a fantastic job with these students but because they are gone the next year, those gains are never reflected in the school's test scores.

Gather as much information as you can, visit the schools, visit the web sites, and try to talk directly with the principals.

And think hard about what you value in education, what type of school you want, and what might work best for your child (bit hard to tell at such a young age).

good luck!

Old 04-02-2009, 01:39 PM

132 posts, read 497,776 times
The above poster is right on, I have an excellent knowledge base of the school.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:34 PM

106 posts, read 342,635 times
I preface this by saying I have not been to the school or talked to the administration, etc. I have heard from several people who live in Lakeway that they don't consider it the best elementary to be zoned to in Lakeway. I also know someone whose kids went to school there and she sold her house and moved so they would no longer have to go there. For her, the ESL was a major hinderance to her children's education.
It could be a great school, but perhaps compared to the other options in Lakeway, it is not as highly regarded. That doesn't mean it won't be right for your child.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:37 PM

106 posts, read 342,635 times
Let me just say that in that area the school zoning will play a huge roll in the value and appreciation of your home. So, from purely a real estate value standpoint, I would go with a home that is zoned to the best schools.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:31 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,769,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth K View Post
We are considering buying a home that feeds into this elementary school.

I have heard that it is 'recognized', but, not 'exemplary' like Lakeway, or, Steiner Elementarys.

I have heard this may have something to do with their large ESL program at this campus.

I have heard from some that it is great, but others that it is disorganized and it's playing a large part in our home buying decision for our now 13-month old baby boy. I know we have a ways to go, but, schools are so important...

Would love to hear from anyone with firsthand knowledge and experience of Lake Travis Elementary especially. Thanks!
I dislike subjective terms like exemplary or recognized & always wonder what exactly they mean....... but the fact that 19% of the kids couldn't pass the TAKs would have me wondering what contributed to this fact.

See the attached map & click just to the left of Austin.

Texas School Performance Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or