Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 08:43 AM

1,317 posts, read 4,056,009 times

Advertisements

It's really tough to get Unemployment in Texas anyway.

I would just apply and see what happens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 01:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,364 times
yes if you are attending school then you are "attending training", as far as people cheating the system, its your money the government takes without the consent from you its just gotten to the point of the hell with what you think the government makes a decision for you, so technically they would be taking money from you in hopes you will use it to provide for yourself if layed off, then turn around and manipulate you and take your hard earned money so that you will give up on the system so the state can fund are community, and state leaders to sit on their butts all day and pay illegals under the table to do the jobs they refuse to do.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:00 PM

4 posts, read 50,359 times
I lost my full time job in June 2009 and started getting unemployment. I've been wanting to go back to school to get a career but never had the time, but then unemployment told me that I would continue to receive benefits as long as I was a full time student. I started what was SUPPOSED to be a one year program, but because of financial aid it's going to be 2 years. Now here it is over a year and a half later, I was getting benefits up until last month in February, when they wanted to sign me up for a second school attendance extension (the 1st one didn't last very long at all!), which I'm STILL waiting for a reply to know if I have been accepted for the extension or not! The worse part is...I have to start my 40 hour a week externship next month in April for 2 months so it's going to be really hard to go get a full time job and do a full time externship at the same time! But after my externship I will be done with school and I can go get a full time career!! How am I supposed to live for the next 2 months without any money?? Are you telling me I should quit school after I'm THIS CLOSE and go get some crappy dead end job and end up on unemployment again next year when another crazy thing happens?? Or go live on the streets in a cardboard box and die of starvation for 2 months just so I can finish school??

Old 03-25-2011, 07:53 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,093,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punky66 View Post
Are you telling me I should quit school after I'm THIS CLOSE and go get some crappy dead end job and end up on unemployment again next year when another crazy thing happens?? Or go live on the streets in a cardboard box and die of starvation for 2 months just so I can finish school??
Unemployment benefit laws vary by state. The laws of your state may be different from the laws in Texas.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
The OP said they were going to school full time. I think it is understood that they are not looking for a job. We are just being honest, not rude at all. Unemployment would be denied.
I know that this post is extremely old but I felt compelled to reply. I am a full time student. I am ALSO employed full time. I searched for and subsequently found my full time position WHILE I was student. An individual who is a full time student may not automatically be bared from seeking employment while attending school. Students who are enrolled in night school or distance learning programs are more than available during "normal" business hours to search for employment.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,847 times
1. School or College Enrollment

In most cases, full-time attendance at a school, college, or university is incompatible with the requirement that a claimant be available for full-time work. The only ways around that requirement are for the claimant to show either that:

(a) the claimant is both looking for full-time work and willing to quit attending classes in order to accept suitable full-time work if offered; or

(b) the claimant's classes do not interfere with the normal hours of work for the kinds of jobs for which the claimant has experience or training, and that the claimant is actively searching for such positions.

Several precedent cases from TWC's Appeals Policy and Precedent Manual dealing with attendance at school, college, or university classes can be found in the "Able and Available" section of the Manual, downloadable at the following Web site: [url]http://www.texasworkforce.org/ui/appl/aa.pdf[/url] (PDF).

Old 12-11-2011, 10:02 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,732,702 times
I think there was no choice in barring FT students from receiving unemployment benefits. If it weren't so the majority of students, who don't and have no intention of working FT, would be trying to receive benefits.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:18 AM

6 posts, read 27,169 times
Actually, in Texas you can go to school and receive unemployment.. as long as it does not interfere with your job search. So if you are enrolled in night school or online classes you can still receive UI in the state of Texas. However, if you fail to meet the required 3 job searches each week, even if it is due to attending classes, you will forfeit those benefits for that week, and may even have your benefits put on hold until you call TWC. I also started drawing unemployment upon leaving the Military. I am doing online classes, and am still looking for a job, so I still receive my "benefits" from the Texas Workforce Commission.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:13 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,419,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefb84 View Post
if you fail to meet the required 3 job searches each week,
The current requirement is 5 searches a week.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:07 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,541,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefb84 View Post
Actually, in Texas you can go to school and receive unemployment.. as long as it does not interfere with your job search. So if you are enrolled in night school or online classes you can still receive UI in the state of Texas. However, if you fail to meet the required 3 job searches each week, even if it is due to attending classes, you will forfeit those benefits for that week, and may even have your benefits put on hold until you call TWC. I also started drawing unemployment upon leaving the Military. I am doing online classes, and am still looking for a job, so I still receive my "benefits" from the Texas Workforce Commission.
stef, thank you for your service and good luck in your search! I see some programs like the Chase Bank 'ChaseMilitary.com' site and hope that it and others like it can make a difference.
Adios
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin