Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 06:02 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefb84 View Post
I don't think you were harsh at all in your comment. I completely understand your views, however, I did not choose to get out. I was about to hit my 10 year mark, and with the Army downsizing I was one of the many that got discharged. About a week before I out-processed I had a few family issues that came up (don't want to get too personal), and we are still having to deal with them. I didn't want to depend on the government and taxpayers dollars, however, I also feel that after serving my country and putting my life on the line in Iraq (twice) and Afghanistan (once) I deserve some down time as well as a free paycheck that I, along with my comrades, provided to the unemployed too. Don't get me wrong, I'm not just sitting at home on my butt taking the free hand out... I am out there everyday looking for a job, being told that I am over qualified, as well as going to school so I can get the job I know I deserve. I am definitely not above driving a dump truck, or cleaning toilets. Also, I would like to thank you and your son for your service and wish you both the best of luck!
I agree, you deserve the down time and the pay check. Thank you for your service. And best wishes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 02:01 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,056,573 times
I work evening shift and am planning to go back to school part time in the afternoon. I'm wondering if they'd expect me to drop out of school should I get laid off or if I would be given the chance to look for another evening job.

It's kind of scary to think I could go try to further my education and should my company decide they don't need me anymore, I'll be forced to drop out of school and possibly face academic and financial aid suspension for a year just like that. Meanwhile, people who have been riding the system get paid to go back to college and don't even have to look for a job. Only in Texas...

Old 09-18-2012, 03:22 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
Meanwhile, people who have been riding the system get paid to go back to college and don't even have to look for a job. Only in Texas...
No, I wouldn't say that is the norm anywhere. Remember, it's called Unemployment Insurance for a reason. It's an insurance program designed to help people who lose their jobs through no fault of their own to stay afloat while they look for another job.

It's not welfare, it's not a giveaway, and the basic rules are pretty much the same across the country. Since it was not originally designed to support full-time students the rules are pretty tight around having returning to work being the priority, and not letting school interfere with your availability for work. That's the same everywhere.

If the worst should happen, talk to a Workforce counselor about your situation. I said IF. No sense worrying about something that theoretical unless it actually happens.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:29 PM

I just realized that yet again I've started replying to an Austin thread. I must have searched the Texas forum and forgot it checks subforums too. Since the thread really has nothing to do with Austin anyway, I'll continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
No, I wouldn't say that is the norm anywhere. Remember, it's called Unemployment Insurance for a reason. It's an insurance program designed to help people who lose their jobs through no fault of their own to stay afloat while they look for another job.

No, after you've been on unemployment for long enough, you can do their job training program where they pay you to go to school and you don't have to look for a job. A lot of those people are ones who haven't really been looking for a job and were taking advantage of the system.

If the worst should happen, talk to a Workforce counselor about your situation. I said IF. No sense worrying about something that theoretical unless it actually happens.
I will worry about it because I've been laid off twice in slightly over two years and I want to have plans in case it should happen once again.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:17 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,789 times
Quote:
I work evening shift and am planning to go back to school part time in the afternoon. I'm wondering if they'd expect me to drop out of school should I get laid off or if I would be given the chance to look for another evening job.

It's kind of scary to think I could go try to further my education and should my company decide they don't need me anymore, I'll be forced to drop out of school and possibly face academic and financial aid suspension for a year just like that. Meanwhile, people who have been riding the system get paid to go back to college and don't even have to look for a job. Only in Texas...
I have been through the system once myself and thought the rules were fair. Three days a week I went through all of my sources via my checklist and did the required documentation. And I didn't put in lame applications either or go for jobs that were not relevant to my experience.

Really if the program was extended to every college student - and that means almost 6 years each just to get a Bachelors - the system probably wouldn't be solvent. Plenty of people work full time and go to school part time. I even have a coworker who does that and has a family and long commute. Other people make sacrifices like cutting their cable/smartphone or living at home in order to go to school. And do you not already have gov't subsidized loans from which you will be claiming interest deductions after school is over? Going to a state school? That is another taxpayer-derived and subsidized benefit. If it still seems expensive I invite you to check out St. Edward's tuition for a little perspective.

And who are those "riding the system?" And who pays them?

Old 09-19-2012, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Really if the program was extended to every college student - and that means almost 6 years each just to get a Bachelors - the system probably wouldn't be solvent. Plenty of people work full time and go to school part time. I even have a coworker who does that and has a family and long commute. Other people make sacrifices like cutting their cable/smartphone or living at home in order to go to school. And do you not already have gov't subsidized loans from which you will be claiming interest deductions after school is over? Going to a state school? That is another taxpayer-derived and subsidized benefit. If it still seems expensive I invite you to check out St. Edward's tuition for a little perspective.
I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing here. I'm not saying they should automatically hand out free money just because you're going to college. I'm just saying if you've been working full time while also going to college and happen to get laid off, they shouldn't refuse to pay you or force you to quit college. You should have an opportunity to look for another job while drawing unemployment benefits just as you would if you weren't taking a couple of classes outside your normal work hours.

As for loans, those aren't nearly enough to cover living expenses. Plus you shouldn't take more than you really need at the beginning of the semester and you can't really decide you want more in the middle of the semester if your needs change. Plus as a taxpayer, you shouldn't have to take loans when you have been paying into the system and are entitled to unemployment benefits.

Quote:
And who are those "riding the system?" And who pays them?
They're the ones doing just what you said above, putting in applications they know they won't get so they can keep getting that mailbox money.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:51 AM

Quote:
I'm just saying if you've been working full time while also going to college and happen to get laid off, they shouldn't refuse to pay you or force you to quit college. You should have an opportunity to look for another job while drawing unemployment benefits just as you would if you weren't taking a couple of classes outside your normal work hours.
My experience is that they consider the entire situation. But as I said before, if you want to get your questions answered on this, you're far better off talking to a WorkForce counselor, rather than looking for answers on an anonymous internet forum.

Quote:
They're the ones doing just what you said above, putting in applications they know they won't get so they can keep getting that mailbox money.
And who, exactly, are those people? Have you talked to them? Do you know for sure what their situations are? How many are there, as a percentage of everyone collecting benefits?

Or are these just some of those legendary folks everyone has heard about, but nobody actually knows.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
And who, exactly, are those people? Have you talked to them? Do you know for sure what their situations are? How many are there, as a percentage of everyone collecting benefits?

Or are these just some of those legendary folks everyone has heard about, but nobody actually knows.
I'm not going to name names but I know at least one person in real life that did it and she learned how from someone else that did it. I've no idea what the percentage is, but I'd bet money it's a significant amount if there was a way to prove it. It's baffling to me that you would actually doubt that there are such people. The only thing you should doubt is if someone says it's a certain type of person that tends to do it.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
I'm not going to name names but I know at least one person in real life that did it and she learned how from someone else that did it. I've no idea what the percentage is, but I'd bet money it's a significant amount if there was a way to prove it. It's baffling to me that you would actually doubt that there are such people. The only thing you should doubt is if someone says it's a certain type of person that tends to do it.
I don't doubt that some people scam their work search requirements, at least part of the time, but I do doubt that a high percentage of people do it as a deliberate habit in place of looking for a job.

After all, it's not like the benefits are all that great. They're only a fraction of the income a person had while working, so the majority of people find it fairly tough to make it on UI benefits, and so they don't remain unemployed any longer than they absolutely have to.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:40 PM

1 posts, read 906 times
i don't know mush about get unemployment while you are style a full time student, but for my opinion it will help many student to have their degree the desire. For me if the stat can do something to help those students who really want to work towards their adduction; it will be a good idea and by project in the future. we will see that USA will cover with many of intellectual. So what do you think about the country with many of intellectual? of course a great country
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin