Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 01:40 PM

2 posts, read 97,674 times

Advertisements

I'm new to texas and was laid off from a non-profit a few weeks ago. I'm working on my MBA in an evening program. Does anyone know if students can still receive unemployment and go to school full-time if their degree (like an MBA) betters their chances for further employment?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 09:20 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,013,687 times
I'd be careful and check immediately. A lot of states do not allow you to go to school while receiving unemployment. My wife's cousin got tagged and owed over $10K back for attending school while receiving benefits in CA.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:26 PM

17 posts, read 124,072 times
It was reported recently that only 20% of unemployed persons in TX actually receive unemployment benefit from the state. Also the state governor threatened to refuse federal stimulus funds which would be conditional on the state widening eligibility for unemployment benefit, because that might cause employers' unemployment taxes to increase in future years.

Having said that, I do not know whether you can receive unemployment benefit while being enrolled in college. I'd suggest that in view of the previous para, the outlook might not be very good for that.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:10 AM

2,185 posts, read 6,432,074 times
Unemployment is to aid you while you search for work, if you aren't searching for work then you won't get unemployment. You might want to try for a student loan which would pay for your necessities as well as your tuition. There are so many people out there who are trying to find work, unemployment can't be for everyone. It was your decision to not go back to work and get your MBA. Just an honest opinion.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:26 AM

593 posts, read 1,377,685 times
I have to agree with llkltk.

I tried getting unemployment when starting college after my stay in the military and they told me that since I was in school full-time that it was unlikely I would be looking for a full time job. They did offer to find me a job but it was clear that I would not receive monetary benefits.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:31 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Iikltk has it right. The only reason anyone should draw unemployment is to help them survive while looking for full time work. Even if you feel your MBA will make you more marketable, that is not a reason for continuing to collect unemployment..

Nita

Old 04-06-2009, 09:04 AM

66 posts, read 330,553 times
Hi,
I may be wrong but it sounds like the OP was working full-time and going to night school. I don't believe people need to judge him the way the last few posts have. By saying, "It was your decision to not go back to work and get your MBA" you are assuming he/she is not working as well. I was a University advisor for a few years and plenty of people attend night classes so they can work full-time. Too me it sounds like he got laid off AFTER he/she enrolled in school.
I just think people seem a little harsh toward this poster. He/she was asking a question not asking for your opinion of his/her choices. Since when is it a bad thing to go back to school? People are talking like he/she is doing some horrible thing by getting his/her MBA. I say good for him/her.
Really sad when you can't get help from the government because you are trying to better yourself. If he/she is looking for full-time work and was working full-time up until he/she got laid off what is the difference if he/she is going to school? (I know the state says there is but I'm just speaking theoretically). It is too late to take out more financial aid until summer and just try to get a private loan with no job. So, I guess, in the opinion of a few here we should let the OP starve because he/she is trying to better him/herself. Sometimes things just seem so backwards.
Sorry if this came across harsh. Just needed to vent a little

Old 04-06-2009, 09:06 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,457,878 times
When I was unemployed in Texas back in 2000. It was explicitly stated that one could not collect unemployment and go back to school (or get training), unless they were part of an organized mass layoff of over 100 people from one site on one day. Even then, there were conditions. I was told people couldn't get any education while on unemployment, because that would take away time when they could be looking for work. Granted I don't know if the rules changed, etc., but that was the situation then. I don't see any changes to the local culture in Texas that would support extending benefits for education.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:08 AM

2,185 posts, read 6,432,074 times
The OP said they were going to school full time. I think it is understood that they are not looking for a job. We are just being honest, not rude at all. Unemployment would be denied.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:25 AM

66 posts, read 330,553 times
I just read the post again to make sure and he said, "I'm working on my MBA in an evening program" and "was laid off from a non-profit a few weeks ago". If he was laid off a few weeks ago it means he was working and going to school. The semester started a few months ago. I could be totally wrong but based on the calendar he had to be doing both.
Full-time for graduate school is only 9 hours. My husband is in a program right now taking 12 hours and working full-time. When I was in my graduate program I took 9 hours a semester (full-time) and worked as an advisor (full-time). It is possible to do both. So assuming they are planning on not looking for work is taking a rather large assumption in my opinion.
I understand that he would be denied unemployment I just thought someone needed to stick up for him a little It felt like (to me at least) he was being kicked for going back to school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin