Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 04:20 PM

15 posts, read 105,622 times

Advertisements

My wife and I recently moved to Austin in February and felt like we bought at the bottom of the market. Just can't see it going any lower than what we purchased at. That having been said, any local experts out there have any news regarding the current state of the local Austin market? I've heard national building starts have been creeping up and mortgage apps have skyrocketed (due to re-fi's, I'm sure) but I'm not sure what's happening locally. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 04:37 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
Money magazine predicts that Austin homeprices will drop another 0.8% and hit rock bottom in Q4 2009. There's a map on cnnmoney.com with predictions for the largest 100 markets inthe US.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:38 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
Who knows?!

So much depends on the micro-market in Austin, in other words, where you bought and in what price range. Right now, the below $250K market is hot, houses are selling quickly but it slows considerable above $350K.

Location matters too and whether or not your house is competing with builders finishing new houses and how much empty land (if any) is nearby.

Over the next year, I expect to see mid and high range home prices soften. You can already see it happening in Eanes and Rollingwood, the mix of homes available is shifting to older, relatively low-priced homes (below 600K), and prices are also coming down.

There is no such thing as a single Austin real estate market! I hope that you will do well.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:10 PM

648 posts, read 1,963,918 times
To ditto Central, who knows?!

My opinion is the high priced properties (over 400K) are going to significantly soften. The higher the price point, the more the softening.

Why?

1. High price point purchasers theoretically have investments they use to buy homes. Who hasn't taken a massive hit on their investments?

2. California, NY, etc has all seen at least a 30% hit in their property values. No longer does Austin have the migrants from these regions coming with boatloads of cash?

3. Softer wages in austin generally, coupled with a softening labor market. Read an article in either the Wall Street Journal or Bloomberg recently how they expect high tech to lag significantly in recovery.

4. The inventory at these price points is sitting and building.

Last edited by Exiled Texan; 04-05-2009 at 06:17 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 04-05-2009, 06:41 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
Well, it's still a mixed bag, but I felt a surge of adrenaline today that I haven't for a while.

After finally finding the right home for one of my buyers yesterday (the home's first day on the market), we went into 2006 mode because I had a strong feeling the home was going to have multiple offers at full price. After viewing, I immediately sent the buyers to my office, called my wife to go meet them and write up the offer (I had another appointment), met everybody back at the office and we got the offer submitted a couple of hours later.

Sure enough, we just barely beat the tsunami as I drove all the way out past Dripping toward Fredericksburg to get final buyer initials on a written counter-offer this afternoon. As I was leaving buyer's house the listing agent called to see if we had an executed contract yet and told me other offers were coming in.

One of our own listings received a fp offer at 3 days on the market last week. Phones are ringing, we're slammed with appointments and something has shifted in buyer mood, which I can't put my finger on yet. I wouldn't call it "urgency" yet, though we are seeing that on some specific deals, such as my example, but it seems like the fear and reluctance to buy is lifting, and buyers are coming out of the woodwork wanting to write offers.

I haven't seen a return of investors yet though. Mostly a lot of first time buyers and move-up buyers.

Anyway, that's my take on it at present. Next week could change again though, but I really think people are feeling cautiously optimistic again.

Steve

Old 04-05-2009, 07:10 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,016,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled Texan View Post
No longer does Austin have the migrants from these regions coming with boatloads of cash?
True, they don't have boatloads of cash, but they are still coming. The net inflow of people to Austin will sustain prices by the simple law of supply and demand. I looked online through trulia and found that even foreclosures in my neighborhood are selling for what I paid 18 months ago ($100/sf). This is a 200K-300K neighborhood, and that may have something to do with it. I have confidence in this market, and anyone (especially first timers) thinking of buying should too.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:15 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,122,230 times
One thing that struck me today was how much the recent hail storm will benefit the local economy? Roofers, insurers, and Car repair places are now fully booked. I wonder if such a local event can stimulate the local economy into a micro-recovery.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:15 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
Glad to hear your news Steve!

I can remember August of 2007 (maybe the 9th?), something just "shifted" and you could feel the air start to go out of the market (that is when the interbank lending rate suddenly quadrupled). There is definitely a psychology to the market, Keynes called it "animal spirits" but sentiment definitely plays a role in whether or not buyers will pull the trigger or "keep looking" or decide to "lease and buy later."

Old 04-06-2009, 07:52 AM

477 posts, read 1,580,640 times
In the lower end (under $300K), I have been writing offers and going up against multiple offers. My guess is that it's the first-time buyers in a frenzy to get the tax credit and low rates. I definitely feel things changing as my phone has been ringing off the hook with people I haven't heard from in months. I went to show one of my own listings in Steiner on Saturday. When I got there, there were three other Realtors waiting in the yard to show as someone was inside showing already. 2 other cars pulled up and asked if it was an open house. I said, "It is now!" One of those people wrote an offer. I've been working until 3 a.m. again - haven't had to do that since I was a broker in CA between 2000 and 2005.

I too feel the surge of adrenaline.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:08 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
My neighbor is an agent with some years behind him, and he has mentioned that it is buiser at this time of year for him than he can ever remember it being. I don't know anything about the price ranges or whatever, but he did mention it is not overly busy, per se, just busy for the 'slow' time of year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin