Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 09:08 PM

176 posts, read 218,595 times

Advertisements

Since I've been here (almost 5 years), we have had sticking snow one time. Every year we get a few days when it freezes (maybe 2-3 days?), and every couple of years or so we get enough some ice on the roads and the city (well, at least AISD and UT) has a late start or a day off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 08:37 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,049,567 times
Freezes at least each year, but obviously not like further north.
Occasional damaging hail. Most of the tornados aren't very big.
Drought has been more of an issue in recent years than others.

I remember a graphic about the worst weather+natural disaster risk cities in the US and Dallas was tops. Austin was in the top 10 I think, but well below Dallas. I'll have to try to find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley_crain View Post
Austin gets an average of 5 tornadoes per year. Usually they are low intensity (Cat 0 or 1) but the Jarrell Cat 5 tornado proved that they can get severe.
The F-0 tornados are not a big deal. I remember reading Houston has an above average number of tornados, but they're all small like that. I lived there 3-4 years and remember an F-0 went through a suburban parking lot and you couldn't tell anything even happened except a shattered window of an older building. It was a joke.

Like others said, we don't really get the big monster tornados like Tornado Alley, but we're close enough to it there is the occasional Jarrell event not far (I remember that clearly - tragic).

Old 02-21-2015, 02:35 PM

Here is the link to the graphic/maps mentioned.
NYT graphic/maps

Old 02-21-2015, 07:05 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Here is the link to the graphic/maps mentioned.
NYT graphic/maps
That map is incredibly flawed. It has no compensation for the destructive effects of each peril - hail or wind are equal to earthquakes and hurricanes, as if hail will level your house. Whatever. I just consider the source. Wrong about everything else.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
That map is incredibly flawed. It has no compensation for the destructive effects of each peril - hail or wind are equal to earthquakes and hurricanes, as if hail will level your house. Whatever. I just consider the source. Wrong about everything else.
I know, with the big map. But the smaller ones below it show approximate tornado, earthquake, hurricane risk.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:10 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,979,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
I agree (shocking, I know

It also make no attempt to correct for issues that are mitigateable/avoidable vs. those that aren't.

I live in the central city, out of the flood plain. So I'm not going to see floods or wildfires. If I put a metal roof on the house and actually park in the garage, I've substantially mitigated issues with hail (small chance of being caught out driving). If I keep trees properly trimmed, problems with wind are reduced.

Unlike Cali, if the big one hits there, nothing I can do to really help.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:57 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,882,652 times
Freezing weather about a dozen times or so each winter. But weeks and weeks of just above freezing conditions and cloudy weather that are very "blah". These days are interspersed with brilliantly sunny and mild days.

Tornadoes are rare, never had one in this area since I moved here. More frequent are hailstorms about once every five years.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:39 AM

176 posts, read 263,413 times
I commute by motorcycle and check the temps every morning before I head out the door. We've had more than 40 days this year where the temperature was at or below freezing in Northeast Austin.

*Edit- more than 40 days this winter, not in 2015.

Last edited by Return2Paradise; 02-25-2015 at 10:56 AM..

Old 02-25-2015, 11:47 AM

416 posts, read 588,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBB_bear View Post
Since I've been here (almost 5 years), we have had sticking snow one time. Every year we get a few days when it freezes (maybe 2-3 days?), and every couple of years or so we get enough some ice on the roads and the city (well, at least AISD and UT) has a late start or a day off.
We just had a two-hour delay yesterday in the RRISD.

How common is this crazy weather during the winter? It's been pretty dreary since we got here at the end of January, punctuated by a nice day here and there, but it's mostly been cold and rainy, and now two icy days with more possibly forecasted in the week to come. Supposed to hit 60 today, but I'll eat a hat if it does... huh, just checked weather again, now they're saying 57 for a high.

Looks like your weather people here are as good as back home.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:04 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,049,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2Paradise View Post
I commute by motorcycle and check the temps every morning before I head out the door. We've had more than 40 days this year where the temperature was at or below freezing in Northeast Austin.

*Edit- more than 40 days this winter, not in 2015.
40 days! I don't believe you. How far NE do you live? I check the weather pretty closely and we have actually have very few days when the temperature dropped down to freezing much less below. Probably only 4-5. I'd have a lot more dead plants in my yard if we had as many freezing days as you claim. I've only had to cover the potted plants on my back yard deck about 3 times so far this year. They are green and healthy. Only two potted plants in the front yard experienced a little freeze burn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin