Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 07:37 AM

176 posts, read 263,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
40 days! I don't believe you. How far NE do you live? I check the weather pretty closely and we have actually have very few days when the temperature dropped down to freezing much less below. Probably only 4-5. I'd have a lot more dead plants in my yard if we had as many freezing days as you claim. I've only had to cover the potted plants on my back yard deck about 3 times so far this year. They are green and healthy. Only two potted plants in the front yard experienced a little freeze burn.
Really, you think we've only had 4-5 days of freezing temps this winter? We've had more than 5 days of 32 degree or below temps in February alone. What time of day do you wake up and check the temps? That may have something to do with your assessment. I live off of I-35 and Howard.

From Climatezone.com:
http://www.climate-zone.com/climate/.../texas/austin/

Austin, TX Avg. Number of days with Min Temp Below Freezing

Jan 8.0
Feb 4.0
Mar 1.0
Apr 0.0
May 0.0
Jun 0.0
Jul 0.0
Aug 0.0
Sep 0.0
Oct 0.5
Nov 1.0
Dec 5.0
Annual 19.0

And this year has been much colder than average.

Last edited by Return2Paradise; 02-26-2015 at 08:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 09:02 AM

375 posts, read 319,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2Paradise View Post
Really, you think we've only had 4-5 days of freezing temps this winter? We've had more than 5 days of 32 degree or below temps in February alone. What time of day do you wake up and check the temps? That may have something to do with your assessment. I live off of I-35 and Howard.

From Climatezone.com:
Climate Information for Austin*-*Texas*-*Southwest*-*United States*-*Climate Zone

Jan 8.0
Feb 4.0
Mar 1.0
Apr 0.0
May 0.0
Jun 0.0
Jul 0.0
Aug 0.0
Sep 0.0
Oct 0.5
Nov 1.0
Dec 5.0
Annual 19.0

There is a pretty big disparity in different areas of town. It was 36 on my patio at 430 AM this morning in Cedar Park. SO told me it was 28 at 5 AM at his work down by the airport. My patio has seen many days at 32 or below this winter.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tams here View Post
There is a pretty big disparity in different areas of town. It was 36 on my patio at 430 AM this morning in Cedar Park. SO told me it was 28 at 5 AM at his work down by the airport. My patio has seen many days at 32 or below this winter.
Sure, but I don't believe there's any one place in Austin that has been at or below 32 degrees fewer than 5 days this winter. Unless that thermometer is next to a heat lamp.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:59 AM

375 posts, read 319,035 times
Quote:
Sure, but I don't believe there's any one place in Austin that has been at or below 32 degrees fewer than 5 days this winter. Unless that thermometer is next to a heat lamp.
Oh I agree. The post in question raised my eyebrows about only having 4- 5 days at freezing or below this winter. I'm just sayin' there seems to be a big tempature disparity in Austin and both of you may be right with your observations.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:24 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:

From Climatezone.com:
Climate Information for Austin*-*Texas*-*Southwest*-*United States*-*Climate Zone

Jan 8.0
Feb 4.0
Mar 1.0
Apr 0.0
May 0.0
Jun 0.0
Jul 0.0
Aug 0.0
Sep 0.0
Oct 0.5
Nov 1.0
Dec 5.0
Annual 19.0

Those averages prove nothing. The cold we have had has been barely colder than what we have experienced in the past.

I don't know why there is so much difference in the list of below freezing days you provided but this website disagrees with yours. Intellicast - Austin Historic Weather Averages in Texas (78723)

It lists the average high and low temperatures for every month. Not a single day all year long has an average low temperature below freezing.

I see now that the website you linked to says the same thing, so it appears we were not talking about the exact same thing. Still I am absolutely certain that your claim of 40 days below freezing this winter is false. And I'm going by what the news has reported. You do know that Winter starts Dec. 22 right? But even if I give you Nov. and Dec. we have not had anywhere near 40 lows below freezing.

If it has been as cold as you claim, why is it that I have not had a single potted plant in my front or back yard freeze killed this last 5 months? At worst a couple had minor frost burn.

Last edited by CptnRn; 02-26-2015 at 11:34 AM..

Old 02-26-2015, 04:04 PM

Ron, it sounds like you're confusing daily low temperatures with average temperatures. This thread is about how often freezing weather occurs in Austin, which means how many times the daily lows are at 32 degrees or below. Averages are completely different.

The data I presented does not refer to average daily temps either. It's the average number of days per year where the temperature reaches 32 or below.

I'm aware of when winter starts, but the thread title is "How often does Austin get freezing weather and/or tornadoes", not how often, only during the specific winter calendar, are average temperatures below freezing.

Also, I don't use plants as an indicator of temperatures, I use thermometers and reports from weather stations. It sounds like you using different methods, and I'm fine with that. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:12 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Ron, it sounds like you're confusing daily low temperatures with average temperatures. This thread is about how often freezing weather occurs in Austin, which means how many times the daily lows are at 32 degrees or below. Averages are completely different.

The data I presented does not refer to average daily temps either. It's the average number of days per year where the temperature reaches 32 or below.

I'm aware of when winter starts, but the thread title is "How often does Austin get freezing weather and/or tornadoes", not how often, only during the specific winter calendar, are average temperatures below freezing.

Also, I don't use plants as an indicator of temperatures, I use thermometers and reports from weather stations. It sounds like you using different methods, and I'm fine with that. We'll have to agree to disagree.
I understand that, I think I made that quite clear in my last post. There still is no evidence that there have been anywhere close to 40 days in Austin with a low temperature of 32 or less in Fall 2014 and Winter 2015 as you have claimed. Your claim of 40 days is hugely exaggerated.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:13 PM

174 posts, read 311,836 times
To the OP. Honestly? Rarely.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I understand that, I think I made that quite clear in my last post. There still is no evidence that there have been anywhere close to 40 days in Austin with a low temperature of 32 or less in Fall 2014 and Winter 2015 as you have claimed. Your claim of 40 days is hugely exaggerated.
Ron, you accuse me of hugely exaggerating. What data are you basing this on(your plants don't count)?

Here you go, sort for daily lows in Austin:

Historical Weather Data - Search by City and Date

The weather station that site uses recorded 28 days so far this year where the temp was 32 degrees or below, with another 30 days that were just a few degrees higher than that. So it's entirely possible that the 41 days I've recorded so far at my location is accurate, since my are is typically slightly colder than other areas. Suddenly your claim of 4-5 freezing days is looking like the wild under-exaggeration. Post up your data if you'd like to refute.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:45 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,215,602 times
Austin winters suck, honestly. False advertising. There's nothing to offset the 5 months of Hates. No chance of real snow but just gloomy, gross and cold enough. Throw in some glorified sleet to shut the city down and kill a few people. Allergy counts through the roof. Who could ask for more?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin