Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 04:05 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,217,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowback View Post
I don't recall anyone advertising Austin as a winter destination...

Why so bitter all the time?
You said "destination", I did not. People on this board have advertised Austin winters as "mild." For years. The media does as well in all of the 'Best Places to live and Work' lists. It's always mentioned. CA winters are "mild", Austin's are not.

I'm not bitter. Allergies counts are through the roof in winter and people die on the road every time it's in the 30s and it's wet here. Next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 04:26 PM

Quote:
If this thread is any indication, I don't see any "mild" comments
Perhaps if you had more C-D experience than just THIS MONTH you would be able to comment accurately on the issue.

The topic was freezing weather, hence winters, so I'm on topic but thanks for your concern.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:29 PM

176 posts, read 263,604 times
There seem to be quite a few Austinites viewing our city through rose colored glasses for some reason. Maybe they're freakishly enthusiastic about their choice of places to call home and are blind to the negative aspects. Hard to fault someone for that I guess. Or maybe they just never really venture out of the house. This thread is a perfect example. Someone started this thread in hopes of getting straight info about the weather, and several responses say it rarely freezes here, when hard facts paint a completely different picture. 28 DOCUMENTED freezing days and 58 days where the temps were in the mid 30's or colder.

It's almost March, it's 31 degrees according to the NWS and there is currently a thin sheet of ice on the hood of my truck.

Last edited by Return2Paradise; 02-27-2015 at 06:07 PM..

Old 02-27-2015, 05:40 PM

416 posts, read 588,644 times
Well, as my cousin (who was stationed in Killeen for several years) said to me the other day, "There are two types of weather in Texas - f'n cold and f'n hot." I had to laugh, though only briefly - that's really Arizona weather.

As a newbie resident of Austin, I'm rather enjoying this thing called 'weather,' that goes along with this concept of 'seasons.' I haven't seen either since I lived in Southern California over fifteen years ago.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
freezing weather is certain not analogous to allergies
Categorically incorrect. Do you actually live here? Presence and counts have everything to do with weather. Case in point:
Cedar allergies kick in two weeks early

Quote:
as allergens occur all year round.
Wrong again. Only one allergen here occurs year round, mold, ALL other pollens are seasonal. You can reference the sticky to read up; CptnRn has provided a wealth of info. Also Let me google that for you

Old 02-28-2015, 04:41 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,168,216 times
Gotta love our extreme weather down here in Texas.

Old 02-28-2015, 04:46 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,168,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2Paradise View Post
There seem to be quite a few Austinites viewing our city through rose colored glasses for some reason. Maybe they're freakishly enthusiastic about their choice of places to call home and are blind to the negative aspects. Hard to fault someone for that I guess. Or maybe they just never really venture out of the house. This thread is a perfect example. Someone started this thread in hopes of getting straight info about the weather, and several responses say it rarely freezes here, when hard facts paint a completely different picture. 28 DOCUMENTED freezing days and 58 days where the temps were in the mid 30's or colder.

It's almost March, it's 31 degrees according to the NWS and there is currently a thin sheet of ice on the hood of my truck.
I believe it, and factoring all the low temperatures that happen at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin