Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 05:21 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,432,372 times

Advertisements

Goodwater will end up with a lot of vacant unleased spaces. The type of people that move into Georgetown, retirees mainly will not go for this type of concept. Good luck with the sales.

Also, New Urbanism and Texas don't mix. Coming from Seattle, I know far more about it than you do. These types of concepts don't work so well in Central Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 05:58 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,532,885 times
Anything that has growth outpacing thoughtful development will encounter sprawl whether it be a company or a community. It is just plain hard to keep up with resources when you are going gangbusters. If anyone lived in Denver in the early 90's, you know they experienced much of the sprawl that Austin has been getting hit with. Now they have to contend with it years later to try to rein it in to get their personality back...much like Austin will have to do. That being said, people who move to Denver now think its the greatest place ever...but they didn't know it back then when there was a lot of empty space between Denver/Boulder and Denver/Co Springs. That whole I-25 corridor feels like one big city. I will likely feel the same way about Austin everytime I visit...I-35 just stretches on and on as does Mopac now. IMO Portland OR is just about the only city that managed it's growth well. Very hard to do. And Austin is still a great city in spite of it...just hope it keeps its character in tact.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:00 PM

One line..."paved Paradise and put up a parking lot". There is a reason that song was written. Not a new concept and Austin is not immune just like most other great places to live.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:12 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
Goodwater will end up with a lot of vacant unleased spaces. The type of people that move into Georgetown, retirees mainly will not go for this type of concept. Good luck with the sales.

Also, New Urbanism and Texas don't mix. Coming from Seattle, I know far more about it than you do. These types of concepts don't work so well in Central Texas.
Actually, in Austin, they do mix. Your stereotypes of Texas and what works here notwithstanding.

So, how much do you know about New Urbanism? Sustainability? Vernacular architecture? (Did you know there's a little enclave of Christopher Alexander-designed houses in Austin? He built them here.)

Also, how much do you know about "the type of people who move into Georgetown", personally? My office happens to be in Georgetown, and we're pretty familiar with who moves to town, and while, yes, Sun City does attract its share, it is hardly the whole, or even most, of Georgetown, nor do those retirees who move there make up the bulk of the people moving to town.

Were you aware that the entrance to S.H. 130 (and IH35) is just a few hundred yards down the road from the entrance to Goodwater, and that Parmer/Ronald Reagan is going to cross (well on its way, as it happens, to getting there) 195 a couple of miles the other direction, leading directly into Austin?

In this economy, most developments are going to be having difficulties, no doubt. But while Goodwater may be one of them, it isn't going to be having difficulties just because of its design, as you would wish to believe.

One wonders WHY you are so adamant that sprawl is preferable to this kind of development or that this kind can't possibly work. Steretypes aside, that is.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:10 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,035,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrigirl View Post
Anything that has growth outpacing thoughtful development will encounter sprawl whether it be a company or a community. It is just plain hard to keep up with resources when you are going gangbusters. If anyone lived in Denver in the early 90's, you know they experienced much of the sprawl that Austin has been getting hit with. Now they have to contend with it years later to try to rein it in to get their personality back...much like Austin will have to do. That being said, people who move to Denver now think its the greatest place ever...but they didn't know it back then when there was a lot of empty space between Denver/Boulder and Denver/Co Springs. That whole I-25 corridor feels like one big city. I will likely feel the same way about Austin everytime I visit...I-35 just stretches on and on as does Mopac now. IMO Portland OR is just about the only city that managed it's growth well. Very hard to do. And Austin is still a great city in spite of it...just hope it keeps its character in tact.
Isn't there a section of interstate in Denver called the "Mousetrap", where it backs up for miles in afternoon and morning rush?

Old 04-08-2009, 07:18 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,432,372 times
Well, only the test of time will tell you if you are correct. You could be wrong but of course you only think your thoughts are the right ones. You claim to be the expert many times, so I thought I would try it out as well.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:20 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post

How does coming from Seattle lead you to know far more than THL on the new Urbanism? That really sounded pompous and obnoxious... were you working for microsoft ? Seriously though, it was just that type of pompous "I live in Seattle" attitude that drove me away after 18 years. Please don't bring it here.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:34 PM

Mousetrap was always bad...even before the boom. THAT was just poor planning in general.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:26 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,290,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Well that's where City Council and community organizations can step in. Not in a "no-growth/nimbyist sort of way, but with a progressive, informed attitude that determines what kind of growth and development would best serve their region/neighborhood. Over time I just think quality civic design will prove a superior choice by even casual observers.

Have you read this book?
Suburban Nation

The writers(Andres Duany and Elizabeth Plater-Zyberk and Jeff Speck) don't simply put down suburban living but promote quality design which in turn creates quality communities which in turn raises property values.

Here's an editorial quote from Publishers Weekly:

(The authors) "challenge nearly half a century of widely accepted planning and building practices that have produced sprawling subdivisions, shopping centers and office parks connected by new highways. These practices, they contend, have not only destroyed the traditional concept of the neighborhood, but eroded such vital social values as equality, citizenship and personal safety. Further, they charge that current suburban developments are not only economically and environmentally "unsustainable," but "not functional" because they isolate and place undue burdens on at-home mothers, children, teens and the elderly."
That is probably one of the best books I've ever read. My copy is so tattered and worn that I think I need to buy a new one.

The age of the suburb is coming to an end. The suburbs have tried to blend the best of city and rural living, but have failed miserably at both. In fact, the suburbs are the WORST of city living (traffic) and country living (too far from everything).

Old 04-08-2009, 11:55 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
That is probably one of the best books I've ever read. My copy is so tattered and worn that I think I need to buy a new one.

The age of the suburb is coming to an end. The suburbs have tried to blend the best of city and rural living, but have failed miserably at both. In fact, the suburbs are the WORST of city living (traffic) and country living (too far from everything).
I've got to check out that book. Is this why some states are moving to outlaw cul-de-sacs? The latest is Virginia -- Whither Suburbia? Virginia all but outlaws cul-de-sac construction in face of traffic costs

Makes sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin