Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 07:44 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,597,398 times

Advertisements

I actuall do-not think traffic has been bad at all for 2009; compared o 2008

As for the rest, I have to agree for the most part. Central TX including Austin has so much potential being very outdoorsy itself, but thanks to Rick Perry and his hoarding, the parks here stinks for the most part. What I feel about Austin / burbs also is the 'lack' of public neighborhood parks that are just not swing sets and slides. Even in my old neighborhood (was living there for 7 years) and very stable. I had a huge empty lot behind me and across from me. Developers in Cedar Park decided to put up more commercial building / apartments. Living in this community was nice, but to me soon even Cedar Park is going to get a surprise about what family values are all about.
~ So these are some things I wish they would change / look into for the greater Austin area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goaliefight View Post
So I went to Austin for the first time last weekend. I've been thinking about relocating for a while and Austin came up to the top of my list for a lot of reasons:

* Lots of tech jobs.
* Affordable cost of living.
* Mild winters compared to Kansas.
* Good nightlife.
* Supports an active outdoor lifestyle.

Unfortunately, I don't think Austin is going to make the cut. Here are some reasons why:

* Poor highway and heavy traffic problems. It seems like Austin outgrew it's infrastructure.
* Austin is a huge sprawl and is growing too fast
* Cheap college graduates are too much competition for decent careers.
* Not much to do other than go to bars.

I will say these positives about Austin for anyone else looking:

* The people are very friendly.
* Austin feels like a very safe place to live.
* The new airport is great and easy to get into and out of.
* Austin has a fun relaxed night life with tons of beautiful college women.

I'll probably circle back after I visit a few other places because there are a lot of pros to living in Austin. Hope someone finds this info helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Homeboy View Post
Austin outgrew its infrastructure - Yes, but people keep moving here and demanding more infrastructure which in turn leads to more people moving here and demanding more infrastructure which then leads to - Austin is a huge sprawl. Go Figure.

I joined the toll-road bandwagon and life has been much easier on the roads

Old 04-07-2009, 08:18 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,016,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78613 View Post
I actuall do-not think traffic has been bad at all for 2009; compared o 2008

As for the rest, I have to agree for the most part. Central TX including Austin has so much potential being very outdoorsy itself, but thanks to Rick Perry and his hoarding, the parks here stinks for the most part. What I feel about Austin / burbs also is the 'lack' of public neighborhood parks that are just not swing sets and slides. Even in my old neighborhood (was living there for 7 years) and very stable. I had a huge empty lot behind me and across from me. Developers in Cedar Park decided to put up more commercial building / apartments. Living in this community was nice, but to me soon even Cedar Park is going to get a surprise about what family values are all about.
~ So these are some things I wish they would change / look into for the greater Austin area.

I strongly feel that there will be a huge move back to the central area the next 10 years, which will be exacerbated by the same abject lack of "neighborhood" in all of the north burbs, and all of the newer parts of Austin proper as well........I recall when I first moved to Austin, and lived in a mega-complex, there was not even a small park within jogging distance, and literally no place to bike or jog other than residential streets......at least I was renting, and got out soon....never could understand how families could live in a home in the same areas with zero public amenities....

Old 04-07-2009, 08:34 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,549,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
....never could understand how families could live in a home in the same areas with zero public amenities....
I like being in a "no public amenities" neighborhood in the suburbs for safety of the kids in the neighborhood. I can look outside my door and immediately spot someone that has no business being in our neighborhood and call the Police if they look suspicious enough. All the public amenities give people a reason to be near your home whether it's to actually frequent those places or for ulterior motives.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
I like being in a "no public amenities" neighborhood in the suburbs for safety of the kids in the neighborhood. I can look outside my door and immediately spot someone that has no business being in our neighborhood and call the Police if they look suspicious enough. All the public amenities give people a reason to be near your home whether it's to actually frequent those places or for ulterior motives.

That is why. you look out the window or door. Try stepping outside, walking to a PARK and enjoy the outdoors for your neighborhood. I can't stand hermits (Hermit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia); but I am sure you see lots of theifs, bank robbers, looters and americas most wanted. Maybe if you go outside, you can walk up to them and ask them why are they here?... lol

Old 04-07-2009, 08:50 AM

2,185 posts, read 6,412,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
78731, central Austin.
Ahh, am I correct to assume that you are a liberal, suburban hating person?

Old 04-07-2009, 08:50 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,025,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
Gag!

Ack, I would never live in "fortress suburb" as you describe. I live near the interstate, near a high school, near a gas station, near a hotel, near subsidized housing, near a public pool and park heavily used by the folks in the subsidized apartments as well as the homeless AND the well-to-do folks in the neighborhood

I have three young children, I know all my neighbors (every single one my block, and 80% on the next block, about 40% on the block after that and there are over 1000 people on my list serve.) I feel safe and neither I nor my children nor our property have ever been affected by crime.

My kids are learning the skills and values that I hoped they would learn: how to greet everyone regardless of station in life, how to be kind, how important a smile is, how to distinguish a poor person from a person who might be dangerous (they are not the same), how to tell which high student is being kind and who is a bully), how to live with all kinds of people, how to be part of a community.

My kids have also learned how to be involved, they were carried to City Council meetings, nursed through neighborhood association meetings, they help deliver newsletters, take care of neighbors trash when they are away.

To each his own I suppose but I wouldn't change places with you for a million dollars!

Old 04-07-2009, 08:51 AM

2,185 posts, read 6,412,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I prefer to shop and eat locally, and I'm very rarely south of Mopac/290.
You pretty much live in the sprawl. Try heading down SH45, there are plenty of trees down here.

It's interesting how central austinites complain of the sprawl but choose to live near the sprawl because it's convenient.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:59 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,025,446 times
I don't complain about the sprawl, I rarely see it because my entire life is focused on central austin. But many people who live central have lived here a long time (many bought houses in central austin when they were much more affordable) and they remember the woods, empty hills, and farm fields where new strip malls now lie.

I remember tiny Round Rock before Dell even existed. Now RRISD is getting a fifth high school! It is shocking and surprising to see places that were empty or wild five years ago, ten years ago, much less 20 years ago packed full of houses and bordered by big box stores and fast food.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:59 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,549,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post

To each his own I suppose but I wouldn't change places with you for a million dollars!
That's the great thing about the Austin area. It does have different areas for everyone. We can all be comfortable with our own level of safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin